Total Votes: 9
Guests cannot vote 
MtnBrewer
post Apr 13 2006, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 937

I've been using StarSan for a couple of years now and recently I decided to try out 5-Star's other sanitizer, SaniClean. This stuff is similar to StarSan, works pretty much the same way, but it's not supposed to be as foamy. I don't really mind the foam that much but there are times when it does get in the way. I was transferring a pilsner to the keg yesterday and my bucket of StarSan was looking pretty questionable so I dumped it and mixed up some SaniClean to try it out.

First impression is that it's darker than StarSan. Hopefully it won't stain my bucket and hoses over time but we'll see. It also takes more of it than StarSan. I used about 1/2 oz. per gallon vs. the 1 oz. per 5 gallons I use for StarSan. Contact time is twice as long too but that's not a problem for me because I usually dump my stuff in the sanitizing bucket and go find something else to do for a few minutes anyway. Also the measuring cup is not as convenient as StarSan. SaniClean's container has a reservoir which you fill up by tilting the container until the liquid runs into the measuring reservoir. The problem is that it also runs into the reservoir when you go to pour the liquid out. So it's hard to tell if you're using the right amount.

SaniClean is indeed a lot less foamy than StarSan. I put about 3 gallons of solution in the keg and shook it up to coat the inside surfaces and a few minutes later when I opened up the keg, there was not bubble one in there. With StarSan, the entire inside of the keg would have been a mass of foam. When I poured it into the bucket, it foamed up for a few seconds and that was it. One nice thing about this is that when I put my transfer hoses into the solution to soak, I could see if there were air bubbles in them where the sanitizer wasn't reaching. I also noticed that this stuff isn't near as slippery as StarSan. This is probably the same reason it's not foamy.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it assuming my pilsner doesn't get contaminated. The major complaint is the packaging, specifically the measuring reservoir. Unless there's a trick to using it that I didn't catch, this seems like a fatal flaw. But maybe I'm just not using it correctly. On the plus side, I do like being able to see into the bucket of sanitizer to make sure that everything in there is in contact with the liquid.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Apr 13 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #2

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

Mtn, thanks for the complete and detailed review (the only thing you forgot was the poll (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif) ). I gave it an 8 -- I like Saniclean a lot, but I use Star San more, so I couldn't give it the same as Star San (I think it's the lack of bubbles (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif) ).

However, there are a few comments I want to make based on the interview Charlie "5 Star" Talley gave on The Brewing Network (search for Sunday Live Show 03-19-06 in the Archives).
First impression is that it's darker than StarSan. Hopefully it won't stain my bucket and hoses over time but we'll see.
Staining shouldn't be a problem. The underlying detergent in Saniclean is darker than that used in Star San (which has been lightened up in the past few years, by the way), but there isn't any worry about staining.
It also takes more of it than StarSan. I used about 1/2 oz. per gallon vs. the 1 oz. per 5 gallons I use for StarSan.
Yes, it does take more, but according to Charlie, while Star San requires 1 oz in 5 gallons, Saniclean requires 1 oz in 3 gallons.
Contact time is twice as long too but that's not a problem for me because I usually dump my stuff in the sanitizing bucket and go find something else to do for a few minutes anyway.
Again, according the Charlie the contact time for both is 30 seconds. Legally he has to say that Star San needs a contact time of 3 minutes, but 30 seconds is enough. Also legally he can't say that Saniclean is a sanitizer due to the huge costs of testing and registration (apparently Star San was approved before new stringent regulations were put in place). So legally Saniclean is a non-foaming acid rinse. So what is Star San? It's a foaming acid rinse -- that's also legally a sanitizer. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)
Also the measuring cup is not as convenient as StarSan. SaniClean's container has a reservoir which you fill up by tilting the container until the liquid runs into the measuring reservoir. The problem is that it also runs into the reservoir when you go to pour the liquid out. So it's hard to tell if you're using the right amount.
I don't understand this -- on my bottle(s) of Saniclean, the reservoir/measuring cup is exactly the same. My bottle(s) all look like this.
(IMG:http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/thumbs/star-san.jpg)
Open the measuring cup cap (keeping the other side closed), squeeze the bottle until you get your desired amount, dump into the bucket. Works for me -- unless they recently changed things.
SaniClean is indeed a lot less foamy than StarSan. . . . . . One nice thing about this is that when I put my transfer hoses into the solution to soak, I could see if there were air bubbles in them where the sanitizer wasn't reaching. I also noticed that this stuff isn't near as slippery as StarSan. This is probably the same reason it's not foamy.
The slippery-ness in Star San (and Saniclean, I assume, can also become slippery in certain situations) is caused by the detergent "plating" on the surface of the plastic. Not a problem, from what Charlie said.

Like I said, overall it's a very good product -- especially good when you want to pump an acid sanitizer through your plate chiller. Star San tends to foam up (although it's not a problem once the chiller is packed), but Saniclean just whips in there with minimal bubbles and gets the job done! Definitely a solid 8 (maybe even approaching a 9).

Edit: While is was typing this in stealth mode, bbrodka added the info on The Brewing Network below -- sorry to steal your thunder, bb!

+Quote Post
bbrodka
post Apr 13 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #3

Brewer

Member No.: 4,519

This is a very good interview with the inventor and owner of 5 Star on these two products and when and where to use these two products and the differences
Enjoy
------
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive.p...subaction=&id=&
Sunday Live Show 03-19-06 20 Mar 2006 by Justin
Sunday Live Show 03-19-06 mp3 format

Our first official sanitation show. We are joined by Charlie Talley, one of the founders of Five Star Chemical Company. Charlie tells us all the do's and dont's of Star San, Saniclean, Iodiphor and PBW. It's an all around great discussion that dispels many of the myths around sanitizers, and answers many of the questions homebrewers have regarding sanitizing chemicals

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Apr 13 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

QUOTE(cj in j @ Apr 13 2006, 06:53 PM) *
I don't understand this -- on my bottle(s) of Saniclean, the reservoir/measuring cup is exactly the same. My bottle(s) all look like this.
(IMG:http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/thumbs/star-san.jpg)

I wish mine looked like that. That's what my StarSan container looks like. My SaniClean is different. It has a triangular-shaped reservoir that connects to the main reservoir at the top rather than through a tube to the bottom. I'll have to take a photo of it and post it for you. But not right now...I just finished my taxes and I'm going to reward myself with some tripel.

Regarding the name, I presumed something was up. It comes with elaborate instructions on how to remove "odors" from beer line and stuff like that but it never mentions sanitization.

Sorry about neglecting the poll. I didn't even think about it, just started typing away. Actually I was about 90% of the way to posting it in the Beer Forum. Then I remembered the product reviews and figured it would be bad form for a mod to have one of his posts moved. Thanks for taking care of the poll for me.

+Quote Post
BentwoodBlue
post Apr 17 2006, 06:53 AM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 3,613

Here is the picture of the saniclean bottle so everyone can get the idea.
(IMG:http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/ec8ffc80db.gif)

+Quote Post
Push Eject
post Apr 17 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #6

Brewer

Member No.: 5,321

It's all I use and works great. Never an infection.

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Apr 17 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

QUOTE(BentwoodBlue @ Apr 17 2006, 03:53 AM) *
Here is the picture of the saniclean bottle so everyone can get the idea.
(IMG:http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/ec8ffc80db.gif)

Thanks Bentwood. CJ as you can see, if you tilt the container to the left to pour out the SaniClean, more sanitizer will spill into the upper reservoir from below. So it's really hard to tell when you've used enough, the net result being that you use too much to be on the safe side. Again maybe there's a trick to it that's not obvious to me but I consider this a fatal flaw. I really like the stuff (I used it yesterday to brew with) but if they don't go back to the old packaging, I'm going back to StarSan.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th February 2018 - 03:10 PM