IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Group Brew: Cruz's Apple Butter Cyser - Fall 2006, Brew date: Weekend of October 14, 2006
Matt the Mead Ma...
post Sep 7 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,119

Brewing Method: Sparkling Cyser
Yeast: Wyeast #3347
Yeast Starter: One liter
Batch Size: ~7 US Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.170+
Final Gravity: 1.008
Alcohol Content: 18-21%
Total Amount of Honey: 10 pounds
Color: Varies
Yeast Nutrient-Amount: 3 teaspsoons Di-ammonium Phosphate
Yeast Energizer-Amount:
Primary Fermentation: 2 months @ 68 deg F.
Secondary Fermentation: 4 months @ 68 deg F.
Additional Fermentation: Bottle condition as long as needed

Honey Bill:
10 pounds of buckwheat or orange blossom honey (the choice is yours!)

Other Flavorings or Fermentables:
5 gallons unpasteurized apple juice(although pasteurized will work)
2 pounds dark DME added to boil pot with one gallon of apple juice
5 pounds muscovado sugar(liquified in pot with the DME)
6-12 cloves(added to primary)
12-20 pieces of Cassia bark or cinnamon sticks(added to primary and at bottling)
1-2 pounds of your favorite apple butter(liquified in pot with DME)
2 pounds of white raisins(added to secondary and at bottling)
1/2 teaspoon of fresh nutmeg(optional, added to secondary)
serrano peppers (very optional)

Cruz's Notes:
Make a one liter starter of #3347 starting two days in advance. Unpasteurized apple juice is the call by the "pros", but I have found any juice, even concentrate will work nicely.

Place one gallon of apple juice in a large pot and heat slowly, adding the apple butter, sugar, DME and honey. You be the judge, but you may need to add a little more juice to liquify all the ingredients. Stir frequently. I do not boil my honey, as I feel that this detracts from the flavor and yeast nutrients. When the mixture is completely mixed add to primary with remaining apple juice, cassia bark and cloves. Care must be taken not to add too many cloves, as many commercial brands of apple butter have a very high clove content. This can lead to an overpowering taste. When the temp is correct, pitch the one liter #3347 yeast starter. I suggest using a blow off tube at this point, because this yeast can make for some powerful ferments. Affix air lock and wait two months. If during this time the ferment quits, which is rare, add some ghost yeast (yeast hulls) to the primary.

Rack to secondary and toss in the two pounds of white raisins and the nutmeg if you like it. Let sit at approx. 68 deg F for an additional 3 to 4 months. If the alcohol content isnt too high, you may see some additional fermentation from the natural yeasts contained in the white raisins. Not to worry its not sick!!! Prime with one and a quarter cups of Lyles golden syrup. I add five or six additional fresh white raisins and a small piece of cassia bark to the bottle. It not only looks good, but the yeast contained in the raisins makes a nice bottling yeast. For something completely different, and if you are gutsy, try a hot serrano in a bottle or two also. The pepper and apple combo is fantastic. Condition as long as you like. Enjoy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marmot
post Sep 8 2006, 08:10 AM
Post #2

Brewer

Member No.: 1,195

Am I correct in assuming that either apple cider or apple juice is acceptable for this recipe?

Marmot

+Quote Post
mike911
post Sep 8 2006, 08:30 AM
Post #3

Brewer

Member No.: 5,291

The local grocery had Parade brand apple cider and juice on sale for $1.59/half gallon when I bought mine last week. The only difference I could find was the label. It had the exact same ingredients(water and apple juice concentrate), exact same sugar content, exact same color. I think its simply just a seasonal difference(at least with this brand) with more people associating cider with winter.

Mike

+Quote Post
Matt the Mead Ma...
post Sep 8 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #4

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Marmot @ Sep 8 2006, 08:10 AM) *
Am I correct in assuming that either apple cider or apple juice is acceptable for this recipe?

Definitely. This cyser has a ton of flavor - certainly enough to mask the subtle differences between cider and juice. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Hokieborn
post Sep 8 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 5,845

Question about juice / cider -

I was at Costco getting some honey, and I looked at the apple juice they had (3.00 a gallon). The juice was whitehouse "fresh pressed." It says 100% juice, not from concentrate....blah, blah, blah...but in the ingredients list it had calcium lactate and absorbic acid. I know the acid is to preserve the color, but I don't know what the calcium lactate is. Anyone know:

a. what is calcium lactate?
b. will this work for the ABC?

+Quote Post
Matt the Mead Ma...
post Sep 8 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #6

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Hokieborn @ Sep 8 2006, 08:51 PM) *
a. what is calcium lactate?

Calcium Lactate

QUOTE(Hokieborn @ Sep 8 2006, 08:51 PM) *
b. will this work for the ABC?

I don't see how it would pose a problem. Seems like the worst case scenario is that is raises the pH very slightly, which wouldn't be all that bad considering the low pH of honey.

I know that some folks have had problems with apple juice additives in the past but I can't say I'm one of them. The last time I made the ABC, I used 4 gallons of cider that contained sorbates and still managed to hit 18-19% ABV without doing a staggered nutrient addition. I made at least 2 other batches of cyser with that same brand of cider and didn't have a problem with those batches, either. I guess it's one of those YMMV situations.

+Quote Post
mike911
post Sep 11 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #7

Brewer

With such a high Original Gravity on this, has anyone had problems with a stuck fermentation or one that wouldn't start? I know the starter and the nutrients will work against these problems, but I was wondering if anyone had this happen.

+Quote Post
mike911
post Sep 12 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #8

Brewer

Ken Schramm mentions a minimum of 300 ppm potassium level for nutrients in a must (from the FAQs). Does the Fermaid K, in the amounts suggested by Schramm in his nutrient addition schedule, supply this amount? I have read his book and know this is probably a needless question, but it was mentioned separately in the quote in the FAQ, so I just had to ask...

Also, what would the ideal temp for fermentation be?

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 12 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #9

Brewer

Member No.: 104

QUOTE(mike911 @ Sep 12 2006, 07:02 PM) *
Ken Schramm mentions a minimum of 300 ppm potassium level for nutrients in a must (from the FAQs). Does the Fermaid K, in the amounts suggested by Schramm in his nutrient addition schedule, supply this amount? I have read his book and know this is probably a needless question, but it was mentioned separately in the quote in the FAQ, so I just had to ask...

I'm not sure about Fermaid K, but I will be using the Staggered Nutrient technique developed by HighTest. Note in this topic he updates it a couple of times by the end of the first page, so read on and scroll down.

As for the temp, from the Lavlin site:
This strain was isolated from grapes grown in the Côte de Rhône region of France by Dr. Dominique Delteil, head of the Microbiology Department, Institut Coopératif du Vin (ICV), in Montpellier. ICV D-47 strain was selected from 450 isolates collected between 1986 and 1990.

OENOLOGICAL PROPERTIES AND APPLICATIONS
The ICV D-47 is a low-foaming quick fermenter that settles well, forming a compact lees at the end of fermentation. This strain tolerates fermentation temperatures ranging from 10° to 30°C (50° to 86°F) and enhances mouthfeel due to complex carbohydrates. Malolactic fermentation proceeds well in wine made with ICV D-47.

This strain is recommended for making wines from white varieties such as Chardonnay and Rosé. It is also an excellent choice for producing mead, however be sure to supplement with yeast nutrients, especially usable nitrogen.

My basement ranges from 66-70F depending on how often the AC comes on, and I'm not having any fermentation issues with my D-47 batches.

+Quote Post
Matt the Mead Ma...
post Sep 12 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

BrewDude -
A couple of quick points:
1) I edited your link in the above post to point to the Staggered Nutrient Addition FAQ, which contains the latest version HighTest's SNA schedule. I didn't mean to step on your toes there but the post you linked to didn't have it and I'd like to avoid confusion.
2) This recipe uses Eau de Vie - not Lalvin D47. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

QUOTE(mike911 @ Sep 12 2006, 08:02 PM) *

Given the DME, cider, and apple butter, and an SNA schedule I'll wager that this recipe has plenty of nutrients. That's totally not analytical but I'd be shocked if I'm wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

QUOTE(mike911 @ Sep 12 2006, 08:02 PM) *

Last time, I fermented it at 60° which was 5° colder than the bottom of the recommended range for Eau de Vie. I wanted to ferment it as cold as possible in order to avoid fusel alcohols in this high octane brew. I had no major problems but probably wouldn't dare go much colder. I'll probably shoot for around 65° this time due to the fact that the last batch came in at 18% abv and is a bit sweeter than I'd ideally prefer. Eau de Vie is rated to 21% abv.

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 12 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #11

Brewer

QUOTE(Matt the Mead Maker @ Sep 12 2006, 09:50 PM) *
This recipe uses Eau de Vie - not Lalvin D47. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

Doh! Wrong brew. Here's the scoop from the Wyeast site:

3347 Eau de Vie
Temperature Range 65 - 80° F
Residual Sugar 0%

+Quote Post
hiddendragonet
post Sep 13 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #12

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,234

Not sure what date I'll be able to brew this, but I'm in!

+Quote Post
pods8
post Sep 18 2006, 07:27 PM
Post #13

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,518

Hmmm, I just picked up 4 gal of pressed cider to make a cyser. I was quickly looking at this recipe and the fall bounty one from last fall, anyone have a shove for me in either direction of why I should brew one of these or the other? Not very familar with apple butter either. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sorry.gif)

+Quote Post
Hop Mania
post Sep 19 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,590

anyone having trouble finding this yeast? I just can't seem to find it anywhere.

+Quote Post
BrewDude
post Sep 19 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #15

Brewer

QUOTE(Hop Mania @ Sep 19 2006, 07:54 PM) *
anyone having trouble finding this yeast? I just can't seem to find it anywhere.

I had to special order it from my LHBS. It WAS 3347, but it's now 4347. Specifics:

Wyeast Activator Smack Pack
#4347 Eau De Vie

Hope this helps.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 08:23 AM