Total Votes: 33
Guests cannot vote 
dumbbrewer
post Sep 28 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #16

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 558

Does anybody know what battery the yellow VWR thermometer uses? The battery in mine is missing, and I want to find one locally so i can brew tonite.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pizzaman
post Sep 28 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #17

Brewer

Member No.: 2,651

389 or about a dozen others

+Quote Post
albertv05
post Jan 8 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #18

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,057

Looks like I'm going to order the VWR thermometer. I can't find a better one based on everyone's feedback. Thanks guys!

Cheers!

Al

+Quote Post
WolfMan69
post Jan 26 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #19

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 6,238

I bought this awhile back and used it in the mash (submerged). It worked great until the next time I went to use it... it was then way off. I figured it was the same issue I had with other digital thermometers that you cannot submerge the probe (past where it joins the cable...).

I called the company I ordered it from and they sent me a replacement asap (free of charge).

I ended up baking the probe on the first one and it is back to working though the platic on the probe melted/deformed some.

I continue to use both now but I do not trust it to be submerged and not develope a problem (like all the other non-water proof digitals I own (from Walmart, Target, etc).

+Quote Post
Browndog
post Mar 17 2008, 02:30 PM
Post #20

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 3,080

This past mashin, this thermometer started giving WILD readings. Turns out the cable is cracked just above the probe. It was new in October 2005 and has beeen used it for maybe a dozen mashes.

Talking to the Control Company, the manufacturer, they tell me I'm SOL because I used it for mashing at 158 degrees and the cable deteriorates...An application problem they say!

I'm hoping the good folks at VWR where I purchased it will be a bit more sympathetic. So far I've been impressed with VWR's customer service. I'll keep ya posted.

Those considering this thermometer may be $ ahead to look into a good 3" dial bi-metal thermometer with a 12" probe, such as this one:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1NFX9

Cheers, Browndog

+Quote Post
OhioMurb
post Aug 9 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #21

Brewer

Member No.: 6,533

Bought this one exactly one year ago and it's gone. Melted last time I used it in the flask making my starter. Really disappointed - temps are now reading consistently 60-65 degrees off. It's melted right at the spot where the probe's plastic cover meets the cable.

I haven't called them yet to see if I'm out of luck or not. Hopefully I can re-post with some good customer service reviews soon.

+Quote Post
OhioMurb
post Aug 31 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #22

Brewer

I'm back on the bandwagon. Called their help line (it was actually helpful). Turns out, the probe is tolerant to 572 degrees F, but the cable is only tested up to 122 degrees F. I had the whole thing - probe and cable - in my starter flask, so I'm sure it went up past 122 - so it was my fault that it melted.

I explained all of this and the guy on the phone recommended I mail it back to them to "see what they could do".

It was past the 1 year warranty, but I got a box on my doorstep 3 weeks later with a brand new thermometer. Nice!

+Quote Post
Brewby my beer
post Sep 1 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #23

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,332

Will this probe fit inside a thermowell?

I'm planning on putting one in my fermenter.

+Quote Post
OhioMurb
post Sep 2 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #24

Brewer

I've looked at those thermoweld, but I don't actually know - the cord is very long, and it's not very wide.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2018 - 12:22 AM