Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mullberry Mead/Melomel, A new recipe
Dave in Indiana
post Jul 7 2003, 07:23 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: deleted
Member No.: 42

I thought you folks could help me develop a Mullberry Mead/Melomel recipe.

A friend just returned from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with 15 pounds of trefoil honey. I never heard of it so I learned a little at this website.

Anyway, around here - northern Indiana - mullberries are ripe and I thought I would combine the two.

.... proposed recipe ...

Mullberry Mead/Melomel - Five Gallon Batch

15 pounds honey
5 pounds mullberries
2 teaspoons DSP
2 Tablespoons yeast nutrient
2 teaspoons acid blend
? Pectic enzyme
enough water for five gallons
Mead yeast

The usual procedure of pastuerization, proofing yeast, racking and waiting.

Your thoughts would be apprceciated.

Dave in Indiana
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Ted_*
post Jul 7 2003, 05:01 PM
Post #2

Guests

My only thoughts are, don't add the acid blend until after fermentation, honey has a very low pH, and acid blend will make the pH go down. Add acid blend later, even just before bottling, you may not even need it, and you can then add it to taste. And I'd go with more berries if you can.

+Quote Post
bigslowrock
post Jul 7 2003, 06:31 PM
Post #3

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 226

What is the SG going to be for that sucker?

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Jul 7 2003, 07:02 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 589

QUOTE(bigslowrock @ Jul 7 2003, 07:31 PM)
What is the SG going to be for that sucker?

Assuming the water to make 5 gal. is added to the 15 lbs of honey (~20.25 cups), the OG will be near 1.118. Now, assuming mulberries have about the same sugar content as blueberries, the fruit should add another 5 points, which then makes the OG near 1.123... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/omg.gif)

+Quote Post
bigslowrock
post Jul 7 2003, 07:09 PM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 226

thats kinda what I was thinking. really really sweet. or just vodka (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
ATHOBO
post Jul 7 2003, 08:35 PM
Post #6

Brewer

Member No.: 252

HighTest, in your simple mead recipe, I think it calls for 12 lbs. How does that figure in pints or quarts? The beekeepers around here usually put the honey in pint and quart jars.
And, where was that Simple Mead recipe? I'm planning on using sourwood honey. It's lighter.

This post has been edited by ATHOBO: Jul 7 2003, 08:41 PM

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Jul 8 2003, 05:38 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

QUOTE(ATHOBO @ Jul 7 2003, 09:35 PM)
...I think it calls for 12 lbs.  How does that figure in pints or quarts?  The beekeepers around here usually put the honey in pint and quart jars.  And, where was that Simple Mead recipe?

I believe (per the FDA) honey is supposed to be sold by weight, not volume. However, the honey I buy conforms to this relationship - 5 Lbs of Virginia Brand honey has a volume of 6 3/4 cups & the container weighs 3½ oz (w/o the cap). From that 1 cup of honey weighs 0.7407 lbs. This is a nominal value as it will vary based on the honey's water content, which can vary and dictates the honey's quality - more water => lower quality & less weight / volume. Grade C honey has 20% water and is not recommended for mead making. Honey's quality is not determined by its color.

You'll find that recipe here: Traditional Mead - Apr 10th post (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Dave in Indiana
post Jul 8 2003, 03:11 PM
Post #8

Brewmaster

QUOTE(HighTest @ Jul 7 2003, 07:02 PM)
Assuming the water to make 5 gal. is added to the 15 lbs of honey (~20.25 cups), the OG will be near 1.118.  Now, assuming mulberries have about the same sugar content as blueberries, the fruit should add another 5 points, which then makes the OG near 1.123... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/omg.gif)

What kind of problems is an S.G. of 1.123 going to pose? Does anything change if you assume a mullberry is closer to a blackberry/raspberry?

What's my biggest problem too much honey?

What would you change in this recipe?

Dave

This post has been edited by Dave in Indiana: Jul 8 2003, 03:12 PM

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Jul 8 2003, 05:47 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Dave in Indiana @ Jul 8 2003, 04:11 PM)
What kind of problems is an S.G. of 1.123 going to pose?  Does anything change if you assume a mullberry is closer to a blackberry/raspberry?  What's my biggest problem too much honey?  What would you change in this recipe?

It depends upon how sweet , or how "hot" alcohol-wise, you want the end-product. It will be a challange to get it to finish dry - even with champagne yeast.

Personally, I would only use 12Lb of honey. With the mulberries, you should get an OG near 1.100. This will get you into 12-13% abv range depending upon where the mead finishes.

Don't forget to use DAP (1 tsp - only one addition, too much DAP is not good) & 1 Tbl yeast nutrient for a 5 gal batch (initially, thean add another tsp when the SG reaches 75% of the OG). Also I would pitch two 5 g packet of Champagne, or EC-1118 yeast - rehydated & proofed. Do not add any acid until the mead is near the end of the secondary. And then only if it is needed - by taste to balance the acid/ sweetness.

When I add fruit, I sanitize it with KMETA for 24-36 hrs, and then add it to the honey-water mixture. Then add pectic enzyme (2½ tsp dry form / 5 gal). Then pitch your yeast.

+Quote Post
Dave in Indiana
post Jun 21 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #10

Brewmaster

Well, I finally bottled this bad boy. Yes, that's right. It's been bulk aging for 3 years. I figure a month in the bottle to get over the bottle shock - whatever that is - and it will be ready to drink.

I used 7 pounds of raspberries/blackberries, not mulberries as originally planned.

Dave

+Quote Post
hiddendragonet
post Jun 26 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,234

Well that is some real staying power, Dave. I'm impressed!

+Quote Post
Dave in Indiana
post Jun 26 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #12

Brewmaster

Procrastination is my friend!

+Quote Post
Nurse Nan
post Sep 28 2006, 12:53 AM
Post #13

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 6,131

But how does it taste? Procrastinate no more, my friend!!

+Quote Post
bodesbrew
post Oct 9 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #14

Brewer

Member No.: 1,625

Where does one buy these mulberries? I live in Maine and I have never heard of them being around here. Any ideas/suggestions?

+Quote Post
TheBrewingMan10
post Nov 29 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #15

Homebrewer

Member No.: 10,246

QUOTE(bodesbrew @ Oct 9 2006, 03:53 PM) *
Where does one buy these mulberries? I live in Maine and I have never heard of them being around here. Any ideas/suggestions?

Mullberries are delicious. I live in New York State and we have them here. There are many different species. I prefer the black or red ones which grow up in this area. Don't confuse them with blackberries which grow from a bush. Mullberries can grow on trees. I recommend planting a tree, but not near cars.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 08:21 AM