Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
dave76
post Mar 14 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,842

IMO this is the best mass produced beer out, it actually has some flavor and some hoppyness to it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_The Professor_*
post Jun 21 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE(dave76 @ Mar 14 2005, 09:57 PM) *
IMO this is the best mass produced beer out, it actually has some flavor and some hoppyness to it.

It's not bad, even though it's a shadow of what it once was (I've been drinking it since 1968...though in reality it stopped tasting anything like real Ballantine after the 1980's).

It is now a totally different brew these days...different ingredients, different yeast, and with only a fraction of the hop character it once had. Having said that though, it's really not bad for the price and provides a bit of nostalgia... and yes, it still has more character than a lot of other stuff out there.

Seems that Miller, or Pabst, or whoever is brewing Bally Ale these days is missing the boat. Not only with their pale imitation of regular Ballantine Ale, but by not riding the specialty wave and bringing out the IPA again for another go. I doubt they (or anyone) can replicate the taste of THAT classic though. Certainly no one has yet...no one's even come close...

+Quote Post
armagh
post Jun 22 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #3

Brewer

Member No.: 4,965

It's not bad, even though it's a shadow of what it once was

Have fond memories of their Red Cap ale, which I haven't seen on a shelf in 20 years at least.

+Quote Post
PaulK
post Jun 22 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,127

QUOTE(The Professor @ Jun 21 2006, 05:01 PM) *
It's not bad, even though it's a shadow of what it once was (I've been drinking it since 1968...though in reality it stopped tasting anything like real Ballantine after the 1980's).

It is now a totally different brew these days...different ingredients, different yeast, and with only a fraction of the hop character it once had. Having said that though, it's really not bad for the price and provides a bit of nostalgia... and yes, it still has more character than a lot of other stuff out there.

Seems that Miller, or Pabst, or whoever is brewing Bally Ale these days is missing the boat. Not only with their pale imitation of regular Ballantine Ale, but by not riding the specialty wave and bringing out the IPA again for another go. I doubt they (or anyone) can replicate the taste of THAT classic though. Certainly no one has yet...no one's even come close...

I agree it ain't what it used to be. As for the current brewer missing the boat on the IPA, they did a re-release back in the early 90's and they decided to scrap it because it didn't draw the attention that microbrewed IPA's at the time did.

As an aside, I had a 1962 Ballantine IPA about two years ago. It was still amazingly hoppy and showed little signs of deterioration. Unbelievable! Ballantine was famous for a distillation process to create their own hop oils/essences. All I have to say is that they were apparently amazingly shelf stable.

+Quote Post
TheProfessor
post Jun 21 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 12,347

QUOTE(PaulK @ Jun 22 2006, 08:32 PM) *
...As for the current brewer missing the boat on the IPA, they did a re-release back in the early 90's and they decided to scrap it because it didn't draw the attention that microbrewed IPA's at the time did.

I missed seeing that brief return of the IPA in the early 90's (I don't know how I missed it!!) , though I did hear about it later. The consensus seemed to be (not surprisingly) that it was nothing at all like the original product...the wooden storage tanks, the intense but clean bitterness, the intense hop oil aromatics, and the full year of aging were all apparently absent.

Late last year I acquired a bottle dating from 1964 or 65 that looks to be in very good condition; bright and clear with surprisingly little sedimentation in the bottle (even after sitting undisturbed for 6 months). I hope this sample really is in good shape...Ballantine IPA was a remarkable product and a taste I miss dearly...even a hint of the old character will be a nostalgic blast.

Really sad that there is nothing made commercially these days that can even come close to it. It's actually one of the main reasons I continue to brew at home.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2018 - 11:49 PM