Total Votes: 125
Guests cannot vote 
cj in j
post Oct 1 2005, 06:27 AM
Post #16

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

For anyone who's worried that beer bottled with the BeerGun will somehow be damaged or lose its carbonation, don't worry! I'm sipping on a Cranberry Ale that I bottled a few weeks ago, and it's perfect! If your beer is nicely carbonated when you bottle it, it'll be nicely carbonated with you drink it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pods8
post Oct 1 2005, 09:39 AM
Post #17

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,518

And to tack onto that I had some beers that I bottled a week before a comp with the gun and one took 3rd in show, haven't seen the score sheets yet but I would assume the carb was fine.

The only odd ball thing I had happen to me was the last time I used it a flake of co2 came down my line and got stuck in the valve till is vaporized so for a little bit the valve didn't seal 100%. I don't attribute this to the design at all, just pointing out something to keep an eye out for. I just had to pause on filling till it stopped.

+Quote Post
Pizzaman
post Nov 20 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #18

Brewer

Member No.: 2,651

I just tried my beer gun today and was very pleased. It was much easier to set up, sanitize, use and clean than a cp filler. No problems with foam using about 2 psi and room tempature bottles with beer at 34 degrees.
I set it up maybe a little differant than others. For the co2 I hooked it up with a QC to my extra tank so I didn't have to tap into the kegerator co2 source. This allowed me to fill on a table several feet away from the chest freezer. Had all the hardware I needed in my spare parts box.
All in all I was pretty pleased. I will have to see how the carbonation holds up but it seems like according to others that is not an issue.
Thanks CJ for your review which made up my mind between a cp or the gun. I respect your opinion.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Nov 21 2005, 04:27 AM
Post #19

on hiatus...

I haven't had any issues with carbonation or premature staling of beer I bottled with the BeerGun -- it's a non-issue.

Funny you mentioned using an extra tank -- I was thinking about that today also. Think I'll give that a try next time. It would allow me to purge the bottles at a higher pressure that pushing the beer, which should save a bit of time on purging the bottles.

I've been using mine to bottle primed beer rather than already carbonated beer, and it works great. Every time I use it (and clean it afterwards), I'm thankful that I bought it.

+Quote Post
The Conrad
post Nov 24 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #20

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,615

I might get chastised for putting this on here, but here is my experience:

I love this thing and i feel like foaming tends to be a beer or line issue as opposed to a pressure or bottle temp issue.

I still regularly put my cleaned bottles in the dishwasher on dry cycle to sanitize (probably not a great idea, but no problems so far). My experience has bee that i can take the piping hot (too hot to hold) bottles out of the washer and wait until they are warm enough to handle, but still much warmer that room temp, and get a good fill everytime, with little or NO foam. I do this at about 7psi, if i go up to 8 or 9, thats when the foam becomes an issue. But like i said before, i think it has a lot to do with the style of beer... cant do that with my hefe's (the pressue OR the Temperature) but can with just about everything else.

cheers.

This post has been edited by The Conrad: Nov 24 2005, 07:26 PM

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Nov 24 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #21

on hiatus...

QUOTE(cj in j @ Nov 21 2005, 06:28 PM)
Funny you mentioned using an extra tank -- I was thinking about that today also. Think I'll give that a try next time. It would allow me to purge the bottles at a higher pressure that pushing the beer, which should save a bit of time on purging the bottles.
If you have two tanks, give this a try. I did it on Wednesday, and it works very well. No need messing around with a T on your gas, just connect the keg to one tank, the BeerGun to the other, and you're off to the races. I bottled 50+ in less than 30 minutes, not including setup and cleanup, of course.

+Quote Post
crazy kegger
post Dec 31 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #22

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,984

started with kegging, now into bottles. thanks to the BG!

+Quote Post
Jim_R
post Jan 29 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #23

Brewmaster

Member No.: 416

An issue with the plastic cap that seals the flow of beer has come up in this thread.

Something prospective buyers (like me) should know.

+Quote Post
SuperiorBrew
post Nov 1 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #24

Brewer

Member No.: 9,874

By the 3rd or 4th bottle I had it mastered. Great product and easy to use.

+Quote Post
rocdoc1
post Nov 1 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #25

Brewer

Member No.: 9,460

My wife gave me mine a couple of years ago after we tried to bottle a couple of sixers with my old counter pressure filler to take to a friends house. We ended up with more beer on ourselves and the ceiling than in the bottles. The next day she saw an ad in a beer magazine and ordered it.
I love it, but then I have a separate 2 pound CO2 tank for it. I can easily bottle beers from carbonated kegs, and even more important it has made bottling pleasant-I use a corny as a bottling bucket and I can bottle a batch in 30 minutes with absolutely no waste. ANd I especially love that I can easily purge the bottles with CO2 before I add the beer It's best used when bottling lots of bottles, and more so if you want to store the bottles a while. I use a simple hose on the faucets to bottle beer I drink in a day or 2 but for long term storage the Beergun is great.

+Quote Post
Kabooby
post Jun 29 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #26

Group: New Member
Member No.: 9,417

Has anyone had success with storing beers that were filled by the beer gun for longer than a year.

I am interested in bottling some big beers from kegs that I want to keep for a while

Kabooby (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Jun 29 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #27

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,655

I just won a bunch of ribbons for beers that were all beer-gunned, but they were mostly short-term bottlings. But, I did crack open a berry ale that was beer-gunned back in autumn 2006, and it was still good. And an Imperial IPA from 2-3 years ago was also nice last time I tried one.

Really, though, and bottling technique can damage a beer, so as long as you have solid bottling techniques, using the Beer Gun for long-term storage should be fine.

+Quote Post
cbbrown40
post Jun 30 2008, 07:12 AM
Post #28

Brewmaster

Member No.: 10,983

I have to say that this is one of the best brewing investments I have ever made. Great piece of equipment.

+Quote Post
TheProfessor
post Jun 30 2008, 10:21 AM
Post #29

Brewer

Member No.: 12,347

QUOTE(Kabooby @ Jun 29 2008, 10:59 PM) *
Has anyone had success with storing beers that were filled by the beer gun for longer than a year.

I am interested in bottling some big beers from kegs that I want to keep for a while

Kabooby (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

Keep it clean, and assuming that your beer was cleanly brewed, it shouldn't be a problem. How well and how long it keeps depends on the beer...the stronger brews obviously keep longer. I have a few bottles of Scotch Ale brewed in late 1994 and bottled from keg in mid 1995 (using only a well sanitized cobra dispenser with a rigid tube jammed into it). Besides the sanitizing, I made sure the bottles were purged with co2.

I enjoyed one of these some weeks ago and it held up amazingly well (it was a traditional, higher gravity brew). Using oxygen absorbing caps helps too and in my opinion they are worth the extra money..

+Quote Post
cbbrown40
post Jun 30 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #30

Brewmaster

Member No.: 10,983

I would like to hear why a few people think it's "Not worth a Jac" I consider it one of my most enjoyable pieces of equipment. I AM REALLY CURIOUS WHY SOME PEOPLE DON'T SEEM TO LIKE IT AT ALL.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2018 - 12:25 AM