Guests cannot vote 
flourdude
post Nov 28 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #16

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,016

QUOTE(Hop Mania @ Jul 21 2005, 04:40 PM) *
damn you people. After reading the thread I ordered the kit. Hoping it will tone down enough for this christmas.

Mine is about 14 months old and it is great. I tried it when it was young and it was "okay" but pretty green. What a difference a year or so makes. However, the clove flavor is still strong and I would recommend backing off on the cloves and I think that this has been mentioned before...

Good luck!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AndyCLS
post Nov 29 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #17

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 5,946

QUOTE(flourdude @ Nov 28 2006, 07:33 PM) *
However, the clove flavor is still strong and I would recommend backing off on the cloves and I think that this has been mentioned before...

Good luck!

The topic of overpowering spices seems to come up quite a bit with this recipe, but not with everyone. I'm curious, for the people whom the spices are too strong did you:
1) Add the spices to the boil only, in the amount specified by the recipe
2) Add the spices to the secondary, in the amount specified
3) Add them in some combination of A & B, or in quantities greater than specified

Also on the topic of cloves, did people use ground cloves or whole cloves. Whole cloves are much much stronger than their ground counterparts. One site out there I found suggested that 1/8 tsp of whole cloves is the equivalent to 1/2 tsp of ground cloves. Maybe this is why some people get a whole lot of clove flavor and some don't?

I did method #1 (everything the boil) + used ground cloves, and for me the balance and taste is very good after only 3 months.

There's also another possibility in that certain people (I read something the other day about this in fact) fall into the category of "supertasters"... something like 1 out of 4 people are like this who basically possess a much higher concentration of taste buds than normal. Maybe you supertasters out there are getting more spices than us regular folk. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
type2bill
post Nov 29 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #18

Group: New Member
Member No.: 7,366

I have brewed this one two years running and will continue to. I haven't aged mine to the extent that most seem to, I let it mature for a couple of months and then we consume it. It has been quite popular with my friends. I use ground clove, whole stick cinnamon, and whole vanilla bean, and have been quite happy with the spice. I also add an oz. of juniper berries, and changed the hops to Northern and Williamette. Hopefully I can restrain myself enough to let it age awhile. Oh and I add the spices to the boil in the qty specified except the vanilla bean, I added more. This last batch was a 20 min. boil on the spices.

This post has been edited by type2bill: Nov 29 2006, 02:07 PM

+Quote Post
DDoherty
post Nov 17 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #19

Homebrewer

Member No.: 10,488

QUOTE(Eimajz @ Apr 25 2005, 10:07 PM) *
A very good beer with age. Cut back on the Cloves. Juice the Vanilla if you desire and add a little extra cinnamon. Age for at least 6-8months and you will have a nice enjoyable beer.

How much do you cut back on the cloves, and how much more vanilla would you recommend? (definite measurements, plz!)

+Quote Post
smokey
post Nov 19 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #20

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,623

The spices came across way to strong for me, especially the clove. In retrospect, I would have thrown them in at flameout and maybe eliminated the clove altogether.

I'd recommend replacing the cinamon with canela (Mexican cinamon). I like the flavor a lot better.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th February 2018 - 04:15 AM