IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Performance issues fixed (?), maybe. hopefully.
kroyster
post Jun 16 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 201

I hope I don't have to eat these words later, but I think I have found and fixed the performance issue. I had identified a particular database query that was causing the problem, and my attempts to optimise it were not helping. So last night I searched the source code for the brewboard to find out where this troubling database query was coming from and what it's purpose was, but I could not find it anywhere. So I then expanded my search into archives of older versions (from prior upgrades) and found it in a 3rd party RSS feed. Thing is, this feed was no longer needed since the new version of the software has RSS built in, but I had failed to removed the old files. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/blush.gif) So people who had linked to the old RSS feeds prior to the upgrades were still using this inefficient database query that was locking up the board for everybody. Not their fault, of course.

I have disabled these old RSS feeds now and encourage anybody using them to update their links. So far, the board seems snappier to me. I will continue to monitor the board performance to make sure it has been resolved, and make sure that these new RSS feeds do not cause the same problem. (If they do, I may have to disable that feature entirely.)

Once I am satisfied that it has been fixed, I will move the archived beer posts back to the main forum. I will also investigate the possibility of restoring posts that were deleted earlier this year in an attempt to reduce the size of the database. Note the emphasis on "investigate" - I make no promises, as I don't know if I have that data or if it can be restored at this late of a date. Even if possible, it will be weeks or months before I get to that point, because I want to wait that long to be sure the board performance issues really have been fixed first.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mikebrad
post Jun 16 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #2

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 222

where did all my posts go? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/mad.gif)

j/k...i haven't had any issues with the board today...hope it is fixed for good (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
SammyP
post Jun 17 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #3

Brewer

Group: deleted
Member No.: 3,891

It's running damn fast for me at the moment. It was incredibly slow a couple days ago. Thanks Kroyster!

+Quote Post
flourdude
post Jun 17 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #4

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 3,016

it's running nicely as well. Thanks for all you do. I'm sure it is a thankless job.........

+Quote Post
dirt_mcgirt
post Jun 18 2006, 09:07 AM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,194

I run Firefox and it looks really strange now. I think I have no frames.

+Quote Post
kroyster
post Jun 18 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #6

Brewmaster

QUOTE(sirbrewzalot @ Jun 18 2006, 10:07 AM) *
I run Firefox and it looks really strange now. I think I have no frames.

What looks strange? RSS feeds or the board itself? I haven't changed anything regarding the board appearance. And neither uses frames.

+Quote Post
dirt_mcgirt
post Jun 18 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

It looks like this. I'm not exactly sure what a frame is, that was just a guess.
(IMG:http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9123/brewboardone1yh.jpg)
(IMG:http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1966/brewboardtwo5zr.jpg)

+Quote Post
kroyster
post Jun 18 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #8

Brewmaster

That's weird. It looks like your browser is ignoring the cascading style sheets (css). CSS dictates the colors, fonts, layout, etc that gives all web pages within a site a consistant look and feel. I'm not really sure what would be causing this to happen for you.

+Quote Post
Chauvan
post Jun 18 2006, 10:40 AM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,251

I've had it do that to me, but I've just closed the browser(Firefox as well) and reopen it was cured. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sorry.gif)

+Quote Post
dirt_mcgirt
post Jun 18 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #10

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Chauvan @ Jun 18 2006, 11:40 AM) *
I've had it do that to me, but I've just closed the browser(Firefox as well) and reopen it was cured. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sorry.gif)

I tried that, and I just restarted my computer, still messed up (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sad.gif)

I love tabbed browsing, but firefox seems to get more buggy with each release.

Edit - shift-refresh fixed it!

This post has been edited by sirbrewzalot: Jun 18 2006, 11:13 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2018 - 11:36 AM