Guests cannot vote 
just-cj
post Aug 28 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,655

Hop of the Week -- Simcoe

After a month off for my trip to the States, HOTW returns this week. By request of al_bob, we take a look at a high-alpha hop that is also be used for flavor and aroma -- Simcoe. Here's what Hop Union and Yakima Chief have to say:
US SIMCOE™
Pedigree: Released in 2000. Simcoe® is a bittering/Aroma type cultivar bred by Yakima Chief Ranches.
Maturity: Medium
Cone-Structure: Medium-size
Lupulin: Bright yellow
Aroma: Very unique, pine-like aroma
Alpha Acids: 12 – 14% w/w
Beta Acids: 4 – 5% w/w
Co-Humulone: 15 – 20% of alpha acids
Storageability: Good
Total Oil: 2 – 2.5 mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 60 -65% of whole oil
Humulene: 10 – 15% of whole oil
Caryophyllene: 5 – 8% of whole oil
Farnesene: <1% of whole oil
General Trade Perception: Used for aromatic, and especially bittering properties due to its low cohumulone content properties.
Possible Substitutions: Unknown
Typical Beer Styles: American Ales
Additional Information: Known as a bittering hop with good aroma characteristics

Experiences, opinions, recipes, growing tips, or whatever please!

As always, thanks for continuing to support our HOTW discussions -- and if you have any suggestions for future hop discussions, PM me.

Previous HOTW: Challenger / Columbus / Crystal / East Kent Golding / Glacier / Liberty / Magnum / Newport / Perle / Spalt / Tettnanger / Tomahawk / Warrior / Willamette

Future HOTW: Future HOTW: Cascade, Sterling, Amarillo, Northern Brewer

This post has been edited by just-cj: Aug 28 2006, 01:02 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ahunt
post Aug 28 2006, 05:05 AM
Post #2

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 100

If you'd ever like to expereince this hop without brewing a batch, try to get a bottle of Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA. It may get you hooked. Definitely an American hop, though. Pine, orange, and maybe even a bit of tropical fruit like pineapple are in the aroma IMO. Still lets a strong malt bill come through though. I'll be experimenting more with this hop this winter once I get my next hop order. Maybe I'll replace the Cascades in a JPA! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Airbus Driver
post Aug 28 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #3

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 4,525

I used simco when I brewed my DFH 90 min. clone. The results were great!

+Quote Post
Big Harry Deehl
post Aug 28 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 284

I think Simcoe is a very nice hop. There are alot like Amarillo. Don't cha think?

+Quote Post
pods8
post Aug 28 2006, 09:01 AM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,518

QUOTE(ahunt @ Aug 28 2006, 05:05 AM) *
If you'd ever like to expereince this hop without brewing a batch, try to get a bottle of Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA. It may get you hooked. Definitely an American hop, though. Pine, orange, and maybe even a bit of tropical fruit like pineapple are in the aroma IMO. Still lets a strong malt bill come through though. I'll be experimenting more with this hop this winter once I get my next hop order. Maybe I'll replace the Cascades in a JPA! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

For sure.

I love this hop, I use it in a variety of IPAs. I will definately be restocking my freezer with these bad boys. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
jayflap
post Aug 28 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,547

I have a half pound of them in my fridge, I need to get brewing. I think I will brew for certain next weekend. Probably do the Stone IPA kit I bought from Austin Homebrew (I really wanted that recipe (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif) ) and then maybe on Monday do my IPA that I designed with Simcoe and Amarillo. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

J

+Quote Post
consumes
post Aug 28 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #7

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,329

plan on brewing a honey pale with all simcoe this coming saturday ..

+Quote Post
phalanxausage
post Aug 28 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #8

Brewmaster

Member No.: 197

I've got some in the freezer. Weyerbacher's Simcoe Double IPA helped get me hooked, as have all the awesome homebrews I've tasted with them. I can't wait to make somethig with the ones in my freezer. The recipe isn't quite done yet. I'm thinking I'll use some amarillo & maybe a touch of chinook to give it some teeth.

+Quote Post
drewseslu
post Aug 28 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,736

Its a fantastic hop and I loved with that wheat heavy grainbill IPA-ish brew I used 'em in.

+Quote Post
sonofdon
post Aug 28 2006, 02:42 PM
Post #10

Brewer

Member No.: 3,745

I just used some this weekend in my IPA. The aroma was very simlar to Amarillo, but thats just from the package. I plan on dry hopping with more in a week or so. Any idea of how much to use? O.G. was 1.060 and IBUs were near 40.

sonofDon

+Quote Post
LA Brewer
post Aug 28 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #11

Brewer

Member No.: 2,941

I really like the flavor & aroma of Simcoe. To me it's like the next logical flavor progression for American hops. This hop is on the shopping list next time i stock up. I think the Millenium IPA at Willamantic brewery in CT really got me hooked, just couldn't get enough of it.

+Quote Post
al_bob
post Aug 28 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #12

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,588

Although now I'm not so sure, a couple of weeks ago the sales rep. for Sweetwater Brewing in Atlanta told me they switched to 100% Simcoe, in their IPA, back in April. He asked if I had noticed. I told him I shot off an email to the brewery the week they changed because I noticed and loved it.

I never got a response, but he told me 100% Simcoe. Another rep. this weekend told me he thought it still had EKG too, but wasn't sure. I'm gonna email the head brewer to find out.

If that taste is Simcoe, then I'm really hooked. The flavor is addicting. I can't wait to try them in a brew.

He told me they brought someone in from New Belgium Brewing to help out. They have never won awards with their IPA, and wanted to get to that level. I love 'em.

Anyone else use them as 100% or know of a beer that does?

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Aug 28 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #13

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,655

QUOTE(sonofdon @ Aug 29 2006, 04:42 AM) *
I just used some this weekend in my IPA. The aroma was very simlar to Amarillo, but thats just from the package. I plan on dry hopping with more in a week or so. Any idea of how much to use? O.G. was 1.060 and IBUs were near 40.
I dry hopped a Pliny clone with a mixture of Simcoe and other hops, and it turned out great. I added dry hops every week for five weeks, so the total dry hop time was 5 weeks. If you really want a burst of aroma, try something like that. You don't have to wait five weeks, but add half an ounce every three or four days for a few weeks and you'll have a WOW beer on your hands!

+Quote Post
Sirhc
post Aug 28 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #14

Homebrewer

Member No.: 1,468

Made an all Simcoe PA and it was great. Like someone mentioned it definitely has that orange/tropical smell and taste. I think Simcoe would pair perfectly with Centennial or Cascade. For a perfect example of the aroma grab a bottle of Stone’s 10 Anniversary. I believe they dry-hopped it with all Simcoe, if not all Simcoe they used a lot of it. Simcoe = GOOD!

+Quote Post
al_bob
post Aug 28 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #15

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,588

Wow. Not a bad word.... It's on my next shopping list.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2020 - 01:51 AM