> Group Brew: Hefty Braggot - Fall 2006, Brew Date: Weekend of September 23rd
BrewDude
post Sep 7 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #31

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Bigtoe68 @ Sep 7 2006, 05:29 PM) *
I a honey virgin (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/blush.gif) , about how much liquid are we looking at prior to adding honey. 4 gals?

ROUGHLY, 12 lbs of honey = 1 gallon. So, 9 lbs of honey is 3 quarts. Leaving out the extract, you would need to add 4 gallons 1 quart to get to 5 gallons.

This post has been edited by BrewDude: Sep 7 2006, 08:37 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt the Mead Ma...
post Sep 7 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #32

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,119

QUOTE(Bigtoe68 @ Sep 7 2006, 08:29 PM) *
I a honey virgin (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/blush.gif) , about how much liquid are we looking at prior to adding honey. 4 gals?

For AG'ers, it depends on how much volume of water you've got after mashing, sparging, and boiling. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif) For extract brewers do a partial boil with a final volume of 4.25 gallons.

Honey runs 12 lbs per gallon. So 9 pounds will be 0.75 gallons.

EDIT: BrewDude beat me to it!

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 8 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #33

Brewer

Alrighty, after a quick dip into the beer forum, I'm floating the idea of doing a mini-mash with the Dextrin and Vienna malts. However, this will add fermentibles to the must, so the Extract would have to be reduced to keep the OG about the same as the all extract recipe.

Using QBrew, this is what I get:

6 lbs Amber DME
9 lbs Honey
OG 1.117

6 lbs Amber DME
2 lbs American Vienna (mini-mashed)
1 lbs CaraPils (mini-mashed)
9 lbs Honey
OG 1.132

4.25 lbs Amber DME
9 lbs Honey
OG 1.117

Interestingly enough, if I put in the AG recipe, this is what I get:

8 lbs American two-row
2 lbs American Vienna
1 lbs CaraPils
9 lbs Honey
OG 1.123

So if I really wanted to approximate the AG batch, I might want to do:

5 lbs Amber DME
9 lbs Honey
OG 1.123

I may just do this as a personal stepping stone into AG brewing. I'm also seriously considering doing a full boil on this for the same reason.

EDIT: I had to adjust the numbers because my first calculations had me steeping the grains instead of mashing, then added comparison to AG recipe.

EDIT2: My superfood arrived today.

This post has been edited by BrewDude: Sep 8 2006, 12:35 PM

+Quote Post
Matt the Mead Ma...
post Sep 8 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #34

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,119

BrewDude - I'm glad to hear you're considering the mini-mash! Looking at your recipe, it was unclear what % efficiency you were expecting. For a first time mini-mash, you may want to calculate your efficiency as low as 50%, imho. That will impact the amound of DME you'll need.

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 8 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #35

Brewer

QUOTE(Matt the Mead Maker @ Sep 8 2006, 09:47 AM) *
BrewDude - I'm glad to hear you're considering the mini-mash! Looking at your recipe, it was unclear what % efficiency you were expecting. For a first time mini-mash, you may want to calculate your efficiency as low as 50%, imho. That will impact the amound of DME you'll need.

Assuming Mash Efficiency of 50% for the minimash, I come up with this:

5.5 lbs Amber DME
9 lbs Honey
OG 1.123

+Quote Post
PatrickN
post Sep 8 2006, 01:48 PM
Post #36

Homebrewer

Member No.: 1,399

The mini-mash is a good idea. I like to do mini-mashes when possible. Unfortunately I don't have ProMash or the equivalent, so I usually have to follow recipes in books like CloneBrews. BrewDude, if it is cool with you, maybe I'll use your grain bill and cut my DME by half a pound as you are doing.

Anyway, count me in on the mini-mash. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 8 2006, 01:49 PM
Post #37

Brewer

QUOTE(PatrickN @ Sep 8 2006, 10:48 AM) *
The mini-mash is a good idea. I like to do mini-mashes when possible. Unfortunately I don't have ProMash or the equivalent, so I usually have to follow recipes in books like CloneBrews. BrewDude, if it is cool with you, maybe I'll use your grain bill and cut my DME by half a pound as you are doing.

Anyway, count me in on the mini-mash. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

You don't need my permission. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif) Glad to have someone else doing this besides me!

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 9 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #38

Brewer

While I'm making things more complicated...

Bigtoe's post got me thinking. If I'm going to do a full boil on this, and we're shooting for a 5 gallon batch, AND we're adding 9 lbs of honey to this after boil, I need to shoot for approximately 4.25 gallons post-boil, right? What should I be shooting for in pre-boil capacity to reach 4.25 gallons? 5.25? 5.75?

EDIT: On second thought, since I'm going the extract route, I could just boil 5 gallons, even if I'm going to end up with less than 4.25 gallons, I can just add water to get back to 5 gallons after I add the honey.

I've been reading too much on AG brewing, methinks...

This post has been edited by BrewDude: Sep 9 2006, 10:27 AM

+Quote Post
psolio
post Sep 9 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #39

Brewer

Member No.: 2,594

I found the best honey for this today. It is a local honey - a mesquite honey. It has almost a malt aroma and taste to it - it might lend well to this - any thoughts?

Now I just need to dig out my supplies from storage.. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 9 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #40

Brewer

QUOTE(psolio @ Sep 9 2006, 01:47 PM) *
I found the best honey for this today. It is a local honey - a mesquite honey. It has almost a malt aroma and taste to it - it might lend well to this - any thoughts?

Now I just need to dig out my supplies from storage.. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/dry.gif)

Sound very interesting. I wonder how one would ship a bottle of this... hrm...

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 9 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #41

Brewer

Here is the procedure I came up with for the partial mash/full boil version of this brew:

Ingredient List:

5.5 lbs Amber DME
2 lbs American Vienna
1 lbs CaraPils
3 oz. Cascade hops, 60 min
1 oz. Cascade hops, 30 min
1 oz. Cascade hops, 2 min
9 lbs Honey
10 g Lalvin D-47 yeast, rehydrated

Procedure:

Begin by Partial Mashing the Vienna and CaraPils malts. I will be mashing using 1 gallon of water. Preheat oven to 200F. Bring the water to 168F and turn off heat. Add grains and stir. Temperature should be ~153F. Once this is achieved, place pot into oven, close door, turn off heat and let sit for 45-60 minutes.

Heat sparge water before mashing is complete to 170F. I'll be using 4.5 quarts of water (just over a gallon). At this point, if you want to first wort hop your beer, add your 60 minute bittering hops to the brew pot at this time. When mash and sparge water are ready, put a colander in your brew pot and carefully pour the mash through into the pot. Replace grain into original pot and add sparge water. Let sit for 10 minutes then pour through the colander again into the brew pot. Discard grains.

Add water to pot up to 5 gallons and bring to a boil. Take off heat, stir in extract and return to boil. Add hops according to the schedule. Once the boil is complete, turn off heat and add honey, yeast nutrient and energizer, stirring until well combined. Cool to pitching temperature, add to fermenter, add water to 5 gallons if necessary, aerate and pitch rehydrated yeast.

OG 1.123
FG 1.021

Did I miss anything? Anything need adjusting?

+Quote Post
sherlock holmboy
post Sep 9 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #42

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,256

any thoughts on a mash temp for us single infusion batch spargers? 150? Lower?

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 9 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #43

Brewer

QUOTE(sherlock holmboy @ Sep 9 2006, 03:17 PM) *
any thoughts on a mash temp for us single infusion batch spargers? 150? Lower?

The above prcedure IS a single mash and a single batch sparge. If you're talking AG, Matt might have suggestions.

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 10 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #44

Brewer

After re-reading the partial mash FAQ, I'm considering purchasing a mini-color to do the infusion mash instead of heating it in a pot and putting it into the oven. Now, I wouldn't be modifying the cooler in any way, just pouring it out through the strainer into the brewpot just like the pot version does. I've been reading about hot-side aeration and thought it might be a problem with this method, but I really don't think it would be any worse than pouring from a brewpot, would it? Also, since we're only talking about a partial mash (2 gallons) and only SOME of the grain, I wouldn't think this would be as much of a problem as it would be in a full mash.

Thoughts? Opinions?

+Quote Post
mike911
post Sep 10 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #45

Brewer

Member No.: 5,291

Mashing is brand new to me so I'll probably just go with the pot/oven/colander method on the FAQs. Seemed pretty straightforward for a beginner and I have all the equipment for it. BTW, Brewdude, what did you mean by "wort hop your beer"? Is this just adding hops prior to bringing the wort to a boil? If so, what's the advantage/difference?

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 08:26 AM