Total Votes: 28
Guests cannot vote 
Normis
post Feb 24 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #1

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 43

Color - Pours out thick and black as midnite - no real head to speak of.

Aroma - Aromas of black chocolate, raisins, barbecue (never been much at the aroma description!).

Taste - First taste is sweet, with a smoky overtone. Taste of alcohol overpowers everything else on the finish.

Overall, I'd give this baby a 3.5/5. Pretty decent overall, but not enough going on to keep me interested.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Triple Freak
post Feb 25 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 889

Aroma 9/10
Appearance 4/5
Flavor 9/10
Palate 5/5
Overall 18/20
Total 4.5/5
ABV 8.5%

Winter 2002-2003 batch. Strong smell of alcohol when opened. Faint raisin aroma also. Strong currant aroma & taste. Hop aroma non-existent. Low hops bitterness in this batch. Alcohol taste is overwhelming. Dark tan head that fades quickly, leaving slight lace on top. Big, malty profile, some diacetyl present, but not to excess. Bittersweet chocolate taste towards finish. Black as the Ace of spades! Goes down easily, maybe too much so, because this big, malty brute will sneak up on you. A very warming beer, great for matching with a chocolate mousse dessert, or maybe a nice piece of New York cheesecake with fresh
raspberries on top. A great brew for those upcoming cold winter nights. I suggest buying 1 case like I did, and letting them age awhile. Not to be given to friends, most aren't worthy of such a beer.

+Quote Post
TimApNy
post Apr 1 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,244

I tried a pint of this in Boston with a bowl of England Clam Chowder and it was a great experience. I saw a bottle of it in a store a month ago or so. After wiping the dust off he bottle I decide it wasn't worth buying the bottle. It was stupid money for a bottle that was sitting on the shelf well over a year.

I thought it was a really nice balance with the Chocolate, any more chocolate would have turned me off. I've very picky when it comes to chocolate and I enjoyed this beer.

Tim

+Quote Post
WinkyDowBrewing
post Feb 19 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #4

Brewer

Member No.: 8,104

I became a huge fan of this over the 2006 winter season. It had a bit much of an alcoholic punch to it, but overall it had a nice robust taste to it with some coffee overtones...this winter was a rivalry between this brew and the Chicory Stout (dogfish head). Chicory won, mainly because it was a very unique stout and was lower on the booze content so it was a bit more "user friendly" if you will.

+Quote Post
PotownAl
post Nov 3 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 9,208

The 2007 is perfect...big roasty flavor...I just bought a case.

+Quote Post
RobWestendorf
post Dec 22 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #6

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 10,885

I have had this in past years, and been disappointed. It seemed awful light on the chocolate for a "chocolate stout". However, this week I had some of the 2007 from a nitrogen tap (Mecklenburg Gardens, Cincinnati). Ooh Baby! Nice chocolate, very nice roast, perfect smooth "nitrogen" body. Not sure if I want to buy some bottles, and risk disappointment.

+Quote Post
papasmurf
post Feb 12 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Brewer
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 11,035

Overall not to bad. The color was pretty nice but I found it lacking a memerable flavor. A very unremarkable beer but I'd still give it a 6.5.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th August 2018 - 04:21 AM