Total Votes: 5
Guests cannot vote 
ScottS
post Dec 29 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 1,340

Manoir du Parc Authentic Cider, manufactured by La Brique, Saint-Joseph, France. 750 mls, 5% ABV.

The first thing I noticed about this cider is that it was DANGEROUSLY OVERCARBONATED. The second I took the wire mesh out, the cork started to push back. It popped a second later, and started gushing cider all over the sink. I lost maybe 1/4 of the bottle.

No big loss though, this stuff is pretty nasty. Which is surprising, considering the fact that their perry is AWESOME.

Color is amber, with lots of carbonation. Pouring occurs in 4 stages, because there is so much foam. Some sediment in the bottle. The smell of the cider is slightly musty, with only a hint of apple. On tasting, that impression remains. First I notice that it tastes really musty, then I notice out-of-balance tannins, then I notice that it's unpleasantly dry, then I notice that there really aren't any redeeming qualities. Little to no apple flavor, little to no sweetness, mostly just funk.

I would not buy this again. I'm going to drink the rest, rather than pouring it down the drain, so I guess that merits a 3. But I certainly won't be buying another bottle.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Jan 29 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

Manoir du Parc - Authentic Cider from Normandy, Brut, p.0% abv, Prouduced and bottled by La Brique, Saint Joseph, France. Imported by Normandie Import, Portland, OR.

Because this was a French cider, I had great expectations for it. However, I was very disappointed by the weak aroma, and the phenolic aftertaste that masked any apple character. At first I had a very difficult time trying to identify this very unexpected flavor. It was not bitter or astringent. Yet, I knew I did not like it. At first I thought the flavor may have come from a batch of "bad" (rotten?) apples. And then after a week's time I tried a second bottle and the odd flavor was also in that bottle. It occured to me that I had tasted something like it before - Chloraseptic throat spray (contains phenol). (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/shock.gif) Beyond the phenolic midpalate, the cider is lightly carbonated, and has very little acidity.

The list of ingredients: 100% fermented apple juice.

I bought this cider from: Liquid Solutions, Price $7.55/ 750 ml bottle - I will NOT buy it again. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sad.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 12:47 PM