cj in j
post Nov 12 2005, 03:50 AM
Post #1

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

The Simple Plug'n'Play Counter Pressure Bottle Filler
contributed by sosman

I built my own CPF and as far as I can tell the design I came up with has some unique features compared with others out there on the web. Everyone has their own preferences, I went for ease of construction and simplicity. Below is a quick summary. For complete details, see C-P Filler.

Features:
-- Easy construction - absolutely no soldering required.
-- Versatile. I use mine for keg-to-keg as well as keg-to-bottle fills.
-- Easy to clean and dry.
-- Inexpensive.

This picture shows the moving parts of my CPF. The pushin fittings make for plug'n'play filling, kegs, bottles, whatever you have a connector for. It also makes it very easy to clean and dry.

Attached Image

Here is the bottle end. I chose the rubber bung to fit the tube very tightly, a bit of warmth and some food grease helps to get it on. It also has to fit inside the bottle mouth.

When filling a bottle, you ease the rubber bung to allow gas to escape for controlled filling. Many CPF's have a needle valve, but I don't have any problem with the "bung" method.

Attached Image

The inlet side of the CPF go to both connectors on the keg you want to fill from (did I mention you should turn the taps off first?). You equalize the pressure by opening the gas valve (don't do this too fast) then close the gas valve, open the liquid valve and then start working the bung. I like to expel a bit of beer, there is usually a little bit of foam at the top to help expel oxygen from the bottle. Close the tap, remove the filler and cap the bottle.

Below are my "kit" of connectors for filling and transfers. The two bung versions are for different size bottles. Because the tubing is flexible, the length of the filling tube is not critical. The QD is for keg-keg transfers.

Attached Image

I have a party keg made from a garden sprayer (small SS kegs are as rare as rocking horse manure in Australia) and I use the same device for transferring from my cornies. I swap the bung with a liquid QD connect it to the destination keg.

Attached Image

The constuction should be fairly self evident from the pics. The key is to match the sizes of pushins, tubing and bung (hole). There are no invisible tubes running through it, just two taps and a tee.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st June 2018 - 03:38 AM