Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Saison, Complete kick ass recipe.
ChicagoWaterGuy
post Jul 16 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #61

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,219

I just brewed this one. Original recipe is bubbling away in the basement in a large tub of water with aquarium heater.

Would I need champagne bottles to bottle this one or should I just keg? What volumes of co2 are you looking for in the finished product?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
makapol
post Aug 4 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #62

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,512

i am in the process of late fermentation of this exact recipe now. It has been a week and and I (again) missed one crucial position, and that is fermentation temp. I live in mi, and the temps last week were mid 80's during the day and 70's during the night. i left this batch upstairs to start out. i am hopin that the yeast could still add its impact and that the harshness possibility here is minimized.

+Quote Post
zendog
post Jun 18 2011, 06:01 PM
Post #63

Group: New Member
Member No.: 16,760

Thumbs up for this recipe! Thought I would share my process as I have read lots of frustrating stories about WLP 565; even JZ said he has problems with attenuation. I had no such problems.

Grain: 100% Colorado Base Pale (Colorado Malting). I live in Denver, so used local as the Belgians would...

I mashed similar to the OP; (except I was at 140 for the first 15 min. due to under-shooting target), increased to 144 for 1.25 hrs, then 151 for 1 hr.

My hop schedule is a bit different:
Mt Hood @ FWH, 1 oz
Columbus @ 60 min, .25 oz
Mt Hood @ 15 min, 1 oz
Columbus @ knockout, .75 oz (5 min steep)
Total boil time: 90 minutes

OG: 1057

Fermentation:
Pitched WLP565 @ 69F.
At the end of the following day, temp had risen on its own to 74F.
Day 2, placed carboy in water bath at 76F for 2 days.
Day 4, increased to 80F
Day 7, SG: 1006, removed from waterbath
Transferred to secondary, added 1oz of Columbus, left at ambient for 2 weeks (68F)
Day 21, SG: 1005

Other notes:
I used a 1L starter, which I decanted.
I used pure O2 for 2 minutes prior to pitching.
Instead of an air-lock, I placed a fairly loose fitting piece of foil over the neck of the carboy, as I read somewhere that 565 can be sensitive to pressure? Not sure if it had an effect, but I did all I could to let this yeast do its thing!

So far the taste is great with spicy/citrus notes and well-balanced. I am crash chilling the secondary in a fridge; will leave until it appears fairly clear (1-2 wks). Then will keg and condition for a month.

Hope this helps.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2018 - 08:09 AM