> Return of the Brewboard - Part II
psolio
post Mar 31 2006, 11:50 AM
Post #16

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,594

QUOTE(DrDale @ Mar 31 2006, 11:38 AM) *
Seriously, there are a few "classic" PH threads that ought to be kept, but of course a lot of the older threads could safely be deleted. I suspect that that is true in the beer forum, too. How many "What are theese things floating in my beer?!?" threads are we saving for posterity?

Although I agree, it isn't logistically possible. You are talking about a massive effort of pruning that is based on multiple variables that a human would then have to execute each thread. The other method is a simple SQL string saying to delete any threads older then X.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
80Schilling
post Mar 31 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #17

Brewmaster

Member No.: 92

QUOTE(psolio @ Mar 31 2006, 11:51 AM) *
Although I agree, it isn't logistically possible. You are talking about a massive effort of pruning that is based on multiple variables that a human would then have to execute each thread. The other method is a simple SQL string saying to delete any threads older then X.

Maybe. Or maybe a thread that hasn't been posted in after sone period of time---not one month, of course, but something longer---can be safely assumed to have been duplicated or superceded. I guess that the most important part of what I'm saying is that there are a few older PH threads that people might want to hold on to, because they are part of the lore of the place, and so it wouldn't be purely automatic to clean it out either. If it absolutely came to that to keep the BB going then of course, but these recent problems are something new, and it is more likely that they are caused by some glitch involved in moving to the new server than that suddenly the DB got to be too large (even if that is a contributing factor). Deleting any threads should be a last resort.

+Quote Post
Mainelybrew
post Mar 31 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #18

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,288

I never realized DrDale was a packrat (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

MB

+Quote Post
scubaj
post Apr 1 2006, 07:30 AM
Post #19

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 769

In all honesty, there should not be an issue with a sql database of the size of the forum. If I have heard properly, it's about 500meg. That's not that huge in the over all scope of why MySQL can handle. However, it may be a limitation on the forum software. It's been a while since I played with IPB, however most forum sotware packages allow you to remove threads within certian forums by date or size.

So other forums that work fantastic are vbulletin and simplemachines. vbulletin cost money (but so did this IPB) whereas simplemachines is free. The headache would be to convert the theme, however it looks mostly like it's a header with a different CSS (not a huge deal).

Anyway, maybe it's a growing pain of IPB more than anything. Just a guess...

+Quote Post
kroyster
post Apr 1 2006, 08:11 AM
Post #20

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 201

Some of the problems occured when the board was offline and I was working directly with the database via a mysql shell, so I don't think it's the software. It seems more likely that it's a mysql configuration issue, or a hardware (RAM) limitation on our dedicated server. The server seemed to choke when trying to run a 'repair table ibf_posts' (the largest table by far). It would run overnight, and I'd wake up to a non-responsive mysql daemon and/or a corrupted table.

+Quote Post
scubaj
post Apr 1 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #21

Assistant Brewer

What are the specs on the server? Why not do the repair function local and then upload the mysql server? Also - is it microsoft or linux based?

+Quote Post
kroyster
post Apr 1 2006, 10:23 AM
Post #22

Brewmaster

QUOTE(scubaj @ Apr 1 2006, 08:47 AM) *
What are the specs on the server? Why not do the repair function local and then upload the mysql server? Also - is it microsoft or linux based?
  1. Linux
  2. Intel Celeron
  3. 2.0 GHz or higher
  4. 512 MB DDR RAM
I could do the repair offline, but I'm not even sure there is a problem with the table that needs repairing. I was just trying anything I could think of. The fact that the repair never finished seems more of a symptom of the mysql settings or the server config, rather than the table itself. At any rate, I currently have IPB support looking into it. They have some custom scripts that will help them analyze the tables and indexes for problems.

+Quote Post
Mindflux
post Apr 1 2006, 10:35 AM
Post #23

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,236

QUOTE(scubaj @ Apr 1 2006, 06:30 AM) *
In all honesty, there should not be an issue with a sql database of the size of the forum. If I have heard properly, it's about 500meg. That's not that huge in the over all scope of why MySQL can handle. However, it may be a limitation on the forum software. It's been a while since I played with IPB, however most forum sotware packages allow you to remove threads within certian forums by date or size.

So other forums that work fantastic are vbulletin and simplemachines. vbulletin cost money (but so did this IPB) whereas simplemachines is free. The headache would be to convert the theme, however it looks mostly like it's a header with a different CSS (not a huge deal).

Anyway, maybe it's a growing pain of IPB more than anything. Just a guess...

SM IMHO is absolutely terrible. But, that's just IMHO. vBulletin is only about a 150/yr for the license last I checked.

I use phpBB for my forum.. but whatever floats the boat.

+Quote Post
scubaj
post Apr 1 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #24

Assistant Brewer

A celeron may be slight under powered to support everything and with 512mb of memory, that too may be a little lite.

Good that IPB is looking into it.

+Quote Post
kroyster
post Apr 1 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #25

Brewmaster

QUOTE(scubaj @ Apr 1 2006, 11:46 AM) *
A celeron may be slight under powered to support everything and with 512mb of memory, that too may be a little lite.

Agreed that's not a top of the line server. But we just moved from a shared hosting environment about a month ago. I figured if a shared hosting environment could handle us (although we limped along for a while), then even a low end dedicated server would be an improvement.

+Quote Post
twocents
post Apr 2 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #26

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,604

Preserving old threads? What ever would become of the baby diaper thread??? <eg>

+Quote Post
Tampa_Brewer
post Apr 3 2006, 07:20 AM
Post #27

Homebrewer

Member No.: 3,678

oh happy day!! the forum returns!!

+Quote Post
twocents
post Apr 3 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #28

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,604

just curious,
I presume live chat is part of the 'under construction' part?

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Apr 3 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #29

on hiatus...

Member No.: 69

QUOTE(twocents @ Apr 4 2006, 06:04 AM) *
just curious,
I presume live chat is part of the 'under construction' part?

Live Chat explanation (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Lagerdemain
post Apr 6 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #30

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE(kroyster @ Apr 1 2006, 10:23 AM) *
  1. Linux
  2. Intel Celeron
  3. 2.0 GHz or higher
  4. 512 MB DDR RAM
Not to offend, but that's WAAAAY underpowered to run a site as busy as this. You can get a good Dell Poweredge SC430 that will easily handle the load and it won't cost much. 512 mb RAM is really, really, really small given all the traffic this site handles.

Oh, and I don't know why the argument is keep vs. trash on these threads. Why not just create an archive and push the obsolete/old threads (however they are defined) there? Surely the search function can span multiple tables, no? Even if it couldn't, a separate search function could be defined for each archive, couldn't it? I guess I'm not seeing why anything has to be deleted.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018 - 01:03 AM