> Group Brew: Hefty Braggot - Fall 2006, Brew Date: Weekend of September 23rd
Matt the Mead Ma...
post May 3 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #241

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,119

QUOTE(mike911 @ May 3 2007, 02:34 PM) *
Actually, I did use DME when I made the starter initially, but was wondering if it needed any more sugars along the way....

I guess it depends on whether or not there are residual fermentable sugars still in the must. If there are, there's no need for the honey. If not, it wouldn't hurt to keep the yeast fed with honey until bottling time. If I were you, I'd wait a few days between must additions to the starter. Give the yeast time to acclimate to the must and potentially restart fermentation. I'd also recommend using an airlock instead of something like aluminum foil so that you can monitor outgassing due to fermentation a little easier.

QUOTE(mike911 @ May 3 2007, 02:34 PM) *
You think 1 packet of yeast would be sufficient? I'd like this to not have a whole lot of sediment if I can help it.

Two packets is the standard. It's only about a buck a packet, so I'd go with the higher cell count.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mike911
post May 3 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #242

Brewer

Member No.: 5,291

BTW, Matt, how is yours? Do you have any left?

+Quote Post
Matt the Mead Ma...
post May 4 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #243

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,119

QUOTE(mike911 @ May 3 2007, 11:42 PM) *
BTW, Matt, how is yours? Do you have any left?

Yeah, I've still got most of the keg's worth. It's pretty good and it continues to improve with time but it won't be one of my house brews. I didn't try adding K1 to lower the gravity a bit more and perhaps I should have. It's on the heavy side with being fairly sweet. Off the top of my head, I think my FG was around 1.028? I'm too lazy to look.

I like it and it's interesting but it's more of a starting point for future experimentation than it is a new favorite. My next braggot will probably be more in the direction of Belgian triple. Now, all I need is the time to make it. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
sconnie
post May 7 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #244

Homebrewer

Member No.: 6,247

I think i'm going to bottle this baby up pretty soon as well and carbonate it in a similar fassion to what you're talking about Mike. How long are you building up a starter before bottling? With the KV1, how are you going to make sure there's no bottle bombs?

+Quote Post
mike911
post May 7 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #245

Brewer

I already pitched K1V into this when I thought it was a stuck fermentation, so I don't think I'll have any surprises there. Anyway, I looked over my notes, and when I did the mini-mash(my first ever), I mashed the Carapils and Vienna at about 165F, so I'm pretty sure that it's all unfermentables now. I expect my new stuff to arrive tomorrow, so I'm going to start a new starter then. My plan is to kick it off, feed it more honey(a tsp) and must(a coupla ounces) per day, and bottle this on Sunday. If anyone sees any glaring problems with this, please tell me. Like I said before, I didn't age this for six months just to screw it up now! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
mike911
post May 8 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #246

Brewer

The supplies have arrived, and the yeasties are munching on some malt extract as I type. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif) I'll try to remember to get a gravity on the braggot tomorrow night when I add some to the starter.... The last one I took was 1.024 a few months ago.

+Quote Post
mike911
post May 9 2007, 06:36 PM
Post #247

Brewer

The gravity as it sits now is 1.022. It is a really nice copper color, and has dropped as clear as anything I've seen. The flavor is totally new to me so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it's nice like it is, even if I weren't trying to carbonate it. I'm going to like this.

+Quote Post
mike911
post May 14 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #248

Brewer

I finally got it bottled! Last night the wife and I bottled it up and ended up with 9 six packs of a really nice looking product. I think I may have a good bit of sediment in the bottles, but I think the K1V should floc and pack down fairly well. Tell me what you think....

(IMG:http://www.gerbrandt.com/matthew/images/homebrew/mike911/DSCN0782.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.gerbrandt.com/matthew/images/homebrew/mike911/DSCN0783.JPG)

+Quote Post
mike911
post May 21 2007, 06:51 PM
Post #249

Brewer

I tried this out last night, probably a little early, but my impatience got the best of me. The carbonation was light, like an English brown ale, maybe from not giving it much time to condition. The nose has a "winey" smell to it, not unexpectedly given the yeast used and the amount of honey used as opposed to malt. The alcohol is a bit forward and I may have detected a small amount of oxidation to it. On the flavor, it came across a little sweet, from the residual sugars and the honey flavor really came out. The hops work more as an accent flavor and not as a flavor on their own. The hop bitterness doesn't come across, but the alcohol balances the sweetness for the most part. Overall I like it and hope I can make it last. I gave a friend a taste, who doesn't like beer of any kind, and she was impressed even knowing what I was giving her. Surprised me! This batch is definitely a keeper! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
mike911
post Nov 6 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #250

Brewer

Anyone out there interested in doing a pass on these?

+Quote Post
BobH
post Jul 7 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #251

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,106

I had a bottle last month and the Hefty has changed a lot. The hot alcohol and IPA level of hop aroma is gone. It is very complex, only a faint sweetness. It has a wonderful light citrus aroma that is mingled in with honey and malt. The carbonation brings the aromas out with every sip and the alcohol isn't noticed until it warms you from inside. Wish I had made a bigger batch or sampled less earlier on.

Anyone have any of this left? How did it turn out?

Bob

+Quote Post
mike911
post Jul 10 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #252

Brewer

I think I only have around 6 or 8 bottles left of this one. As you can tell, I really like it. I am trying to hold on to it as long as I can, but it's hard to do whenever I remember I have it. Mine seems to have (the last time I had one, 3-4 months ago) a good bit of floral from the hops and not too terribly sweet on the finish. Goes really well with just about anything!

+Quote Post
BobH
post Dec 31 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #253

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,106

Having one of the few bottles left from this batch right now.
It has changed. If you go back to my earliest post when I drank a few green it was almost IPA like.
Now all of the hop aroma and flavor is gone. What is left is only honey. I can taste the wax or comb in it. The smell is like a package of honey comb. Simply amazing. Just slightly sweet with a low carbonation. The malt has only left only a hint of what tastes like caramel.

Bob

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 15 16 17
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th November 2018 - 11:49 AM