Group: Members
Member No.: 1,251

The Brewmaster's Bible - The Gold Standard for Homebrewers
by Stephen Snyder
HarperPerennial
c. 1997
ISBN 0-06-095216-4
US $20.00/ Can $28.50

Perhaps because it is dated material that I felt the need to scratch my head with some of the advice and history that was given in this book. Overall, it's another basic walk-thru of the brewing process. The shining star of this book are the multitudes of tables scattered throughout.

It has an exceptionally large recipe section, but I found a couple of the recipes lacking in guidance, but they generally were pretty good.

As far as recommending this book, I'd say save your money. There are many other books that cover the subjects Mr. Snyder covers much better. His bibliography shows that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sidney porter
post Mar 4 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 733

I consider this a recipe and ingredient book more than a process book.

As far as ingredients it is good.

I used the recipes quite a bit when I was doing extract, which seems to be the majority.

The recipes are submitted by snyder, pro-brewers, and LHBS owners. Doesn't look like edited was done on the recipes, for example there is a brewer from great lakes that doesn't give measurements "hand full of cascade" I am all for this type of brewing but not in a published recipe.

For the beginner extract specialty grain brewer I recommend it as a recipe and ingredient reference. Even with the lack of editing on some of the recipes

+Quote Post
phalanxausage
post Mar 5 2005, 02:46 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 197

It's pretty crappy. I saw it at a used book store for $5 & would advise paying no more.

+Quote Post
BrewHeel
post May 12 2005, 05:59 AM
Post #4

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 3,732

read it cover to cover a few times. ok but nothing to separate it from the many other similar books. recipes were to basic for me in many instances, would take to much time and energy to convert the extract ones i liked to AG. pass

+Quote Post
hophead
post May 12 2005, 06:33 AM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 504

Agree with the others. I have it and would recommend you spend that $20 on Radical Brewing, Designing Great Beers or How to Brew.

+Quote Post
bob_the_botanist
post Jan 20 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #6

Brewer

Member No.: 4,278

I think it is arrogant to call your own book a bible. I am not a die hard Christian or anything, but I believe it is really tooting your own horn when you compare your book to something as timeless as a the bible. When I write my book I am going to call it the Koran of brewing just because Islam has more followers. Who cares if they don't drink booze. My book will have to sell copies if I call it that.

I don't have a problem with someone else relating a book to a sacred text, but not the author or publisher. And for all of you that think I am just being picky the author then claims that his book is "the gold standard in brewing", Plllleeeeaaaseee, give me a break.

I didn't even think this book was that good. Brief malt descriptions and a big list of extract recipes does not a bible make.

If you are starting out a better holy text would be Joy of Homebrewing or Designing Great Beers.

+Quote Post
Rhyolite & Beer
post Apr 28 2006, 07:55 AM
Post #7

Homebrewer

Member No.: 1,496

It's a decent reference book, but that's about it. I certainly used it a lot more when I first started, to read up on specific grains, hops, etc., but not so much anymore.

+Quote Post
cbbrew
post Jan 12 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #8

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 7,920

As new to brewing as I am, I would agree in the fact that it is basicly a reference piece. Quite the recipe list. I Thought Homebrewing for dummies was a bit more in depth.

+Quote Post
VanderBeer
post May 2 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,063

Not a bad book for the extract brewer because of the large number of recipes, but as an all grain brewer I felt it lacking.

+Quote Post
Onthekeg
post Jul 19 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #10

Brewer

Member No.: 8,103

I wish I would have seen these reviews before I purchased this book.. As an AG'r it is a waste of cellulose to me...
I also concur with the title of "Bible" not accurate and being arrogent. save your money folks!! If you see it at a garage sale maybe.

+Quote Post
paison
post Jul 19 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #11

Homebrewer

Member No.: 8,318

I bought it also before I read this. I got my ingredients yesterday for my first AG now I'm afraid I'll screw something up I was going to use the book as a guide.

+Quote Post
HanSolo
post May 8 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #12

Brewer

Member No.: 11,335

QUOTE(Rhyolite & Beer @ Apr 28 2006, 08:55 AM) *
It's a decent reference book, but that's about it. I certainly used it a lot more when I first started, to read up on specific grains, hops, etc., but not so much anymore.

I agree. It has lots of recipes so you can compare or mix same styles. Lots of calculations and reference. I keep it around just for reference.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2018 - 11:42 PM