IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Product Reviews - How To

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Safale S-04 Dry Yeast, For Emergencies and Just for Beer!
Overall Rating of Safale S-04
Overall Rating of Safale S-04
10 Excellent [ 11 ] ** [23.91%]
9 [ 7 ] ** [15.22%]
8 [ 16 ] ** [34.78%]
7 [ 5 ] ** [10.87%]
6 [ 4 ] ** [8.70%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 2 ] ** [4.35%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
1 Awful [ 1 ] ** [2.17%]
Total Votes: 73
Guests cannot vote 
cj in j
post Jan 7 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #1

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

Safale S-04 is another very good dry yeast (see review of Nottingham Dry Yeast for a good summary of the benefits of dry yeast). I keep this, along with Nottingham, in my fridge at all times for emergencies and for those sudden "I want to brew today" beers. Safale has been described as giving beer a "bubblegum flavor," and I did notice this in a couple of pale ales when transferring to secondary. However, I haven't picked up anything but a nice maltiness in any finished beer I've used this yeast with. It starts quickly, ferments strongly and quickly, and flocculates pretty well. All in all, this is a nice yeast and should be in every brewer's fridge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brueno_X
post Jan 7 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #2

Stewart

Member No.: 1,455

Yes, we keep a pack or two for emergencys. Have even had to lend a pack to another local brewer that didn't get his smack pack to work.

+Quote Post
Schneider_Artois
post Jan 7 2005, 09:58 PM
Post #3

Brewer

Member No.: 1,740

I gave it an 8.
I think I'd only use it for pales, I guess most English styles and would perhaps bridge over to brown or stout if I had to.
Physical properties are excellent, very easy to use, but it's a touch fruity (bubblegum is spot on) for some styles.

+Quote Post
kbreuer
post Jan 8 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #4

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 1,593

Used this yeast in an APA with Simcoe and Cascade. Big mistake. I couldn't taste the hops because of the pronounced bubblegum flavor this yeast imparted on my beer. The bubblegum flavor was so apparent that I thought my beer was infected until I read other peoples opinions on this yeast. Will try this yeast in a English Pale ale and see how it impacts the taste.

+Quote Post
Chauvan
post Jan 11 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,251

I love this yeast. Fast fermentor. I've used it in a brown and an IPA without the bubblegum flavor.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Jan 14 2005, 03:45 AM
Post #6

on hiatus...

I walked into my apartment today and smelled . . . bubblegum! Yeah, this yeast throws off a nice sweet aroma while fermenting. I have two pale ales going side by side (had to move them by the front door where it's cooler -- those puppies are 12F warmer than ambient (ambient = 58F, fermentation - 70F). I'll give them a day or two extra in primary to help clean up the gum, and then it's dry hopping and cold conditioning time, baby!

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Apr 6 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #7

on hiatus...

Just wanted to followup on this -- after two weeks of conditioning, bubblegum was nearly completely gone. Now after more than a month in the bottle, no bubblegum at all! Just keep temps down during fermentation and you should be fine.

+Quote Post
Beer Engineer
post Apr 6 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #8

Brewer

Member No.: 843

I'm not gonna vote yet...b/c I haven't tasted the results yet. I made a Wee Heavy with this yeast. It fermented out hella fast and was in secondary by day 4. No noticeable bubblegum scent during primary...but I did have massive blowoff...

+Quote Post
Brew-boy
post Dec 9 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #9

Homebrewer

Member No.: 6,451

I used this yeast in my first all grain batch a European Ale, I did not notice any bublegum smell or flavors. I have used Safale-56 as well with good results.

This post has been edited by Brew-boy: Dec 9 2006, 09:26 AM

+Quote Post
phalanxausage
post Dec 11 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

Member No.: 197

I've been using this yeast in my bitters lately & it does a very good job. I rated it a 7 just because I wouldn't use it in anything other than a pale. Fast starting, fast fermenting, very flocculent with a moderate ester profile & a slight tartness that accents the lemon peel undertone Challenger hops contrubute. I feel that tartness would clash with a brown or a mild & the malt character isn't quite right for either of those styles as well. I do love it in a pale. I'll be trying an american pale with it soon to see how that does.

+Quote Post
consumes
post Mar 20 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,329

i used this yeast on a rye amber .. and i wasn't able to pick out any hop character either .... i have another packet and im going to try again now that i have a oxygen system

+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 20 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #12

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,342

This yeast works great for a dry stout. The slight tartness the yeast provides really works well with the roasted character of the roasted barley and bittering hops.

+Quote Post
CarlosM
post May 20 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #13

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 10,834

I used this to make my Make Shift Porter and well it is fantastic. Great malty finish, I think I may enter it into a competition.

+Quote Post
Smurfe
post Oct 17 2008, 01:57 AM
Post #14

Group: New Member
Member No.: 10,848

I use the Safale yeasts for most all batches now. Closest LHBS is 240 miles away that has a decent selection of White Labs yeasts and living in the Deep South makes shipping in the summer a pain as I am rarely home when they are delivered and they sit outside all day in the sun when delivered. I use the S-04 and S-05 a lot. I have used the S-23 lager yeast with great results as well. I have never had the bubblegum smell that has been reported here. I do have a very cool fermentation area though. I always have Safale yeasts available in the fridge.

+Quote Post
bigben
post Oct 17 2008, 06:50 AM
Post #15

Brewer

Member No.: 8,708

I used this yeast in most of my malty ales porter and stouts and really like it. but like has been previously stated it does throw off a fruity flavor young. given time it makes a nice malty clear beer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th February 2018 - 03:12 PM