Guests cannot vote 
Braindead
post Mar 12 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,116

Crank and Stein
http://www.crankandstein.com/productsnew.htm.
Love mine. Very high quality precsion mill. Put a motor on it and watch it crush. I gave it a 10 DUH! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif) Braindead
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
borny
post Mar 12 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 253

Da Bomb!

+Quote Post
wofat
post Mar 14 2005, 09:56 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,198

I like mine a lot, but wouldn't say it's 'Da Bomb'. Setting the gap with the adjustable 2-roller mill can be difficult, especially getting it to stay where you want it. Having the adjustment set in aluminum makes it very prone to marring. I would like to see steel here instead of aluminum.

Maybe it's just time for me to move up to the detent version.

+Quote Post
codemonkey
post Mar 14 2005, 10:51 AM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,908

I can't give them a rating because my C&S GCM-3E is the first and only mill I've ever used. It seems to be a great mill, but without having a basis of comparison, my review is biased towards the negatives, which isn't exactly fair to C&S.

Anyways, the cons:
The instructions were a bit over-simplified and not model specific. It took me a while to figure out how to adjust the gap as well as adjust the adjustment bar itself. I'm still not sure if my gap is set correctly as getting the feeler gauge inbetween the 2nd and 3rd roller is a bit tricky with the adjustment bar in there. Someone with more experience than I probably wouldn't have these issues.

The friction-driven top roller has a tendency to stick. This usually happens only once per session, and you just have to roll it with your hand to work it out. Running the drill in reverse doesn't seem to remedy the problem.

The pros:
Customer support was top-notch. From before ordering until after I received the mill, I was in constant contact with them through e-mail.

Great throughput. I run the mill with a corded Rigid 3/8" drill and can burn through a full hopper in no time. The crush is consistent and I've never had to re-mill any of it.

Easy adjustment (once I figured it out) and no noticable drift in the gap after 50 lbs. of grain run through it to date.

+Quote Post
bigslowrock
post Apr 18 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 226

I love mine.

+Quote Post
Eimajz
post Apr 19 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,448

I've enjoyed my 3-roller vs of the C&S.

Setting the gap is a breeze with the onboard gab adjuster. One click left or right and your gap setting is adjusted.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post May 6 2005, 01:08 AM
Post #7

on hiatus...

Member No.: 69

I just used my 3D mill for the first time, and it's fantastic. Easy to adjust, large hopper, and smooth to crank -- and a beautiful crush. I can't imagine any mill being better. Top marks from me!

+Quote Post
brewmaster808
post Aug 2 2005, 02:55 AM
Post #8

Brewer

Member No.: 2,686

It sure will grind for sure. Have the 2 roller type with adjustabe arm. Find the arm makes it hard to reach tension bolts. Wish the sides would of been enclosed.

+Quote Post
Argyll
post Aug 6 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #9

Brewer

Member No.: 855

Don't forget to put this in the product reviews section too. Or maybe a mod can move it there.

+Quote Post
notwoohoo
post Aug 6 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #10

Brewer

Member No.: 2,903

QUOTE(wofat @ Mar 14 2005, 09:57 AM)
I like mine a lot, but wouldn't say it's 'Da Bomb'.  Setting the gap with the adjustable 2-roller mill can be difficult, especially getting it to stay where you want it.  Having the adjustment set in aluminum makes it very prone to marring.  I would like to see steel here instead of aluminum. 

Maybe it's just time for me to move up to the detent version.

From what I understand, they use stainless now. Anyways on to my review (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

Ok guys, I picked up a Crank and Stein CGM-BCC last weekend from Fred @ C&S. As with all of the other brewers that I've been fortunate enough to meet, he was a great guy to talk to, even if we only talked briefly.

Anyways, on to the review.

The CGM-BCC is everything that you need in a mill, for assembly all I needed to do was to bolt the hopper on and mill away which I did in five minutes flat. My visual impression of the mill is, damn it looks solid. So off to brewday, I went with the factory gap (45 1/1000 in iirc). I milled five pounds of maris otter, four pounds of malted wheat, and .75lbs of cara-pils with ease using my 18v drill to power the mill. The crush looked great, especially after getting pre-crushed grains from various sources with varying levels of crush leading to efficiencies ranging from 53-72%.

I figured that my mill might need some tweaking, but as I said I went with the factory gap. After milling the crush looked great so I mashed away. After a mash and sparge I was impressed by the pre-boil gravity, which I predicted would give me 76% efficiency, better than my best previous crush! I was more than impressed!

Overall, I am quite impressed with both the construction and operation of my Crank and Stein and would certinely recommend one to a fellow brewer!

I gave it a solid 10!

+Quote Post
Triple Freak
post Aug 6 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 889

If you crank it down to .037" or even .035", your efficiency will go up a few more points. Did you recheck the gap after it was shipped to you to verify the correct gap?

+Quote Post
notwoohoo
post Aug 7 2005, 10:26 AM
Post #12

Brewer

Member No.: 2,903

QUOTE(Triple Freak @ Aug 6 2005, 09:04 PM)
If you crank it down to .037" or even .035", your efficiency will go up a few more points. Did you recheck the gap after it was shipped to you to verify the correct gap?

It wasn't shipped, it was a local pickup

+Quote Post
ffrancis
post Aug 24 2005, 08:16 AM
Post #13

Homebrewer

Member No.: 1,172

Just to let you guys know, we do use stainless for all of our knobs now. 2A, and 3E, as well as the 2D, and 3D.

We did have some problems with the aluminum knobs galling if the setscrews were a bit tight. If your aluminum knobs are galled, as long as you can remove them from the frames, you can clean up the surface where they are inside the frame with some emery cloth, or very carefully with a sharp file. They should be smoothe. Re-install them into the frames, and they should turn freely. If not, check the bore of the frame where the knobs go, and make sure its smooth too. If you can't get the knobs out, if you're willing to ship the mill to us, we'll get them out, and either clean them up, or upgrade you to the newer steel knobs. We can't do the knob upgrade for free, but its only a small charge, plus shipping to get the mill back to you.

Please, if you are unhappy with your mill in ANY way or have problems or questions, please contact me. I would like everyone to be extremely happy with their mill. We are brewing beer as a hobby and its supposed to be fun.

Thanks,

~~fred francis
CrankandStein.com

+Quote Post
kysmith
post Nov 27 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,662

My customer service review

+Quote Post
bo_gator
post Aug 7 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #15

Brewmaster

Member No.: 7,848

QUOTE(bigslowrock @ Apr 18 2005, 09:28 PM) *
I love mine.

+ 1. I have the two roller and it is so quite compared to other mills I have seen or heard. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/omg.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018 - 03:58 AM