Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
tjthresh
post Jan 19 2005, 07:27 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,283

I had a bottle that I shared with my LHBC last night for big beer night. It was 2003 vintage. I really wish I didn't share it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Triple Freak
post Jan 19 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 889

Aroma 8/10
Appearance 4/5
Flavor 8/10
Palate 4/5
Overall Impression 18/20
Total 4.2/5
Bottled in 2003. 11.9% ABV. My bottle was aged for a year already when I bought it. I aged it an additional 3 months. Served in a snifter glass. 22 oz. brown bomber bottle, with silver foil covering the snap cap. Satisfying pfftt when opened. Poured out a deep black opaque color, with reddish / caramel colored highlights at the egde of darkness. Head was dark tan colored, and minimal.
Aromas are of licorice right off the bat, with strong maltiness following as it warms slightly. Hops are somewhat noticeable, with a nice, earthiness to their aromas. I was actually afraid to open this beer, because I’ve heard so much about how overpowering it was. Well, aging must have taken it’s toll, because it’s nothing to be scared of. The licorice aromas meld nicely with sweet caramels, English toffee, anise seeds, the hops, and alcohols.
Very aromatic, and changes as it warms up. Tastes are of strong malts, espresso coffee, warm caramel, and the alcohols, of course.
Waxy, thick mouthfeel. Oily, slick, waxy, and smooth are the only words I can find to describe the mouthfeel. It’s like chewing on a coffee scented wax candle, sort of. Definitely a meal in a glass.
Warming alcohols hit your gut hard when swallowed. Not "hot", but very warming. Finishes dry, almost astringent. This beer has a definite puckering power to it. Well balanced flavors, so nothing dominates the flavor profile. A really nice, well made Russian Imperial Stout from the dedicated brewers at Avery. Good show, gentlemen!

+Quote Post
huleoo
post Jan 19 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,208

Like the way you post your reviews Triple! I have several bottles of this put away. I was thinking about drinking one sometime soon, but reading your review makes me want to wait at least several more months.

+Quote Post
Triple Freak
post Jan 19 2005, 04:13 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 889

QUOTE(huleoo @ Jan 19 2005, 12:59 PM)
Like the way you post your reviews Triple! I have several bottles of this put away. I was thinking about drinking one sometime soon, but reading your review makes me want to wait at least several more months.

It couldn't hurt to age it awhile longer. It only gets better with age.

+Quote Post
Promega
post Jun 11 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #5

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 11,393

one of my favorites

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th November 2018 - 06:49 PM