Total Votes: 209
Guests cannot vote 
calvey
post Jul 4 2006, 05:02 AM
Post #16

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,268

The Barley Crusher is an absolutely great mill. GREAT!

I purchased one for $109 + s/h after buying another company's very crappy $140 mill that doesn't work half the time. I think the Barley Crusher is twice as good as that mill.

It's light, works right out of the box, the crush is great.

If you're looking for a mill, this is the best value out there !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
consumes
post Oct 31 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #17

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,329

ordered one last night .. can't wait to mill my own ...

+Quote Post
Hopdropper
post Nov 6 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #18

Group: New Member
Member No.: 6,925

QUOTE(consumes @ Oct 31 2006, 09:10 PM) *
ordered one last night .. can't wait to mill my own ...

Just passed the info to my wife to order the BC too.

I'm a little conflicted because most of my fellow club members are sold on the MaltMill (made just up the road in Marengo) and the C&S site really touts their rollers being 1.5" as opposed to the 1.25" used in the BC. The BC just seemed to be the most economical and complete setup.

Is the additional 1/4" in the roller diameter really an issue?

+Quote Post
consumes
post Mar 13 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #19

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,329

I love this mill ... im trying to figure out if i get a better crush at higher speeds with the drill ......how fast do you run this puppy ??

+Quote Post
Mike E.
post Mar 13 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #20

Brewer

Member No.: 7,001

Allright, fess up.. who voted on the 3 out of 10 for this masterpiece of engineering? You dog!

Mike

+Quote Post
dadzcool
post Sep 1 2007, 07:25 PM
Post #21

Brewer

Member No.: 6,137

Been using mine for six months....this is a great mill.

+Quote Post
Leroy
post Jan 21 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #22

Brewer

Member No.: 8,780

I have had mine for a few months now and love it. I didn't buy the extra loading bin but I am working on making my own. It is easy to use. Just spray it off with the air hose after each use like the instructions say to keep the grain powder out of the bushings and to prevent bacteria from growing on the rollers. If things do get clogged because you didn't do this, it is easy enough to take apart and clean or return to them for a free cleaning except for the shipping cost.

+Quote Post
wnordmann
post Feb 29 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #23

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 10,927

Can I [my wife] mill flour with this mill? With any Homebrewing mill?

+Quote Post
015reddog
post Mar 20 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #24

Brewer

Member No.: 626

I wouldn't trade this mill for any other on the market.

Cheers,
Dog

+Quote Post
ncbeerbrewer
post Apr 9 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #25

Brewmaster

Member No.: 10,954

I just ordered my BC yesterday and its already on its way here. Wow I can't wait to get this thing Cranking. Will report back with some reviews.

Mike

+Quote Post
Lovibond69
post Apr 11 2008, 09:27 AM
Post #26

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 9,433

I've had this mill for a few years now and have run a ton of grain through it (literally)! It continues to give me consistently milled malt.
I motorized my mill w/a bovine gear head electric motor - it runs at 60 RPM. Slow and steady is right for me - perfect crush every time.
I have never had to wait for the mill. I fill it up the bin - flip on the switch and the grain is crushed long before I reach my strike temp.

+Quote Post
ncbeerbrewer
post Apr 19 2008, 08:52 AM
Post #27

Brewmaster

Member No.: 10,954

Well as I stated a few days ago. I am back and ready to give a review of the BC. I milled my first batch with this product two nights ago. I milled 10.50lbs of grain. I used the handcrank and was done in about 20-30 mins. Sorry motorizing is cool and all but come on how lazy can you be, hand cranking is a snap. I milled my grains through just one time and my BC is set at the factory setting no changes. The grain came out good with flour and husk material spread throughout. I brewed last night and calculated my eff at 85% which is the best eff I have had yet to date, that was All Grain batch #3. I have to admit that this mill lives up to any billing it has as a superior product. I have never owned or used any other mills other than at the LHBS but BC is great. Also commend the company of superior customer service. I ordered mine about mid to last afternoon and it was shipped the next day and had arrived two days later. This is also a great product in the fact that it recomends a direct drive for motorization and you do not need to use the spools and belts like you see often, just gotta keep the RPM down and can even use a 3/8 drill. So all in all I highly recomend this mill to anyone thinking about making the plunge into home grain milling. I also feel the 7lb hopper is more than enough since this is not a commercial operation here either. Hope this product works out for you as great as it has for me so far. I can't wait to mill my grains for the next batch.

Happy Brewing,

Mike

+Quote Post
LBG Bill
post Apr 19 2008, 09:33 AM
Post #28

Brewer

Member No.: 6,774

QUOTE(consumes @ Mar 13 2007, 12:08 AM) *
I love this mill ... im trying to figure out if i get a better crush at higher speeds with the drill ......how fast do you run this puppy ??

I've heard most say around 200rpm.

Found this at BYO: http://byo.com/departments/1123.html

It gives parts lists as well if you want to build a grain stand w/ motor.

Cheers!

QUOTE(ncbeerbrewer @ Apr 19 2008, 08:52 AM) *
I used the handcrank and was done in about 20-30 mins. Sorry motorizing is cool and all but come on how lazy can you be, hand cranking is a snap.

Try doing 25# or more and then tell me if your arm isn't a wee bit tired (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/devil.gif)

QUOTE(ncbeerbrewer @ Apr 19 2008, 08:52 AM) *
This is also a great product in the fact that it recomends a direct drive for motorization and you do not need to use the spools and belts like you see often, just gotta keep the RPM down and can even use a 3/8 drill.

Its only happened to me once, but once was enough. I was milling away with my drill when all of a sudden the drill cranked hard in my hand and the mill flipped and shot the grains all over my basement. What happened? There was a rock in the hopper. A very small rock, but one that was strong enough to stop the rollers, which caused the entire mill to try and spin. If had been using a pulley system, the belts would have started slipping and there wouldn't have been any clean up and I wouldn't have been very pissed for that brew day (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

I've had my BC for around 2 years, never an issue, never a concern. I love it (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

**edit, added more word vomit**

This post has been edited by LBG Bill: Apr 19 2008, 09:43 AM

+Quote Post
Bytor
post Jul 28 2008, 05:33 PM
Post #29

Brewer

Member No.: 11,424

QUOTE(ncbeerbrewer @ Apr 19 2008, 09:52 AM) *
Well as I stated a few days ago. I am back and ready to give a review of the BC. I milled my first batch with this product two nights ago. I milled 10.50lbs of grain. I used the handcrank and was done in about 20-30 mins. Sorry motorizing is cool and all but come on how lazy can you be, hand cranking is a snap. I milled my grains through just one time and my BC is set at the factory setting no changes. The grain came out good with flour and husk material spread throughout. I brewed last night and calculated my eff at 85% which is the best eff I have had yet to date, that was All Grain batch #3. I have to admit that this mill lives up to any billing it has as a superior product. I have never owned or used any other mills other than at the LHBS but BC is great. Also commend the company of superior customer service. I ordered mine about mid to last afternoon and it was shipped the next day and had arrived two days later. This is also a great product in the fact that it recomends a direct drive for motorization and you do not need to use the spools and belts like you see often, just gotta keep the RPM down and can even use a 3/8 drill. So all in all I highly recomend this mill to anyone thinking about making the plunge into home grain milling. I also feel the 7lb hopper is more than enough since this is not a commercial operation here either. Hope this product works out for you as great as it has for me so far. I can't wait to mill my grains for the next batch.

Happy Brewing,

20 to 30 minute!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/eh.gif) Man that is a LONG time to be spinning the crank! With the electric drill you can do 5 minutes max for 10+ pounds of grain. My brew day already takes a good 5 hours, don't want an additional 25 minutes milling grain.

The BC really does kick ass -- no set up, fits right over brewing bucket, no attachments to hook up drill.....A+ product.

Mike

+Quote Post
CarlosM
post Jul 28 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #30

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 10,834

got mine a month ago and cant wait to use it. How do I adjust it?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2018 - 07:23 AM