Total Votes: 23
Guests cannot vote 
Triple Freak
post May 22 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 889

Let's see some thoughts or suggestions on Servomyces.
I have yet to use it, & I'd like to hear some reviews from those who have used it. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cj in j
post May 22 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #2

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

I've used it, and fermentations have never been better. I used it for the first time during the testing phase -- I fermented two batches side by side, same OG, same grain bill (actually a single mash divided into two boils). The Servo batch got started little quicker, finished a bit lower and earlier, and cleared a bit better. One thing I can't measure is that Servo is supposed to leave yeast healthier after fermentation, so in theory "servo" yeast will be better for repitching. So far so good on that end, but I've never had trouble repitching yeast anyway, and I have no way to test viability, so I'll just take their word for it.

Count me as a happy Servo user -- I'll use it in all batches from now on -- no reason not to.

+Quote Post
Guest_Ted_*
post Jun 5 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #3

Guests

I have used Servo a few times, kinda seeing what it wiil do. Fermentations on all but one took off incredibly fast, and finished right on where it should. In first generation of the yeast, the beer is quite good, everything you would expect. Second generation, the yeast took off very fast, less than an hr on most, again the beer tasted good. However, I got feedback from a comp on a Scotch ale I made, using second generation , and the comments were diacetyl. I did not attribute that to servo at the time. 3rd generation, huge diacetyl is noted today by me in a beer that I have never noticed diacetyl, I am, at this point, thinking servo may be the culprit. I think the yeast finishes so fast, that it does not clean up very well on second generation and beyond. But, this will take more ferments to be sure. In the second and third generation beers, I used servo in those also, is that wrong? I don't know!! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/eh.gif) Maybe it's best to use servo in the first beer, then just repitch without servo being used in subsequent batches. Time for further experimentation!!!

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Jun 5 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #4

on hiatus...

Member No.: 69

Ted -- Interesting that you mentioned the diacetyl. I noticed some in some lagers that I made, but it eventually went away. I thought I'd just screwed something up, since I'm not normally a lager maker, but maybe it was caused by the Servo. I also use it in every batch, 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation and beyond. I'm interested in hearing if anyone else has seen that. Once my summer brew break is over, I'll do some experiments in the fall and see what I find.

+Quote Post
codemonkey
post Jun 5 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,908

I've used it on 5 batches now and I honestly have yet to notice a difference. Lag times were about the same and my FGs were always where they usually fall. I typically primary for 10-14 days though, so I'd be willing to believe that the servo allows for faster fermentation although it's never been a concern of mine.

I'm just going to use what I have left on high gravity or new territory beers, like my first steps into the lager arena, and I don't think I'll buy it again.

+Quote Post
beerpilot
post Nov 16 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #6

Brewer

Member No.: 1,358

I have used servomyces ever since they became available and they work great!!!! Well worth the extra few bucks when spending about 30-50 on a batch of beer. GREAT PRODUCT!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Mookie
post Aug 29 2008, 06:35 PM
Post #7

Brewer

Member No.: 10,733

I use it in Mead, and like it. I see an improvement in fermentation rates. I've used it in grape wines and beer, but I've not brewed enough of those to compare with and without.

M

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2018 - 12:24 AM