Total Votes: 9
Guests cannot vote 
HighTest
post Feb 14 2005, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

Chouchen is a type of mead, and was the Celts' favorite drink because they believed it offered immortality for humans and a "sacred state of drunkenness" for the gods. The first appearances of Chouchen in Brittany date back to the middle of the 3rd century B.C. The production region of Chouche is the true Celtic region of Brittany.

This version of Chouchen is made in France (Warenghem, 22 Lannion, Brittany) and has been aged for 2 years in oak. It has the semi-sweet mead character like the standard Chouchen which plum/pear in aroma and flavor but the oak aging has added quite a bit more complexity. The flavor takes on an additional woody and slightly vanilla tone and the finish is a bit brighter and more assertive. The oak aged version of Chouchen needs to be chilled to help mellow the finish to pull it all together into a more complex sophisticated mead.

I found this mead to be quite good. The honey nose is much lighter than many meads, and it has quite a complex character. As noted above, it should be served chilled (45-50°F), and sipped slowly to allow the flavors to develop. I do recommend it.

I know of one vendor: Liquid Solutions, Price $14.75/ 750 ml bottle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gusso
post Feb 14 2005, 02:00 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,175

I ordered the taditional version (minus the oak aging). I'm looking forward to its arrival.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 12:32 PM