IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules PLEASE READ Before Submitting Recipes for Review
20 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Community Summer Beer, Final Recipes and Results Here!
cj in j
post Apr 18 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #1

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

Okay, based on the various comments in the preliminary recipe thread, here are the "final" recipes for the BrewBoard Community Summer Beer(s). There were a few minor changes from the preliminary, but I didn't change anything major. My grain and yeast choices are in parentheses, but you are free to choose appropriate substitutions -- also alternatives are listed for some of the grains and hops. Brewers are invited to try one or more of these recipes, or modify and create your own. If you do something different, let us know by posting it here. I'll be brewing this in about two weeks, and will post notes and results when appropriate -- please let us know how yours goes as well.

==========

BB Community Summer Ale
all-grain, 5.5 gallons, 75% efficiency
OG = 1.055, FG = 1.013, IBU = 41, SRM = 14, 5-5.5% alcohol

Grains
8 lbs pale 2-row (Crisp Maris Otter)
2 lbs Munich (Weyermann light Munich) [alternative: Vienna]
0.5 lbs medium crystal 60 (Dingemans caramunich)
0.5 lbs aromatic (Dingemans aromatic)
2 oz chocolate malt (Weyermann chocolate wheat) [alternatives: carafa II/debittered black]

Hops
1 oz Willamette (5.5%) -- first wort hop [alternative: Fuggle]
1.25 oz Northern Brewer (8.5%) -- 60 min
0.5 oz Saaz (4.0%) -- 10 min [alternative: Sterling]
0.5 oz Saaz (4.0%) -- end of boil/hopback [alternative: Sterling]

Yeast
British ale yeast (Wyeast 1026 British Cask Ale) [alternatives: German ale yeast or Belgian yeast]

Other
gypsum or calcium chloride, as needed
yeast nutrient
Irish moss or Whirlfloc

Mash at 150-152F. For those worried about roasted flavors from the chocolate, add finely crushed chocolate malt to the top of the mash just before starting recirculation.

==========

BB Community Summer Ale
extract + partial mash, 5.5 gallons, 60% efficiency
OG = 1.055, FG = 1.013, IBU = 41, SRM = 14, 5-5.5% alcohol

Grains
5 lbs light/extra light DME
0.75 lbs medium crystal 60 (Dingemans caramunich)
0.75 lbs aromatic (Dingemans aromatic)
3 oz chocolate malt (Weyermann chocolate wheat) [alternatives: carafa II/debittered black]

Hops
1 oz Willamette (5.5%) -- first wort hop [alternative: Fuggle]
1.25 oz Northern Brewer (8.5%) -- 60 min [1.5 oz for partial boil]
0.5 oz Saaz (4.0%) -- 10 min [alternative: Sterling]
0.5 oz Saaz (4.0%) -- end of boil/hopback [alternative: Sterling]

Yeast
British ale yeast (Wyeast 1026 British Cask Ale) [alternatives: German ale yeast or Belgian yeast]

Other
yeast nutrient
Irish moss or Whirlfloc

Mash grains in 1.5 gallons water at 150-152F for 30-45 min. [Note: A spaghetti pot with a strainer or colander works great. Preheat oven to the lowest temp it will handle. Once preheated, turn off oven and put spaghetti pot w/mash in for 30-45 minutes.] Strain runnings into pot, then pour runnings over grains one more time to filter out grain pieces. Rinse/sparge grains with 1.5 gallons of 170F water. Do not squeeze grains, just let them drip into brewpot. Top off brewpot to desired volume, add first wort hops, and slowly heat to boiling (should take 30+ minutes in order to get benefit from first wort hops). Add DME using your normal method (all at beginning, half at beginning half near end, etc), and follow hopping schedule above.

==========

BB Imperial Summer Ale
all-grain, 5.5 gallons, 75% efficiency
OG = 1.085, FG = 1.020, IBU = 85, SRM = 15, 8-9% alcohol

Grains
14 lbs pale 2-row (Crisp Maris Otter)
2 oz chocolate malt (Weyermann chocolate wheat) [alternatives: carafa II/debittered black]

Hops
1.5 oz Willamette (5.5%) -- first wort hop [alternative: Fuggle]
2.25 oz Magnum (14.0%) -- 60 min
1 oz Saaz (4.0%) -- 10 min [alternative: Sterling]
1 oz Saaz (4.0%) -- end of boil/hopback [alternative: Sterling]

Yeast

Other
gypsum or calcium chloride, as needed
yeast nutrient
Irish moss or Whirlfloc

Mash at 148-150F. For those worried about roasted flavors from the chocolate, add finely crushed chocolate malt to the top of the mash just before starting recirculation.

==========

BB Imperial Summer Ale
extract + partial mash, 5.5 gallons, 60% efficiency
OG = 1.085, FG = 1.020, IBU = 85, SRM = 15, 8-9% alcohol

Grains
9 lbs light/extra light DME

Hops
1.5 oz Willamette (5.5%) -- first wort hop
2.25 oz Magnum (14.0%) -- 60 min [2.75 oz for partial boil]
1 oz Saaz (4.0%) -- 10 min [alternative: Sterling]
1 oz Saaz (4.0%) -- end of boil/hopback [alternative: Sterling]

Yeast

Other
yeast nutrient
Irish moss or Whirlfloc

Mash grains in 1.5 gallons water at 148-150F for 30-45 min. [Note: A spaghetti pot with a strainer or colander works great. Preheat oven to the lowest temp it will handle. Once preheated, turn off oven and put spaghetti pot w/mash in for 30-45 minutes.] Strain runnings into pot, then pour runnings over grains one more time to filter out grain pieces. Rinse/sparge grains with 1.5 gallons of 170F water. Do not squeeze grains, just let them drip into brewpot. Top off brewpot to desired volume, add first wort hops, and slowly heat to boiling (should take 30+ minutes in order to get benefit from first wort hops). Add DME using your normal method (all at beginning, half at beginning half near end, etc), and follow hopping schedule above.

==========
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris34
post Apr 18 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Member No.: 4,100

alright lets get brewing

+Quote Post
azmtnbiker
post Apr 18 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,896

Looks good CJ. Never tried 1026 before so I am looking forward to using it. I might try the imperial version.
Thanks

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Apr 18 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #4

on hiatus...

QUOTE(Chris34 @ Apr 19 2006, 08:51 AM) *
alright lets get brewing

You got that right! My yeast is puffed up and I'm making a starter when I get home from work tonight. I may be able to pull off a brew on Friday this week, but more likely it'll have to be Friday next week. If it's next week, that'll give me time to build up the yeast to a LOT of yeast!

QUOTE(azmtnbiker @ Apr 19 2006, 08:53 AM) *
Looks good CJ. Never tried 1026 before so I am looking forward to using it. I might try the imperial version.
1026 is my absolute favorite yeast all time! Easy to work with, great clearing, easy to harvest and reuse, and a nice flavor profile, especially when you want something a bit on the dry side.

+Quote Post
DJ in KC
post Apr 18 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,181

QUOTE(cj in j @ Apr 18 2006, 06:56 PM) *

1026 is my absolute favorite yeast all time! Easy to work with, great clearing, easy to harvest and reuse, and a nice flavor profile, especially when you want something a bit on the dry side.

Gotta ask again will 1275 handle the high gravity version. 1026 isn't available at the LHBS. I think I'll brew this one as is except for the yeast. If anyone thinks 1275 would be a bad choice I'll order the 1026 and some choc wheat at the same time.

dj

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Apr 18 2006, 07:44 PM
Post #6

on hiatus...

1275 is the Thames Valley Ale Yeast, right? I've never used that strain, but the specs are similar to my beloved 1026, so I don't think you'll have a problem with it. Just make sure you mash low (or use a fermentable extract), especially with the Imperial version.

+Quote Post
BeerIsGoodForYou
post Apr 18 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #7

Brewer

Member No.: 5,365

I'm on my way to the supply shop in the morning, need co2 and some propane as well. Let you know when it hits the fermenter. Going for the Partial Mash summer ale.
Thank You

+Quote Post
MAZ
post Apr 18 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #8

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,264

QUOTE(DJ in KC @ Apr 18 2006, 07:05 PM) *
Gotta ask again will 1275 handle the high gravity version. 1026 isn't available at the LHBS. I think I'll brew this one as is except for the yeast. If anyone thinks 1275 would be a bad choice I'll order the 1026 and some choc wheat at the same time.

dj

It will be fine, just pitch a good amount. Last year I made an IIPA using that yeast and it took a 1.091 down to 1.018. Nice tasting yeast too... definitely British!

+Quote Post
Chris34
post Apr 18 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #9

Brewer

Member No.: 4,100

Alright my grains are on the way. I will be brewing the AG Summer Ale with no changes to the planned recipe. I will be using 1026 for the yeast of choice. I have never used 1026 before but from what CJ said about it I believe it will go very well with this style of beer. I should be brewing this in about 2 weeks an will post how it turns out.

CJ you've created a monster here........ (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
azmtnbiker
post Apr 18 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,896

It will be fine, just pitch a good amount. Last year I made an IIPA using that yeast and it took a 1.091 down to 1.018. Nice tasting yeast too... definitely British!

That gives me an idea. I have an ESB on 1275 that I have yet to rack to secondary or keg. I might make the imperial version with that then make the regular ale with 1026. Hmm, what to do.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Apr 18 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #11

on hiatus...

QUOTE(azmtnbiker @ Apr 19 2006, 11:18 AM) *
Hmm, what to do.

Sounds like in your heart, you already decided! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/devil.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
dime0000
post Apr 19 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #12

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,872

ah well - hope no one's too disappointed in me. I'll just be sticking with this recipe, as i *had* to buy ingredients to brew Saturday, and i just had no more of an opprotunity to run out beforehand...

and its a good thing i did, too, cause the yeast i bought from the LHBS was manufactured Dec 6!! i created that starter pronto this morning!

EDIT: QUESTION: are we to schedule local get togethers to compare?? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by dime0000: Apr 19 2006, 07:47 AM

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Apr 19 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #13

on hiatus...

No problem -- the recipes here are just guidelines to get us in the general ballpark. Tweak as you like! What yeast are you using? The Thames Valley? I'll be interesting in hearing how that turns out.

As for local get togethers, hell yeah! I'd love to be able to share some with you guys, but that probably isn't going to happen. I'll be coming to the States probably around the end of July thru middle of August (perhaps), but doubt if I'll be able to carry a lot of beers with me. But I really hope that some of you will find the time and energy to do a group tasting and report back to us.

+Quote Post
JB-Brewer
post Apr 19 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #14

Brewer

Member No.: 4,966

I'll be doing the partial mash... and this will be my first partial mash ever! Can't wait!

+Quote Post
ggltd
post Apr 19 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #15

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 3,503

Cj - Great job on this! This opens a whole fresh look to this site.where brewers could actually agree on a recipe. We could have end of summer, fall, winter blues.... maybe even fringe stuff like fantasy brews.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2020 - 08:31 PM