Total Votes: 61
Guests cannot vote 
cj in j
post Mar 31 2006, 03:57 AM
Post #1

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

Before the Great BB Crash of '06, we were talking about starting a Hop of the Week series to complement mach5's Style of the Week series. I was about to start one when the board crashed again, so I figured I'll do it now as sort of a welcome back for all BB members -- so welcome back! Let's start.

The first Hop of the Week is East Kent Golding.
(IMG:http://www.yakimachief.com/hopvarieties/images/goldingsm.jpg)
This is one of the quintessential English hops that lovers of English bitters, pale ales, IPAs, etc have come to love. Here's what Hop Union has to say about EKG.
UK KENT GOLDING
Pedigree: The Goldings are the traditional Old English hop. Developed by clonal selection from 1790 on starting from Canterbury Whitebine.
Maturity: Early mid and late maturing sub-varieties exist
Pickability/Drying/Baling: Tendency to shatter especially if too dry
Cone-Structure: Fairly loose and lax, medium to large in size
Lupulin: Quite small amounts, pale yellow in color
Aroma: Gentle, fragrant and pleasant
Alpha Acids: 4 5.5% w/w
Beta Acids: 2 3.5% w/w
Co-Humulone: 20 25% of alpha acids
Storageability: 65 80% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20 C
Total Oil: 0.6 1.0 mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 20 26% of whole oil
Humulene: 42 48% of whole oil
Caryophyllene: 12 16% of whole oil
Farnesene: <1% of whole oil
General Trade Perception: The classic English Ale hop which has been used extensively in kettle hopping and for dry hopping.
Possible Substitutions: US Golding, Whitbread Golding, UK Progress
Typical Beer Styles: All English style Ales, Belgian-Style Ales
Additional Information: Traded as East-Kent Goldings, if grown in East Kent, Kent Goldings if grown in mid-Kent, and Goldings if grown elsewhere.
So, what are your experiences, comments, complaints, questions or whatever about East Kent Goldings (or the other Goldings hops)? Anyone growing them? Favorite beers to use them in? If you want to say anything about this hop, please feel free to post.

And if you have a suggestion for future HOTW hops, let me know. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Flavaham
post Mar 31 2006, 05:53 AM
Post #2

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 5,305

This is a cool idea. Thanks man!

I will be brewing an all "Gold" ESB this weekend. I'm using Brewer's Gold for bittering, First Gold at 45 min, and East Kent at 15 and 5 min. I've had really no experience with any of these so I'll let you know how she turns out.

Thanks again!!
-g

Oh, one more thing, with all the grains that are available to brewers, maybe someone would be down for a "Grain of the Week" thread(?) I don't know much about most of them yet to be honest. Maybe I'm asking too much but it's an idea.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Mar 31 2006, 06:16 AM
Post #3

on hiatus...

I like the idea of an All-Gold brew! Not only cute, but should result in an interesting beer. Definitely let us know how it works out, either in this thread or a new one.

+Quote Post
Barley
post Mar 31 2006, 06:45 AM
Post #4

Brewer

Member No.: 2,233

CJ.
Have an Old Speckled Hen clone in the secondary dryhopping right now. Hopped only with Kent Goldings.
This is the first time I've ever used them and all samples have been really good. Very mild bittering and great flavor.

I like them.

brew on,
jeff

+Quote Post
Hokie Brewer
post Mar 31 2006, 07:01 AM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,304

QUOTE(Barley @ Mar 31 2006, 06:46 AM) *
CJ.
Have an Old Speckled Hen clone in the secondary dryhopping right now. Hopped only with Kent Goldings.
This is the first time I've ever used them and all samples have been really good. Very mild bittering and great flavor.

I like them.

brew on,
jeff

I love them as a finishing hop. They taste almost metallic to me, but with the bitterness, it's really good to me. I use them mostly in stouts, though 2 of the 4 beers I've brewed have been stouts.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Mar 31 2006, 07:23 AM
Post #6

on hiatus...

I have used US Golding in fruit beers, and they work well there -- probably because of the mildness that has been mentioned. I don't remember getting a metalic taste from them, though, but I haven't dry hopped with them either so maybe that's why.

One thing from the Hop Union description -- "Pickability/Drying/Baling: Tendency to shatter especially if too dry" -- really sticks in my mind, though. The last Golding hops I got from Freshops almost had no intact cones -- they all looked like pedals of the hop cones instead. I think I posted something at the time, and lots of you agreed with me.

+Quote Post
Howie
post Mar 31 2006, 07:33 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

Member No.: 642

I really like this hop. It is what I use for flavor and aroma in my English Bitters, even dry hopping with 1/2 oz on occasion. Nice mild, floral aroma. I've even used it for a finishing hop in a brown porter.

+Quote Post
Lund
post Mar 31 2006, 07:46 AM
Post #8

Brewer

Member No.: 3,876

Whenever I brew a bitter it just don't feel right without some EKG in it. I usually mix in some other hops with it though. I want the fruity mildness from it as a background note to more expressive hops usually.

+Quote Post
blksabbath
post Mar 31 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,715

I actually transplanted my two EKG plants into the ground last night. They were in big pots last year and grew great, but didn't produce any flowers. Hopefully this year.

+Quote Post
malangon
post Mar 31 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #10

Brewer

Group: Awaiting Validation
Member No.: 3,600

If you check out Designing Great Beers, Daniels has this hop as a component in a hell of a lot of different beers. Semms very versatile. I still have a big bag from Freshops in my freezer and I've been using them non-stop

+Quote Post
Aeneas
post Mar 31 2006, 09:47 AM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,044

Goldings are a great finishing hop, although I can't necessarily speak about the differences between EKGs, Kent Goldings, Yakima Golding or US Goldings, I can say that in general the family produces great aromatics and flavor elements. The aromatics I associate with Goldings are generally a floral character with some lemon and some grassiness, depending on the condition of the hops. Flavor characteristics are along the same lines, with a fruity, lemon zest-like quality with some grassy and notes of edible flowers and light spice (sometimes basil, parsely oregano) although this is FAR from dominant.
I can't say that I've used Goldings as a bittering hop although in that regard, I expect them to yield a mild bitterness with a smooth character.
The recipe I used to make my DFH 105 clone uses Goldings throughout and I can say that I quite like the beer.

Aeneas

+Quote Post
glennh2os
post Mar 31 2006, 09:55 AM
Post #12

Brewer

Member No.: 3,285

Love the hop..use it in many things British and otherwise.

Saw something though when I was shopping around, that I never really paid any attention to before. A hop called First Gold? Looked it up on Hop Union and saw it was a derivitive of E. Kent. Bought a couple ozs and intend to use them a bitter next weekend. I saw upstream in the posting someone else trying them too. Anyone ever use First Gold? Are they truly like E. Kent?

+Quote Post
drewseslu
post Mar 31 2006, 09:58 AM
Post #13

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,736

Great hop, I've brewed a really nice pale ale mixing them 50/50 with amarillos.

+Quote Post
Zandelar
post Mar 31 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,717

This is a very nice hop. I love the aroma it gives off when in the boil. I actually use EKG's as my bittering hop in my House Pale Ale. A delightfull earthy hop.

This post has been edited by Zandelar: Mar 31 2006, 10:12 AM

+Quote Post
Steve Ressel
post Mar 31 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #15

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,206

For me, this is a great idea. I've centered on the ideas of grains, and actual grains, and yeasts. Hops was to be this year's education. And so it will be now. Most hop information around is rather academic without the feedback of those who actually use it and can comment.

I haven't used Kent Goldings. Mostly had Germanic hops like Saaz, Tetnanger, Hallertrau, Northern Brewer, etc.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th July 2020 - 07:24 AM