Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How much apple juice from a bushel, Granny Smith in my front yard
sidney porter
post Aug 8 2003, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 733

Looks like I am going to have a large apple harvest this year( a lot of rain and cooler temps). This year I have decided to make cider (can only take so many pie, sauce, turnovers, and butter). So I have a few question.

1. How much juice should I expect per bushel of apples? (I don't know how many bushels I will have just looking for an idea of yield)
2. What would be another good apple to mix with the granny smith, I have read that it is best to mix apples?

Since I have access to a press I would like to use only fresh apples rather than sweet cider or juice. But if the yield per bushel is not great I will add sweet cider.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave in Indiana
post Aug 8 2003, 09:52 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: deleted
Member No.: 42

Great question.

Let's see, there are 42-48 pounds per bushel, depending on who you ask (old farmers almanac says a bushel of apples weighs 60 pounds, but I dont think that is right). It takes about 14 pounds of apples to make one gallon of juice. So you are looking at roughly 3 gallons of juice for every bushel of apples. Of course that depends a lot on the efficiency of your press. 3 gallons may be on the high side or for a good press. Your mileage may vary.

Dave in Indiana

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Aug 8 2003, 12:15 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 589

Dave's numbers are right in the ballpark. My reference [Cider, 2nd Ed., Ann Proulx & Lew Nichols] has the following stats: 1 bushel of apples ~ 45 Lbs, and will yield 2-3 gallons of fresh cider.

Now the bad news... The Granny Smith apple was not mentioned once in my reference as an apple variety for cider making. Perhaps there's a good reason, but I don't know. However, feel free to experiment. I would point-out that the best cider comes from a blend of apple varieties, in the following juice proportions: Neutral base types (30-60%), Tart (10-20%), Aromatic (10-20%), and Astringent (5-20%). So you can see there's a lot of room for mixing & matching. What varieties are in which category? There's just too much information to try and transcribe it here. Besides, there's that copyright issue. As such you may wish to get a copy of this, or a similar, book on making cider. Good Luck... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
sidney porter
post Aug 8 2003, 12:53 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Thanks guys

+Quote Post
Ricksavs
post Aug 8 2003, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 294

hightest is like a mead and cider librarian!

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Aug 8 2003, 01:11 PM
Post #6

Brewmaster

I do have a few references that have been well read and indexed. Can you tell...?? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
sidney porter
post Aug 8 2003, 01:14 PM
Post #7

Brewmaster

I just looked up woodchuck cider and they make one with 100% Granny Smith, think I need to try it. I have had their amber and was not that impressed. Think deffinetly blend apples, and get the book hightest recommends.

The Granny smith are pretty tart so I am thinking that they will make up about 20%. (looks like I will still be making a lot of pies, butter, etc)

+Quote Post
Dave Chase
post Aug 9 2003, 11:03 AM
Post #8

Brewer

Member No.: 223

The yield of cider to apples will vary from year to year, depending on a number of factors that will influence the actual liquid content of the apples. When we made hard cider two years ago we would get one gallon of cider for every five gallon bucket of apples.

+Quote Post
sidney porter
post Aug 10 2003, 12:53 AM
Post #9

Brewmaster

I was wrong ,my apples are not Granny Smith. They are Golden Delicious according to my wife, regardless they will be pressed and turned into cider.

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Aug 10 2003, 08:31 AM
Post #10

Brewmaster

QUOTE(sidney porter @ Aug 10 2003, 01:53 AM)
....my apples are not Granny Smith. They are Golden Delicious ...

Quite a difference... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2022 - 11:58 AM