Reply to this topicStart new topic
> XX-bitter recipe, any idea on where to start
Lund
post Sep 9 2005, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,876

I don't seem to find very much info on this beer. It have been one of my favorites a long time and since the yeast is in the bottle and I have a few quite fresh ones I started wondering on how to clone it.

I guess it has a quite simple grainbill with pilsner malt and some carapils parhaps but I don't recognice the hops. Just that there is alot of them.

I really like this beer. Almost like chewing hop flowers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
iluvhops
post Sep 9 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #2

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 4,136

XX Bitter from De Ranke brewery you mean?

+Quote Post
iluvhops
post Sep 9 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Stewart

I guess De Ranke's XX Bitter can be made from the simplest of maltbills: 100% pilsnermalt. I guess i would use Brewer's Gold & Hallertau (Tradition? Perle?) (ref. Michael Jackson) for hops. Total of 48 IBU, OG 1.056. However one analysis (thank you Derek) read 1.052 as apparant extract.

As for mashing i would opt for 40 minutes at 60C and 30 minutes at 70C.

I have this beer on my to brew list. I already brewed with the yeast i recultured from a bottle of XX-Bitter. I don't know if this is the primary yeast, but it resulted in a satisfactory pale ale anyway.

Some authors seem to detect some brettanomyces in XX Bitter. If so, than a tiny bit to my perception. In case you might like to play with this aspect, you could try reculturing some yeast from a bottle of Orval and use this as a bottling yeast.

Perhaps we could pin this baby down!

Herman

+Quote Post
Lund
post Sep 10 2005, 08:33 AM
Post #4

Brewer

I do wonder what gives that huge hop taste. But I guess my first try will be that I make the 20 min flavor addition count for a 1/3 of the bitterness and parhaps no aroma hops. Need to drink some more to really get the feel for it.

Could take an FG reading while I'm at it.

+Quote Post
iluvhops
post Sep 11 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #5

Stewart

A big hopdose at the end may do the trick, as does first wort hopping. No dry-hopping is used.

Just been reading MJ's Great Beers of Belgium. In it he states XX bitter to have an IBU of 65 units, also an 6.2 vol% alc. However, it is allowed to be 1 % under or above the acclaimed mark. So the beforementioned 1.052 should come as no surprise. However 1.056 - 1.010 should be possible with this yeast: I fermented a Pale Ale from 1.052 'till 1.006/1.008.

+Quote Post
iluvhops
post Sep 11 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #6

Stewart

A big hopdose at the end may do the trick, as does first wort hopping. No dry-hopping is used.

Just been reading MJ's Great Beers of Belgium. In it he states XX bitter to have an IBU of 65 units, also an 6.2 vol% alc. However, it is allowed to be 1 % under or above the acclaimed mark. So the beforementioned 1.052 should come as no surprise. However 1.056 - 1.010 should be possible with this yeast: I fermented a Pale Ale from 1.052 'till 1.006/1.008.

+Quote Post
iluvhops
post Dec 20 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #7

Stewart

Hey Lund,

Did you have a go at brewing this beer yet?

Herman

+Quote Post
Lund
post Dec 21 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #8

Brewer

Never got around to it. Got a new mashtun and boilkettle that I try to get to work.

To be honest I forgot about it. But I think I will make a try in february parhaps.

+Quote Post
Frank
post Dec 21 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,815

I've beenr really curious about trying my hand at something like this. I think the hop choice will be absolutely critical and I believe the Brewer's Gold to be where it gets that funky anisey bitterness from. Also, the yeast is a huge player. This thing will be a bitch and half to emulate, I think.

+Quote Post
iluvhops
post Dec 23 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #10

Stewart

Well i like a bit of a challenge! I bought some fresh samples at my local dealer, who has been out XX Bitter for some months now. Hopefully i'll have a go at this beer sometime soon. From a previous brew, i experienced that part of the taste originates from the yeast. As my brew had some resemblance to XX Bitter (very dry & a bit tart).

+Quote Post
chodgkins
post Sep 24 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,004

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Did any of you have any success brewing this?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2018 - 11:57 PM