IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules FAQ Rules

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How can I format the text in my posts?, (bold, underline, hyperlinks, etc...)
kroyster
post Feb 27 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 201

Q. How can I add formatting to the text of my posts?
A. Use the built-in BB Code (Bulletin Board Code) buttons and tags.

BB Code typically consists of pairs of text tags that change the format of the text between them. They typically look like [{bbcode}]some text [/{bbcode}], where {bbcode} might be replaced with B to make it bold, or U to make it underlined. The tag that begins a formatting is called the opening tag, and the tag that ends the formatting is called a closing tag. Notice that closing tags include a '/' inside the brackets, but are otherwise identical to the opening tag.

BOLD, ITALICS, UNDERLINE, QUOTE: A group of commonly used BB Codes are included as buttons above the text box where you enter your post. To insert bold, italics, or underlined text, place your cursor where you want the formatting to begin and click on the appropriate Code Button (eg B, I, or U). An opening BB Code tag will be inserted in the text of your post to mark the beginning of the formatting. TIP! Notice that the button will change to include an asterisk, indicating that you have an open tag that now needs closing. Finally, place your cursor where you want the formatting to end and press the same button again to insert the closing tag.

FONT, SIZE, COLOR: In a similar manner, you can change the font, size, and color of your text using the appropriate tags. However, instead of clicking a button to open and close the tags, you select from a drop down list to open the tag, and you click the 'Close all Tags' link to close them. TIP! A shortcut to quickly tag sections of text is to highlight the section of text you want to format by clicking and dragging your mouse across it, and then selecting the appropriate BB Code button. The opening and closing tags will automatically be positioned at the beginning and end of the selected text, saving you a mouse click.

HTTP, EMAIL, IMAGES: Hyperlinks can also be inserted using BB Code. Hyperlinks are text or graphics on web pages that you can click on to take you to other pages, or send emails. Click the 'http://' button to add a hyperlink to another web page. You will be prompted for the URL, which is the address in the form of 'http://www.website.com/folder/page.html'. You will then be prompted for the text you want to be hyperlinked. Similarly, you can hyperlink text to an email address using the '@' button. TIP! It's probably best to avoid embedding your email address in posts because spammers can then harvest them from the forum. If you want someone to contact you, invite them to send an email or private message through the brewboard provided links, which are hidden from spammers. Finally, images can be included in posts by using the IMG tag. Click this button and you will be prompted for the address where the image is hosted on the internet. This will usually be an http:// address similar to the hypertext link described earlier. Note that you cannot upload images to the brewboard - we just dont' have the disk space to host everybody's images. Instead, you must find or provide your own website to host the image, and then provide the address to that image using the IMG tag.

The above is a brief description of the most commonly used BB Code tags. However, there are many more that can be used. To the left of your new post, there is a link that says BB Code Help. Click this to see a list of many other BB Code tags.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2018 - 04:52 PM