Jess
post Feb 16 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #32

Assistant Brewer
Group Icon

Group: Super Admin
Member No.: 3,729

QUOTE(Chauvan @ Feb 15 2006, 09:04 PM)
What about HBA recipe kits?  Are those going to carry over to AltBev?  Or has CJ's notoriety fallen off? 

AltBev also charges for cracking grain.  HBA didn't.  Can we expect to get screwed on this? 

I see the memberships are being honored for now, but what happens as they expire?  AltBev doesn't seem to have the same mechanism. 

Can we expect to see AltBev offering a .pdf of the recipe like HBA did?  Or will that unique and much appreciated feature fall off and die?

Yoomann here!

We will be keeping most, if not all the recipes. I have been very impressed with the number of all-grain recipes that HBA processes. AltBev has 100+ recipes of it's own - by far the most in business. I will not mind adding to that total.

I haven't talked to CJ yet but I look forward to it.

We do charge for cracking grain but we'll do a good job, we'll do it quick, we'll keep our equipment in good repair and we'll clean up after ourselves.

I am researching a means by which we can institute and maintain a membership status. I keep you in the loop on this one.

There is probably going to be some modification to the policy of publishing the pdf's for the recipes for good reasons - think about it. A customer in Calif prints the pdf, drives down to the local shop, fills the order, takes it home and brews it. We will find a way to share our 90-Minute Double Pale Ale recipe with a loyal customer on request without sharing it with the world.

We ask for patience and understanding. We will try our darnest to keep you happen.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jess
post Feb 17 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #33

Assistant Brewer
Group Icon

QUOTE(WhiteSoxFan @ Feb 16 2006, 02:29 AM)
A number of the Extract Ale recipe PDF's are no longer linked...

Abbey Normal, Aniline Ale, Big Ben, Schizoid, High Sierra Bigfeet, High Sierra Pale to name a few.

All of the All Grain and all of the Lager pdf's are there. 

Get 'em now before they're gone, I guess.

Yooman here!

Don't worry about the pdf's for the present. The linked were removed before the change in ownership. It will take a few days but the links will be restored and will remain on site for the present time. We will give you 30 days notice before pulling the pdf's. - that's a promise.

+Quote Post
Jess
post Feb 17 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #34

Assistant Brewer
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pete Maz @ Feb 16 2006, 08:40 AM)
I happened to be in Charlotte back on Feb 4th (Saturday) and stopped by the shop to pick up some supplies, and at that time they had a sign on the door about no longer having weekend hours because they were moving.  Is that associated with this merger, or was that just an old sign?

And yes, the orders definitely seem to be bogged down in cyberspace.  I wound up placing my "walk-in" order via the website, and have yet to see or hear anything about it.  Working on 9 days now...

Yoomann here!

At the time of the change in ownership, there were some problems with depleted stock at HBA that caused some orders to be bogged down. We have been working to resolve the problems while consolidating the operations. There have been glitches along the way but are making great headway. We have to deligent in our efforts to maintain control of our inventory or we could end up in the same shape.

Unfortunately, some customers will not be able to brew this week end and that is very up-setting. It will not happen again. Altbev is accustom to putting out 60-70 orders every Monday - we'll be caught up by Tuesday.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Feb 17 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #35

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

QUOTE(Yoomann @ Feb 17 2006, 02:16 PM)
Unfortunately, some customers will not be able to brew this week end and that is very up-setting. It will not happen again. Altbev is accustom to putting out 60-70 orders every Monday - we'll be caught up by Tuesday.
I'm glad to hear that! I know that a big transition like this can cause problems, but with you, Ale, Jason and D-Man working on the backlog, I'd be surprised if it wasn't cleared up promptly!

Everyone, did you hear this? They'll be caught up by Tuesday. That means D-Man will be free to pack up all those JPA hops -- get your orders in now! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
REM
post Feb 17 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #36

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,644

QUOTE(REM @ Feb 17 2006, 04:55 PM)
Welcome Yoomann!

The board is a really great place that reminds me of the old BBS days. I'm really impressed with the collective brewing knowledge that abounds in the brew forums. It's always nice to check out PH for humor or whatever is going on at the moment.

I'm a beginner AG guy who has been using two online sites that I found after doing price comparisons when I decided to brew again. This is simply because I had good luck with all orders, I was familiar with the sites after ordering and they stored my CC info to make ordering quick and easy.

I'll be planning to make all future orders here as a small gesture of my appreciation for providing the Brewboard. I probably should have made this gesture earlier, given the entertainment that I receive here.
posted in another thread, redirected back to you... no reply necessary.

I do really appreciate the board.

Edit: I hope that mediation will require at least an "R" rating though. A "G" is pushing even the most timid here currently.

+Quote Post
REM
post Feb 17 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #37

Brewmaster

Cool. I like the way that colors...

+Quote Post
REM
post Feb 17 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #38

Brewmaster

QUOTE(REM @ Feb 17 2006, 05:11 PM)
Cool. I like the way that colors...

Thanks for the double post correction!

+Quote Post
Guest_Ted_*
post Feb 18 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #39

Guests

Good luck Yooman! It's sad to see HBA go.
I do have one question, is the Sunday chat going to still take place? Ale hosting?

+Quote Post
psolio
post Feb 18 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #40

Brewer

Member No.: 2,594

I would suggest kindly that the name stay Homebrew Adventures. Alternative Beverage sounds more like a liquor store than a supply shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
glennh2os
post Feb 18 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #41

Brewer

Member No.: 3,285

QUOTE(Yoomann @ Feb 17 2006, 12:48 AM)
Yoomann here!

There is probably going to be some modification to the policy of publishing the pdf's for the recipes for good reasons - think about it. A customer in Calif prints the pdf, drives down to the local shop, fills the order, takes it home and brews it. We will find a way to share our 90-Minute Double Pale Ale recipe with a loyal customer on request without sharing it with the world.

Something for you to consider while you are thinking about the PDF's. Some of the homebrewing community might very well follow the California example you gave above. But a number of us might also use those recipes as a starting point for their recipes (to get the ideas flowing), ORDER the stuff or extra stuff from HBA they need .. then brew. Face it there are bazillions of recipes on the net. But wouldn't you rather have the people who are already on the site, be able to CONVIENTLY keep clicking on your site (while they are there already!) to order the stuff they need based on the recipe they just read?? Just something to consider!

+Quote Post
Jimvy
post Feb 19 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #42

Brewmaster
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 569

QUOTE(Yoomann @ Feb 17 2006, 12:48 AM)
Yoomann here!

I know that the five guys struggled with this at first too. I'm sure Ale can shed some light on how it affected business when they decided to put them up on the site a few years ago.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Feb 20 2006, 01:06 AM
Post #43

on hiatus...

My thought on the recipes is that at the very least the ingredients included in the kit should be listed (even if the exact amounts aren't listed). I hate buying something when I'm not sure what's in it. Also, some people don't like the flavor of certain ingredients -- for example, I don't like Fuggle hops. If I had to buy a kit blind and then found out when it arrived that it had Fuggle, I wouldn't be very happy.

+Quote Post
80Schilling
post Feb 20 2006, 06:35 AM
Post #44

Brewmaster

Member No.: 92

QUOTE(glennh2os @ Feb 18 2006, 05:56 PM)
But a number of us might also use those recipes as a starting point for their recipes (to get the ideas flowing), ORDER the stuff or extra stuff from HBA they need .. then brew.

I've done this. In fact, several times I've ordered a kit, plus some extra ingredient or other to modify the kit the way I wanted. For example, when I was doing small partial mashes I might order an extra kit and then some extra grains to use in the mash in order to pump the kit up, so to speak. The question you have to ask about this hypothetical brewer from Cali. is whether keeping him from seeing the recipe is really going to make him buy the kit online. My guess is that the answer is usually no. There are a gazillion recipes for any style of beer online, and if he is really committed to buying ingredients from his LHBS then he'll just follow a different recipe. Now maybe if he is a forum regular he'll get excited about some HBA recipe that he has heard is very unique, like the JPA. But in that case, there will have been so much discussion of the recipe in the forums that he won't need the PDF anyway. Letting someone who isn't going to buy the ingredients for his next batch from you anyway see your recipe doesn't cost you anything, and it might build up some good will that will help you get his business in the future.

This post has been edited by DrDale: Feb 20 2006, 06:35 AM

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Feb 20 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #45

on hiatus...

As usual, DrDale has a well-reasoned post. Thanks for putting it in a way that makes it seem somehow wrong NOT to post the recipes. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2018 - 02:38 PM