Forum Rules PLEASE READ Before Submitting Recipes for Review
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Echos of Ballantine
Guest_BryanH_*
post Jun 7 2003, 07:44 AM
Post #1

Guests

The other night on the forum there was some nostalgic discussion of the old Ballantine India Pale Ale. The real stuff. It was brewed in the old brewery in Newark, NJ until 1964(?) and then for about a dozen years following by Narragansett in Cranston, RI. By the standards of the day it was powerful stuff. OG was in the high 60s and so were the IBUs. Bear in mind that in those days most people had never even seen a Heineken and Fritz Maytag was still in the appliance business.

This was the beer that set off the spark for me. Virtually everything sold in that time was a version of light, American lager. My Dad usually had plain old beer in the house but every once in a while he would buy a sixpack of IPA. After tasting the likes of Miller, Narragansett, Shaeffer, Piels and such the IPA was like beer from another planet. It had maybe 75% more gravity and IBUs than the typical beer available, color too. For a teen who had only tasted standard American light lager the IPA was an epiphany. I have to admit I probably wanted to spit out the first sip but from the second on there was no looking back.

When I did get involved with serious homebrewing I went back to the Ballantine IPA to try to recreate some of those flavors. I've seen clone brew recipes for the IPA and to me most are bogus. If anything they are based on the wimpy version of Ballantine still made by whoever owns the brand name today. At the request of Kent and Ted I went through some of my old notes and have come up with a reasonable facsimile of one of my old recipes. The recipe is not intended to be a clone, per se, but to revive some of those old flavors that I remembered. My current IPA recipes, one of which is posted here, have morphed from my early attempts at Ballantine. This one is more basic and less outrageous.

Five Gallon / All-Grain

Grist:
5 lbs Domestic pale (6-row or 2-row)
4 lbs British pale
.5 lb 60L crystal/caramel
.5 lb Carapils/Carafoam
2 lbs Flaked maize/corn
.5 lb Flaked barley

90 minute hops:
1 oz Cluster (AA% 6.5-7.0)

60 minute hops:
1 oz Brewer's Gold (AA% 6.5-7.0)

30 minute hops:
1 oz Brewer's Gold (AA% 6.5-7.0)

End of boil/Flameout hops:
1 oz East Kent Golding (AA% 4.0-5.0)

Brewing salts:
4 tsp Gypsum (calcuim sulfate)
.5 tsp Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate)

Wyeast # 1056 ( this is actually supposed to be the old Ballantine strain)

Please don't be put off by the corn. This beer was made by a standard American regional brewery and adjuncts were part of the deal. There is not enough corn is this recipe to taste. It does add a certain smoothness and authenticity to the body. Recommended hop substitutions for the Cluster would be Northern Brewer and for the Brewer's Gold, Bullion. Please don't use Cascade or Centennial. This beer was made years before those hops became available. Modern American IPAs are know for their citric hops, this beer had none.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kent
post Jun 7 2003, 09:07 AM
Post #2

Assistant Brewer

Group: banned
Member No.: 224

Looks good Bryan.Thanks!

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Jun 7 2003, 03:27 PM
Post #3

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

Boy I hate it when people post good recipes that I feel like trying! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

Right now I don't have any flaked maize, but next order I'll include some and give this a try. My fall brewing schedule is shaping up nicely -- Hop Hourglass IPA, Bryan's Ballentines IPA, Broken House IPA, UK Hop Hourglass IPA -- see a pattern here? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/ninja.gif)

+Quote Post
Guest_Ted_*
post Jun 7 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #4

Guests

Thanks Bryan!!!!! This recipe looks great!!! I'm not a fan of Brewers Gold hops, but I will bend and use them in this brew. By doing that, maybe Irish will bend and use flaked maize!!
Cj, what pattern?!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Guest_BryanH_*
post Aug 30 2003, 07:45 AM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE(IrishJny @ Aug 29 2003, 10:06 PM)
Ahm chit! I dont have thatyeast, or Cluster! now what am I gonna brew next Tuesady? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/crazy.gif)   >>>Irish

What hops and yeasts do you have, Irish? Don't throw in the towel yet let's figure out a substitute.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Aug 30 2003, 08:47 AM
Post #6

on hiatus...

Member No.: 69

Yeah, the Cluster hops will be easy to substitute. Yeast is also very flexible -- the flavor might be a bit different, but it'll still be very good. What yeast are you using for your first mega-brew? That might work fine.

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Aug 30 2003, 09:52 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

Member No.: 937

WLP008 might work, eh?

+Quote Post
Kent
post Oct 31 2003, 05:21 PM
Post #8

Assistant Brewer

I am usually one to substitute xomething in a recipe.I did not for this and recommend you don't either!

Fantastic Bryan! Thanks for posting the recipe. Will be brewing again soon.

(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif) Kent

+Quote Post
Kent
post Jan 9 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #9

Assistant Brewer

A bump for Thomas!Great stuff you all should try it!

(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif) Kent

+Quote Post
Thomas
post Jan 9 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #10

Brewer

Member No.: 741

Thanks Kent, I will be trying this soon*. Along with your oatmeal stout!

(* soon here means as soon as my faucets outside aren't frozen!)

+Quote Post
Rovers
post Apr 26 2004, 05:40 PM
Post #11

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 327

BUMP! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif) >>>Irish

+Quote Post
Kent
post Apr 26 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #12

Assistant Brewer

Am I the only one beside Bryan that brews this?I am here to toot Bryan's horn this is a great IPA! Try It!

+Quote Post
Guest_Ted_*
post Apr 26 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #13

Guests

I will be making this very soon!! It has moved to one of the next 3 beers I make!!

This post has been edited by ted: Apr 26 2004, 09:51 PM

+Quote Post
dave76
post Apr 26 2004, 06:50 PM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,842

Anyone know anything about the Ballantine Burton Ale.

+Quote Post
Guest_BryanH_*
post Apr 26 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE(dave76 @ Apr 26 2004, 06:50 PM)
Anyone know anything about the Ballantine Burton Ale.

I know that I missed tasting some about 9 years ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sad.gif) My guess is that it was a higher gravity, higher IBU version of the Ballantine India Pale. This article has a brief mention of it.
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m3469/13_...term=ballantine

The Burton Ale was not for sale to the public. It was made in small quantities and given in specially labeled bottles to customers, friends, etc.

This post has been edited by BryanH: Apr 26 2004, 08:38 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2020 - 09:28 AM