> Group Brew: Hefty Braggot - Fall 2006, Brew Date: Weekend of September 23rd
BrewDude
post Sep 1 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #16

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 104

QUOTE(psolio @ Sep 1 2006, 11:13 AM) *
What I meant was, are you going to post a process guide and a more detailed explaination of the extract version?

I'm guessing the process will be very beer like, and taking what we know of mead, will probably run something like this (for extract):

Bring water to boil
Add extract, return to boil
Add hops at intervals described in the recipe
Take off heat after the hour is up, add honey and energizer/nutrient (according to method you use) and stir to disolve (do not boil honey)
Cool to pitching temperature, add to fermenter and aerate
Prepare yeast, pitch, stir and/or shake to disperse, afix airlock/blowoff tube

That's my guess....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt the Mead Ma...
post Sep 1 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #17

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,119

You pretty much nailed it, BrewDude. The only change I'd make would be to do a late addition on the extract in order to keep the color profile a little lighter. I'll include that process in the recipe. Thanks for the idea, psolio.

+Quote Post
mike911
post Sep 2 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #18

Brewer

Member No.: 5,291

Matt,
for the late addition, do you go according to OldFart's method, 20% of extract added at the beginning of the boil, and the remainder at flameout? I've never used late addition, being new to beer, so I don't even know all the debate about it.

+Quote Post
Matt the Mead Ma...
post Sep 2 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #19

Brewmaster

QUOTE(mike911 @ Sep 2 2006, 08:33 PM) *
for the late addition, do you go according to OldFart's method, 20% of extract added at the beginning of the boil, and the remainder at flameout?

Yes - that's the technique I used during my extract days as well. I'll get something formal put in the group brew directions early next week. I'm away from home and on dial up right now, so posting just about anything is a pain.

FWIW, I don't even bother boiling the extract for the ABC since there aren't any hops involved.

+Quote Post
Japhmi
post Sep 5 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #20

Brewmaster

Member No.: 999

QUOTE(mike911 @ Sep 2 2006, 08:33 PM) *
Matt,
for the late addition, do you go according to OldFart's method, 20% of extract added at the beginning of the boil, and the remainder at flameout? I've never used late addition, being new to beer, so I don't even know all the debate about it.

As a note, as an extract brewer, the 20% (19.2 oz) doesn't have to be measured out. Just dump 'some' in. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
mike911
post Sep 6 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #21

Brewer

Member No.: 5,291

All right, the last of the goodies arrived in the mail today. Have we decided for sure what our brew dates are? Any reading I should bone up on before then (other the The Compleat Meadmaker of course)? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/coffee.gif)

+Quote Post
Matt the Mead Ma...
post Sep 6 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #22

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Japhmi @ Sep 5 2006, 12:05 PM) *
As a note, as an extract brewer, the 20% (19.2 oz) doesn't have to be measured out. Just dump 'some' in. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

You are correct indeed. The main thing is we need some malt for the alpha acids from the hops to bind to.

QUOTE(mike911 @ Sep 6 2006, 09:21 PM) *
Have we decided for sure what our brew dates are?

The weekend of September 23rd. I'll probably be doing it on Sunday the 24th. Maybe Saturday, depending on baby coverage.

QUOTE(mike911 @ Sep 6 2006, 09:21 PM) *
Any reading I should bone up on before then (other the The Compleat Meadmaker of course)? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/coffee.gif)

Not that I can think of. It should be pretty simple.

AG Brewers Please Note:
I ran the recipe through Promash. This recipe appears to assume 73% efficiency in order to hit 1.120. Please make sure to adjust the amount of base malt relative to the efficiency of your brewery.

Extract Brewers Please Note:
Again, using ProMash, you'll have to use 8 lbs of LME if you go the liquid extract route in order to hit 1.120. Otherwise, 6 lbs DME works fine.

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 7 2006, 08:53 AM
Post #23

Brewer

Just for giggles, I put these recipes (AG and Extract) into Promash. I might be doing something wrong, and the Promash doesn't have an entry for Dextrin malt, but it looks like for both recipes, the OG is going to be above 1.130, which is higher than the 1.120 that's indicated. Can someone confirm this?

+Quote Post
Marmot
post Sep 7 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #24

Brewer

Member No.: 1,195

QUOTE(Matt the Mead Maker @ Sep 6 2006, 09:51 PM) *
AG Brewers Please Note:
I ran the recipe through Promash. This recipe appears to assume 73% efficiency in order to hit 1.120. Please make sure to adjust the amount of base malt relative to the efficiency of your brewery.

Any chance you could post/host a .rec file from Promash for us to download. Yes, I am that lazy...

Marmot

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 7 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #25

Brewer

QUOTE(Matt the Mead Maker @ Sep 6 2006, 06:51 PM) *
Extract Brewers Please Note:
Again, using ProMash, you'll have to use 8 lbs of LME if you go the liquid extract route in order to hit 1.120. Otherwise, 6 lbs DME works fine.

Doh, I missed this. However, I'm having trouble getting the gravity down to 1.120. Here's what I've put in:

DME - Amber, Pot SG 1.046, 6 lbs, 40%
Honey, Pot SG 1.042, 9 lbs, 60%

With the 5 gallon batch selected, I get an OG of 1.131. If I change the batch size to 5.5 gallons, I get an OG of 1.119. Am I doing something wrong?

+Quote Post
Matt the Mead Ma...
post Sep 7 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #26

Brewmaster

QUOTE(BrewDude @ Sep 7 2006, 10:39 AM) *
With the 5 gallon batch selected, I get an OG of 1.131. If I change the batch size to 5.5 gallons, I get an OG of 1.119. Am I doing something wrong?

Hmm... I don't have ProMash on this computer but I do have QBrew and it came in at 1.120. I'll confess to having used ProMash after a thorough sampling of the Falls Bounty Cyser, so hopefully, someone will double-check my calculations using ProMash.

It's also worth noting that several recipes in the Compleat Mead Maker have incorrect OG's. When in doubt, I'd go with the recipe and not worry about the target OG in the book.

For ProMash/Qbrew/etc. you can substitute carapils for dextrin.

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 7 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #27

Brewer

QUOTE(Matt the Mead Maker @ Sep 7 2006, 07:53 AM) *
It's also worth noting that several recipes in the Compleat Mead Maker have incorrect OG's. When in doubt, I'd go with the recipe and not worry about the target OG in the book.

I'm completely okay with that. I'd rather stick with the recipe and have a consistant recipe for all of us than have to try to play with it to get the "published" OG.

QUOTE(Matt the Mead Maker @ Sep 7 2006, 07:53 AM) *
Hmm... I don't have ProMash on this computer but I do have QBrew and it came in at 1.120. I'll confess to having used ProMash after a thorough sampling of the Falls Bounty Cyser, so hopefully, someone will double-check my calculations using ProMash.

I pulled down QBrew and put in the Extract recipe. It came out to 1.117. I noticed QBrew used a lower OG for honey and a slightly lower OG values for the extract than ProMash does, which would account for the difference in recipe OG.

Vewy Intewesting...

This post has been edited by BrewDude: Sep 7 2006, 11:05 AM

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 7 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #28

Brewer

I've been reviewing steps for making beer in preparation for this brew (can you tell?). Thinking about the two recipes, it ocurred to me that in order to more acurately approximate the all-grain recipe, we extract brewers might ought to steep the Vienna and Dextrin grains. Thoughts?

+Quote Post
PatrickN
post Sep 7 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #29

Homebrewer

Member No.: 1,399

I'm doing extract also and was thinking of steeping some of the Vienna, but the Dextrin malt has to be mashed. I suppose to get the same effect you could add malto-dextrin.

Edit: It actually looks like Vienna needs to be mashed too according to John Palmer's How to Brew:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html

This post has been edited by PatrickN: Sep 7 2006, 07:17 PM

+Quote Post
Bigtoe68
post Sep 7 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #30

Brewer

Member No.: 4,682

I a honey virgin (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/blush.gif) , about how much liquid are we looking at prior to adding honey. 4 gals?

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th November 2018 - 11:42 AM