1 lb Crystal 40
2 lbs Cane Sugar
1.25 lbs Malto Dextrine
.5 oz Willamette FWH
.5 oz Willamette 60 min.
1 gal apple juice to top off in primary
S-04 yeast

5 gallons

Well, I'm not sure what to expect with this one. I'm kind of shooting from the hip, trying to get something slightly sweet with a little apple flavor. I do not expect cider, just apple-tasting beer. We'll see how it goes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
friedlbug
post Jul 13 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #2

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,351

The recipe above was gross. In my ongoing quest to get his one right, I attempted apple ale again last night. I have attempted one other time (back around Christmas) since the attempt above. That one was 2 lbs Maris Otter and 1 lb Crystal 10 mashed at a ratio of 1.125 qt/lb and sparged at 1.5 qt/lb at 159f (I'm going for residual sweetness here), then topped off in the fermentor with 1 gallon store bought apple cider and 1 gallon store bought apple juice. Hops were .5 oz of Liberty for full wort hops, no bittering, flavor, or aroma (hops were a mistake). Fermented with Nottingham ale yeast at winter cellar temp (about 55f-60f), this fermented for about a week. That one turned out good other than the hops flavor was completely out of place, and I ended up dumping it, too.

Last night I made it like this:
No hops. 2 lbs Vienna mashed at 1.5 qt/lb at 160f (getting my residual sweetness from the malt). Mashed 45 minutes, sparged with 180f water at 1.5 qt/lb and boiled with 1 gallon of water and 1 lb dark brown sugar. Added 1/8 tsp ground cinamon. Topped off to 5 gallons with 2 gallons chilled apple juice and a little more than 1 gallon of chilled water. OG 1.038 Pitched Nottingham again.

My thinking is to let the yeast blow through the fructose and brown sugar, but retain enough unfermentable sugar from the high temp mash to have a less dry cider that is safe to carb through bottle conditioning. I hope to have gotten something drinkable this time.

+Quote Post
Yeasty Boy
post Jul 14 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,954

Third time's the charm! Way to stick with an idea, bro!
May I suggest getting a bottle of cider and blending it with four or five totally different beers to find out what sort of base beer you like best?

+Quote Post
friedlbug
post Jul 14 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #4

Brewer

QUOTE(Yeasty Boy @ Jul 14 2007, 10:50 AM) *
Third time's the charm! Way to stick with an idea, bro!
May I suggest getting a bottle of cider and blending it with four or five totally different beers to find out what sort of base beer you like best?

Good idea. I need to tune out the hops, though, because they are totally not good with a cider taste. Kinda like slightly onion flavored iced tea (not in flavor, just in concept). (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/crazy.gif)

+Quote Post
friedlbug
post Sep 28 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #5

Brewer

OK, either I'm determined or obsessed, but I'm trying a fourth time. The flavor was perfect the last time, with plenty of apple, a nice cinamon flavor, and the right amount of malt flavor. The problem? No sweetness whatsoever, regardless of the high mash temp. It's almost like the yeast started on the fructose and brown sugar (sucrose?) and continued right through. So, this time I'll do just about the same thing, but add .5 lb more malt and raise mash temps as high as I dare, malto dextrine (I don't want too much more malt), and emphasize low attenuation over clean flavor (switch from Nottingham to Windsor). How's this look:
2.5 lbs Vienna mashed at 1.25 qt/lb at 162f 45 minutes, sparged with 180f water at 1.5 qt/lb and boiled with 1 gallon of water for 30 minutes.
Add 1lb malto dextrin and 1 lb dark brown sugar at 15 minutes.
Add 1/8 tsp ground cinamon at flame out.
Topped off to 5 gallons with 2 gallons chilled apple juice and a variable amount of chilled water.
pitch Windsor

+Quote Post
grafxdesin
post Sep 28 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,880

I havn't done it but have heard good results from apple jolly ranchers. They give a really good apple flavor and smell! I was thinking about trying them soon myself!

+Quote Post
friedlbug
post Sep 28 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Brewer

QUOTE(grafxdesin @ Sep 28 2007, 01:42 PM) *
I havn't done it but have heard good results from apple jolly ranchers. They give a really good apple flavor and smell! I was thinking about trying them soon myself!

I'm not sure were I stand on "artificial flavors". On one hand, adding them is not part of the natural process. On the other hand, except for the cleanest lagers, we intentionally favor the production of esters by yeast that are exactly the same as some artificial flavors. Additionally, everything we add in beer is processed in some way (down to the water). Heck, I already have malto dextrin in this recipe. I guess it depends on how close you think Jolly Rancher cider is to the stuff that they filter any taste out of, flavor with syrup, and sell as Mike's Hard Apple.

+Quote Post
chief
post Oct 1 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #8

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 663

I have been working on an Apple Beer also. First attempt included apple juice, cider and some apples. It didn't give me what I wanted at all as it became extremely dry (seemed more like cider than beer).

The ultimate apple beer to me was New Glarus' and that is our target. We did a tour of New Glarus years ago and they told us they don't make it anymore (save special occasions) because it was far too expensive given all of the apples they used. So we decided to eliminate the use of cider and juice and just go with apples in the 2nd shot at this. We just did a batch with 6 lbs of apples for a 5 gallon batch and the apple flavor isn't there enough, but it is definitely a beer and not a cider. But, like you, I will continue to work on this and hopefully get something comparable to NG in the future.

+Quote Post
Soup
post Oct 3 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #9

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 7,389

Why not include some honey malt to give you the sweetness that you are looking for?

+Quote Post
mikeh
post Oct 4 2007, 08:14 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 9,088

QUOTE(Soup @ Oct 3 2007, 04:56 PM) *
Why not include some honey malt to give you the sweetness that you are looking for?

If the main focus is the apple flavor, using apple juice, cider, etc. is throwing a lot of variables into the mix. I'd probably use extract. I know its "artificial" in a sense, but its a lot more predictable. I've always been a big fan of Floris Apple.

Really, it may be too simple an idea but I'd go 50/50 2-row/red wheat: maybe 10lbs total w/ one bittering hop addition at 60mins. Just add the extract to taste in secondary. I'd use a fairly clean yeast like WP 001 or the Wyeast equivelant.

To bring up residual sweetness you might consider lactose.??

This post has been edited by mikeh: Oct 4 2007, 08:15 AM

+Quote Post
LStaff
post Oct 4 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #11

Brewer

Member No.: 9,790

I keep fantasizing about making an apple ale - beer first, apple will just be secondary characteristic - kind of similar to Unibroue Ephemere but with chico yeast.

I'm thinking I would start with something like this:

6lbs pils
2 lbs 20L crystal (maybe more?)
1 lb. Carapils

Mash at around 160F and add just enough bittering hops to get to about 20 ibus and a couple ounces of ekg (gives some apple aroma imo) at the end of the boil.

make a 4.5 gallon batch of beer from the above malts and add a gallon of juice or cider to primary.

Then adjust the ratios of crystal/carapils to apple juice/cider on the next batch to get the right balance of apple flavor and sweetness.

This post has been edited by LStaff: Oct 4 2007, 01:54 PM

+Quote Post
mikeh
post Oct 4 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 9,088

QUOTE(LStaff @ Oct 4 2007, 02:51 PM) *
I keep fantasizing about making an apple ale - beer first, apple will just be secondary characteristic - kind of similar to Unibroue Ephemere but with chico yeast.

I'm thinking I would start with something like this:

6lbs pils
2 lbs 20L crystal (maybe more?)
1 lb. Carapils

Mash at around 160F and add just enough bittering hops to get to about 20 ibus and a couple ounces of ekg (gives some apple aroma imo) at the end of the boil.

make a 4.5 gallon batch of beer from the above malts and add a gallon of juice or cider to primary.

Then adjust the ratios of crystal/carapils to apple juice/cider on the next batch to get the right balance of apple flavor and sweetness.

Maybe apple juice/cider work differently, I've never tried them in brewing. I always thought they were similar to honey, in that if you add them to primary and even somewhat in secondary, you loose a lot of the flavor. I've had good look priming with honey and retaining to flavor, but I would think apple juice would be a hard one to judge sugar content on to get the right amount of carbonation (if you tried priming with it). I've had some success in using rasberries in secondary, but that was in for a month at the end of a very long secondary of a lambic.

I wonder how much apple flavor dried apples would give to a brew if you put them in secondary? If you were able to get them unsulfited..

+Quote Post
greentwade
post Oct 8 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 10,197

Has there been any thought of using apple sauce? I've never tried it, but it sounds feasible.

+Quote Post
Brewtality
post Nov 20 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,010

How about pitching a can of apple jiuce concetrate into the beer right before bottling. That would provide you sugar for bottle conditioning and fresh apple flavor.

+Quote Post
chuck_d
post Nov 27 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #15

Brewmaster
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 2,141

QUOTE(Brewtality @ Nov 20 2011, 10:29 PM) *
How about pitching a can of apple jiuce concetrate into the beer right before bottling. That would provide you sugar for bottle conditioning and fresh apple flavor.

4 year old thread bump, but I wanted to reply to say if you decide to try this make sure you measure the amount of sugar you are adding... bottle bombs suck!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 12:25 PM