IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hop of the Week (HOTW) -- Newport, Your Thoughts?
Hop of the Week (HOTW) -- Newport
Overall rating of Newport
5 -- Fantastic [ 2 ] ** [4.76%]
4 [ 2 ] ** [4.76%]
3 [ 4 ] ** [9.52%]
2 [ 2 ] ** [4.76%]
1 -- Terrible [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
0 -- Never tried them [ 32 ] ** [76.19%]
Total Votes: 47
Guests cannot vote 
just-cj
post Jul 6 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,655

This week, by request (thanks blktre), we examine a fairly new US hop, Newport. Let’s see what HopUnion has to say first.
US NEWPORT
Pedigree: Open pollination
Maturity: Moderately late
Pickability/Drying/Baling: Good
Cone-Structure: Medium-large, somewhat loose
Lupulin: Moderate, yellow in color
Aroma: Mild
Alpha Acids: 13.5 – 17% w/w
Beta Acids: 7.2 – 9.1% w/w
Co-Humulone: 36 – 38% of alpha acids
Storageability: 60% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20 C
Total Oil: 1.6 – 3.36 mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 47 – 54% of whole oil
Humulene: 9 – 14% of whole oil
Caryophyllene: 4.5 – 7% of whole oil
Farnesene: <1% of whole oil
General Trade Perception: Viewed as a high-bittering alpha hop.
Possible Substitutions: Galena, Nugget, Fuggle, Magnum, Brewer’s Gold
Typical Beer Styles: Ales, Stout, Barley Wine
Additional Information: One of the newest varieties to be released in the US (Year 2002)

I heard that Newport was discovered by a hop farmer, growing wild in his field -- in other words, one of those flukes of nature.

The first beer I heard of that used Newport was a seasonal made by Rogue, but I never had the chance to try it. I first got a chance to use them when I got a grab bag hop sampler from an eBay seller (who has since stopped responding to my emails, so he doesn’t get a recommendation here), and the only information I could find on them was buried in a Rouge Newsletter. Knowing only that Rogue used them and that they were somewhat earthy and spicy, I brewed up a single-hop pale ale to see what they were all about. I found them to be very earthy and grassy -- reminded me of some of the British hops. I liked them enough to order more this year, but I’m still not all that in love with them.

So, what are your experiences brewing with or drinking beers make with Newport hops? Recipes? Questions? Comments? Anything at all? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

Previous HOTW: Challenger / Columbus / Crystal / East Kent Golding / Glacier / Liberty / Magnum / Spalt / Tettnanger / Tomahawk / Willamette

Future HOTW: Perle, Warrior, Amarillo (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

Edit: Crap, I forgot to add a poll. Hopefully kroyster can conjure up something for us. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by just-cj: Jul 6 2006, 07:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wofat
post Jul 6 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,198

QUOTE(just-cj @ Jul 6 2006, 07:35 PM) *
Edit: Crap, I forgot to add a poll. Hopefully kroyster can conjure up something for us. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

DOH!

Well, I have a pound on the way, but have yet to try them. It's been claimed that Rogue's IIPA has them in it, but I can't remember whether I read that on a bottle, or in BYO.

+Quote Post
blktre
post Jul 6 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,743

ive got a 1/2#.....and have started not liking grassy..........Tj, give me my money back (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/hehe.gif)

+Quote Post
barleypopmaker
post Jul 6 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,088

I just brewed a Newport Pale Ale last week. That will be my first ever experience with using them. I didn't go for anything very hoppy in case it was not that great. I thought the aroma was quite different than any other hop I have smelled. I thought they smelled a lot like fresh hay, not barnyard hay but liek when you drive down the interstate or higway and those road guys are cutting that long grass and weeds with those large industrial mowers......that's what it reminded me of. I guess that could be considered Earthy/grassy. I plan to bottle sometime early next week, maybe I will dig this thread up and post my opinion.

This post has been edited by barleypopmaker: Jul 6 2006, 09:25 PM

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Jul 7 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,655

QUOTE(barleypopmaker @ Jul 7 2006, 11:23 AM) *
I plan to bottle sometime early next week, maybe I will dig this thread up and post my opinion.
Make that a "definitely I will dig up this thread"! Please!! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

Got the poll added. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
al_bob
post Jul 7 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,588

I haven't used them and know of no beer I've had with them in it. I'll be reading to learn more about them.

I can see these HOTW threads being very useful down the road. In addition to my Hop Union Databook, I'll be able to pull up real world experiences whenever I get ready to try something new.

Post your thoughts people, please! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/crazy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sarcasm.gif)

+Quote Post
zombudis
post Aug 8 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #7

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,456

QUOTE(barleypopmaker @ Jul 6 2006, 09:23 PM) *
I just brewed a Newport Pale Ale last week. That will be my first ever experience with using them. I didn't go for anything very hoppy in case it was not that great. I thought the aroma was quite different than any other hop I have smelled. I thought they smelled a lot like fresh hay, not barnyard hay but liek when you drive down the interstate or higway and those road guys are cutting that long grass and weeds with those large industrial mowers......that's what it reminded me of. I guess that could be considered Earthy/grassy. I plan to bottle sometime early next week, maybe I will dig this thread up and post my opinion.

I have two or four oz of whole leaf newport in my freezer, and am thinking about throwing them into a pale ale, esb, am. strong ale, or something along these lines (yeast will most likely be a fresh cake of WLP013). Will post results. I haven't been able to find much info available about these hops yet.

+Quote Post
drewseslu
post Aug 8 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #8

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,736

I bought a pound last September and haven't used more than two ounces so far, but I've heard they're good for flavor in IPAs and IIPAs.
Jimvy made a SHPA with 'em, maybe he'll chime in.

+Quote Post
tjthresh
post Aug 8 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,283

QUOTE(blktre @ Jul 6 2006, 08:45 PM) *
ive got a 1/2#.....and have started not liking grassy..........Tj, give me my money back (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/hehe.gif)

Not a chance.

I have the other half of that pound. Don't know what I'm going to do with them. Prolly a single hop deal. How boringl.

+Quote Post
friedlbug
post Dec 7 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #10

Brewer

Member No.: 5,351

QUOTE(barleypopmaker @ Jul 6 2006, 09:23 PM) *

Hey BPM, how'd you're Newport Pale Ale turn out?

+Quote Post
Dude
post Jul 4 2007, 06:30 AM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,348

Bump.

I have a few ounces of these--I want to know if I should use them in a single hop PA or randallize them. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Pete Maz
post Jul 4 2007, 07:03 AM
Post #12

Brewer

Member No.: 4,524

Dude, here's a linkto CJ's single-hop pale ale thread from a while back. Among others, he did a Newport version. I believe there are some other comments in there as well.

+Quote Post
bo_gator
post Jul 4 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #13

Brewmaster

Member No.: 7,848

I just tried my ESB that was bittered and flavored by Newport hops (60& 30) it has a nice harshness like Chinook at 30 minutes, but I haven't gotten real flavor out of them.

+Quote Post
consumes
post Nov 10 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,329

im looking forward to using these .. i have a pound of pellets in my freezer

+Quote Post
zombudis
post Jul 16 2008, 07:31 PM
Post #15

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,456

I used newport for my last saison, turned out quite nice. Great bittering hop.

This post has been edited by Orudis: Jul 16 2008, 07:31 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th July 2020 - 07:39 AM