post Feb 27 2005, 02:45 AM
Post #1

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

Servo FAQ
contributed by Typhoon Brewer

Q: What is Servo?
A1: Servo is an abbreviation for Servomyces.
A2: From the White Labs web site: “Servomyces is a nutritional yeast supplement (GMO free) that was originally developed for German brewers by Weihenstephan and the Munich University. It conforms to the restrictions of Reinheitsgebot. Servomyces enables any yeast strain's ability to incorporate essential nutrients into its cellular structure.” Additionally, Servomyces is a naturally enriched single-strain brewing yeast that is used as a biological yeast nutrient.

Q: When did Servo first hit the market?
A: Early 2001, but only for professional brewers. It became available to homebrewers in early 2005.

Q: How do I use servo?
A: As the directions on the package state, add it to your brew pot during the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Q: What is Servo made of?
A: Servo is actually yeast and through its production process has had zinc added.

Q: So if Servo is yeast do I need to pitch yet another yeast to ferment my wort or is the Servo enough?
A: While Servo is yeast, it is not a live strain. Therefore, yes you will need to pitch a live yeast strain to ferment your wort. Servo is a nutrient only.

Q: What does Servo do on a molecular level?
A: Basically it stimulates uptake of maltose and maltotriose, depending on the brewing strain, which results in higher alcohol yields. It also stimulates protein synthesis and yeast growth which leads to higher biomass production during propagation.

Q: What are the benefits of using Servo?
A: Folks that have used servo have reported complete fermentations in as little as three days for Ales and five days for Lagers. Also, Servo has been proven to:
-- Increase flocculation
-- Greatly reduce harsh sulfur notes
-- Improve the health and viability of yeast
-- Reduce levels of diacetyl at the end of primary fermentation
-- Produce faster, more complete attenuations
-- Increase yeast production for a better harvest
-- Improve the quality of the finished product

Q: What problems have been reported with the use of servo?
A: Thus far the only reported “problem” with Servo has been with the capsule. Depending on how vigorous your boil is the capsule may not disintegrate releasing the nutrients. There are a couple of options for this issue. The obvious workaround is to break open the capsule, over the brewpot, and add that way. Others have made suggestions of adding the capsule at 15 minutes left in the boil or add the Servo to a bit of hot wort in a saucepan before putting it in the kettle.

Q: I make wine/mead. Can I use servo?
A: Yes, Servo can be used in all fermentations, including beer, wine, cider and mead.

Q: If one capsule is good, does adding two make it better?
A: That depends, too much of a good thing can be bad for your new beer. Actually, too much servo can slow your fermentation.

Q: What price can I expect to pay for Servo?
A: I have seen it listed from $9.95 per six pack to $15

Q: Where can I get more information?
A: Here is the link from the Brew Board chat with Lallemand Scientists, Tobias Fischborn & Forbes Wardrop.
Here’s the link from the Brew Board chat with White Labs, Dr. Chris White.
Here are some other links that discuss Servo in more detail:
Yeast Bank, Servo
White Labs, Servo
Lallemand, Servo
BrewBoard, Servo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th July 2020 - 11:34 PM