post Jan 22 2009, 08:06 AM
Post #16

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,181

QUOTE(karrezza @ Jan 20 2009, 12:39 PM) *
http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm ..

What a piece of JUNK...................

That would explain why mine's been working great for over 4 years and over a ton and a half of grain. You don't need the O-ring. I can only comment on the bare bones model - that's what I have.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
realbeerguy
post Jan 22 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #17

Brewer

Member No.: 8,688

QUOTE(DJ in KC @ Jan 22 2009, 08:06 AM) *
That would explain why mine's been working great for over 4 years and over a ton and a half of grain. You don't need the O-ring. I can only comment on the bare bones model - that's what I have.

+1

Have mine for over 8 years, bare bones, no o-ring. typically get 75-85% eff. Would suggest motorizing.

+Quote Post
karrezza
post Jan 22 2009, 01:45 PM
Post #18

Group: New Member
Member No.: 13,829

QUOTE(realbeerguy @ Jan 22 2009, 10:00 AM) *
+1

Have mine for over 8 years, bare bones, no o-ring. typically get 75-85% eff. Would suggest motorizing.

The issue I had is , for the price, its cheaply made and I should not have to do a bunch of modifications to get it to work. I dont want to motorize it, I want it working out of the box, not with a cracked hopper and broken base.

What he advertises on site is not what you get, period. If it shows a drive gear, the one I got should have had a drive gear. 78% 80%... I dont know what those numbers mean with efficiency... seems you can only get that number if you have had 100% and know what its like... but do yours have the gears on the side, by the crank?
If it did, and made better, for maybe 30 min more labor time, could yield maybe 90% eff.??

Point is what I bought is not what he advertised and his responses were incredibly rude. Be whole different ball game had he treated me the customer with respect, after all I gave him my $$. I trusted him, and I wasnt rude when I told him my issues, as their warranty says to do right away....

+Quote Post
DJ in KC
post Jan 22 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #19

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,181

I've had a few E-mail exchanges with him. They were cordial and productive. I would recommend dealing with him anytime based on my experience. Yeah, it would have been nice to have something besides pressed wood product on the sides. But it still looks good and works fine at my place. I imagine it will outlast me.

+Quote Post
Brewby my beer
post Jan 23 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #20

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,332

QUOTE(karrezza @ Jan 22 2009, 01:45 PM) *
78% 80%... I dont know what those numbers mean with efficiency... seems you can only get that number if you have had 100% and know what its like... but do yours have the gears on the side, by the crank?
If it did, and made better, for maybe 30 min more labor time, could yield maybe 90% eff.??

Do you know anything about making all-grain beer? It doesn't seem so from your quote above.

This product is a perfect example of the internet market spoilers who ruin it for us all.

He's been making these since long before there was such a thing as "The Internet".
He also has many different options available and it helps to know what your ordering when you order it.
(The one point I do agree with you on is that he should have pictures of the different models on the site and make sure they are the same as what he is shipping out)

The drive system is the worst part of design in that the o-ring will fail and is susceptible to grain jamming in the same area. A gear drive is the common design here so both rollers will have sufficient torque to actually "mill" the grain. Mr. Schmidling says the o-ring, should it fall off, is not necessary. The mill will work without it. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Work great with or without the O-ring.

Mine is over ten years old. There is no rust anywhere on it. Nothing has fallen apart. I use a drill to power it. Works great, well worth the price.

+Quote Post
tag
post Jan 28 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #21

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,681

I have used my JSP MaltMill for 10 years now with no problem whatsoever.
The only thing I changed was a bigger hopper. I use a drill to motor it.
The boards are fine.
The O-ring is only there to turn the second roller when there is no grain in it. The grain does in fact cause the 2nd roller to turn.
Your brother's suppositions are incorrect.
I couldn't recommend it more highly.

+Quote Post
robyn
post Dec 1 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #22

Group: New Member
Member No.: 15,275

My husband mentioned he one of these for Christmas. Which one do I get for him?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2018 - 10:31 AM