Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
hiddendragonet
post Dec 19 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,234

I recently came into an interesting mead find. My father's friend gave him a bottle of mead as a gift, but since he does not like mead, I got it. According to the originator, the bottle was around 30 years old. From everything I can tell, this mead is no longer produced, although the bottles can be found on collectibles websites and they all say "circa 1977," which would support the stated age of the mead.

The label was obviously old, and certainly looked like the print type, color, and paper used in the 60s and 70s. Sorry, I don't have a picture as I let my dad keep the bottle, but the bottle was brownish ceramic, with a handle on one side, label on the front, and the top was a cork with wax with a crimped "pour" opening. The label said:

Nadwislanski
Miod Pitny Dwojniak

And in English:
Polish Mead made with honey and fruit

From what I gather, "dwojniak" is one of the two best types of Polish mead, but I don't know what it means. The brand seems defunct, and I can't find any rating for this mead anywhere.

Unfortunately, from the looks of the wax, the bottle had been stored upright. When I attempted to uncork the bottle, the cork was so dry and brittle that it just crumbled into the mead. I managed to get it out. I poured a glass, and picked the cork bits out.

The color was dark straw, but clear. The mead poured thickly, almost syrupy. The aroma entirely lacked honey character and was prominently a sherry-like oxidized scent. The first, middle, and last impression was "sherry," but too blandly sweet and much of the alcohol had evaporated through the dry cork. It was of course entirely undrinkable, and a big disappointment.

I was forced to give this a 1, but in truth, I have not tried the mead in its proper state.

Nevertheless, it was an interesting find, and a neat experience. If anyone has any information about this mead, I would love to hear it.

HD
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Dec 19 2005, 01:54 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 589

QUOTE(hiddendragonet @ Dec 19 2005, 02:44 PM)
..From what I gather, "dwojniak" is one of the two best types of Polish mead, but I don't know what it means. The brand seems defunct, and I can't find any rating for this mead anywhere.
There are four classes of Polish mead: Półtorak [One & One-Half], Dwójniak [Double], Trójniak [Triple], and Czwórniak [Quaduple]. These terms refer to the ratio of honey to water used in making the mead. For example, a Dwójniak uses 2 parts honey for every 1 part of water.

Oh yes, there'll be a pronounciation quiz in the morning - please study for it... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/shock.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Dec 19 2005, 01:57 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 589

Does the bottle note the name of the manufacturer? Was it APIS?

+Quote Post
hiddendragonet
post Jan 3 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,234

QUOTE(HighTest @ Dec 19 2005, 12:58 PM)
Does the bottle note the name of the manufacturer?  Was it APIS?

Sorry, I did not get a reply email on this. I believe the manufacturer was "Nadwislanski." If you google it, you will find Nadwislanski bottles being sold on collectibles websites.

Correction- Google doesn't bring up anything in English (perhaps if I could read Polish I could find out more), but Yahoo! brings up 27 links, all of them for now defunct eBay ads for collectible Nadwislanski mead bottles circa 1977.

HD

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th February 2018 - 06:50 PM