Total Votes: 49
Guests cannot vote 
Argyll
post Jan 17 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #1

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 855

Available from Northern Brewer, Austin HBS, and others.

Seems well-made. Takes 1/2" ID hose. I have a good vertical drop so I've had no flow problems. In fact, the first time I used it my flow was too fast and I ended up with 84F deg. wort. For the second use I slowed it down and ended up at 74F. It's pretty compact - even with the hose barb attached at the top it will mostly fit down inside my sanitizer bucket. I leave the barb fitting on the top all the time, so connecting it requires a short piece of heat-resistant hose to run from the kettle to the chiller (either silicone or the thermoplastic hose that NB sells), then an output hose at the bottom which dumps into the fermenter. I don't have fancy QD's so it also requires three hose clamps total - one at the kettle and two on the chiller.

Sure beats the heck out of immersion chillers for efficiency, but I know that immersion chillers have some benefits as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
terricksa
post Feb 14 2005, 07:47 AM
Post #2

Brewer

Member No.: 917

Used mine for the first time this weekend and loved it except for the connections on the ends. I wish they would have left them alone and let the buyer put on whatever they wanted. For example they put 2 male garden hose ends on it and the one wort tube they have a thread piece of pipe.

All in all very good but I also want to see how well it does in the summer months.

+Quote Post
erichonour
post Sep 17 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,500

I picked up a chillzilla used on eBay a little while back. It works like a champ. I agree about the connections -- the double male garden hose ends are ridiculous. I wish getting all the rinse fluid out of the chiller was a little easier. Still, I gave it a 9.

EH

+Quote Post
golfpro
post Dec 3 2008, 09:33 AM
Post #4

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 10,304

Sometimes a little difficult to clean if it sits for awhile. Clean it after each use and it works well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2018 - 10:32 AM