> Hop 10 Cubed, Stop the Madness!
just-cj
post Oct 16 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #16

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,655

Another 100 grams added!

(IMG:http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/just-cj/Linked%20Beer%20Pics/Hop_Addition.jpg)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
drewseslu
post Oct 16 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #17

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,736

Holy hopheads, Batman!

We had bit of the HOPocalypse after the BJCP meeting last night...the consensus was that it was basically isomerized hop extract...with dry hops.

Looks good, CJ, brew on!

+Quote Post
Doc
post Oct 17 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #18

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 2,370

oh yeah, I smell that aroma coming off the kettle.
Will there be any wort left at the end of the boil to ferment ? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif)

Doc

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Oct 17 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #19

Brewmaster

Okay, I'm done! Man does the house smell like hops!!!! Luckily my wife was home all day, so she got used to it slowly -- but my daughter is surely going to be screwing up her nose later on. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif)

Here's the last pic for now -- this is the kettle after draining. I think I managed to get around 19 liters, but I didn't take a gravity reading yet. The picture shows my Polarware 40 quart pot -- the paddle is for perspective -- the hops went up to the 16 liter line on my paddle, which is around 17 quarts I think (taking the false bottom into consideration).

(IMG:http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/just-cj/Linked%20Beer%20Pics/This_Is_The_End.jpg)

The wort is a muddy muddy extremely muddy brown color -- no hint of green, unfortunately -- and even after 15 or 20 minutes, the cold break hasn't started settling out. I tried to take a pic of that, but it didn't show up clearly. Gotta go pitch the yeast now, then clean up. Talk to you later . . . make that tomorrow! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/ninja.gif)

+Quote Post
al_bob
post Oct 17 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #20

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,588

What's the best yeast for fermenting hops? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/hehe.gif)

+Quote Post
Jimvy
post Oct 17 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #21

Brewmaster

Member No.: 569

Pictures look fantastic! I wish I could be close enough to try this one.

I did get my order from Hops Direct yesterday.....weighs in at 6#!!! I might keep some of the amarillo around for dry hopping other brews, but I really don't need the rest of it. Hmm....what do I need to add to top this monster? 4.5#? Holy crap.

+Quote Post
Doc
post Oct 25 2006, 07:02 AM
Post #22

Assistant Brewer

Dying for an update CJ. How is that airlock smelling (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sorry.gif) ?

Doc

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Oct 25 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #23

Brewmaster

Primary died out a few days ago, but I haven't had time to transfer yet. Tomorrow is bottling, transferring, and getting-ready-to-brew-on-Saturday day. I'll update this one and the Triple IPA I made last New Year's as well as the Autumn beer if I get that far. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Oct 26 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #24

Brewmaster

Okay, just got done with the transfer -- I transferred about 5.5 gallons into a 10-gallon corny with 5 grams each of Amarillo, Cascade, Glacier and Simcoe dry hops. I'll be adding dry hops three (or maybe four) more times in three-day intervals. Then around November 10th or 12th I'll transfer into a corny and into the fridge. My tasting notes:

Incredible aroma! Spicy, flowery, fruity -- very full and complex. Amazing bitterness up front, continues in middle and finish. Aftertaste bitterness lingers for a long time! (I tasted it about 10 minutes ago, and it's still lingering! ) Golden brown, very hazy (didn't cool fermenter before transferring), somewhat yeasty. Can't wait for after dry hopping!

OG was 1.068, FG = 1.015. Nice beer, amazingly nice! I'm happy. I'm smiling. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
consumes
post Oct 26 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #25

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,329

talk about hop heaven ... i did a 5gal batch with 4 1/2 oz's ... i cant compete with that insanity ... glad you like how it turned out

+Quote Post
JMUBrew
post Oct 27 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #26

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,280

Holy lupulins cj! Talk about Hops!

(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif) Looking forward to a bottle if you do the Beer pass!

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Oct 27 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #27

Brewmaster

QUOTE(JMUBrew @ Oct 28 2006, 12:06 PM) *
Holy lupulins cj! Talk about Hops!

(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif) Looking forward to a bottle if you do the Beer pass!
Hell, by the time I'm able to get a bottle to the States, it'll probably have conditioned out to a mere 100 IBUs or something wimpy like that! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/devil.gif)

One that that I think I forgot to mention (until reminded in another thread) -- the hops didn't absorb nearly as much as I'd expected. I transferred from the kettle very very slowly, letting the wort drain from the hops. I was worried at the end of the boil, though, because it didn't seem like there was a lot liquid left -- it was more like a thick (and I mean THICK! ) hop stew. I could barely stir in the last few additions. So, once the level of the wort got below the false bottom, I "sparged" with 2-3 liters of hot water. But then I ended up overshooting my volume by . . . 2-3 liters! I did start the boil with three extra liters of wort, and that probably would have been perfect. Overall my OG was under my target (1.068 when I was hoping for 1.075), but my FG was a nice 1.015. I think I can still taste the lingering bitterness from my tasting yesterday!

+Quote Post
Yeasty Boy
post Oct 27 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #28

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,954

Well, that's one way to get rid of old stock....
I've had some insanely hoppy beers, and enjoyed a few of them. Wonder how this thing will come off. 15 seems a little on the low side for all those hops. (Basically terminal hopitude, right?) But with a 150 mash I assume that's what you were going for. Hope it turns your toenails upward.
On another note, have you used Newports much? Can you tell me anything about them?

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Oct 28 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #29

Brewmaster

Newport HOTW -- not a whole lot of information there, but feel free to bring that thread up to the front and see if there are any new experiences.

+Quote Post
Doc
post Oct 29 2006, 05:02 AM
Post #30

Assistant Brewer

I think the beer will have a green head with all the dry hops as well.
FG of 1.015 is great, but even at 1.025 I don't think anyone would notice (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif)
Keep the feedback coming CJ.

Oh, and how is the update with the Triple IPA ?

Beers,
Doc

This post has been edited by Doc: Oct 29 2006, 05:03 AM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd December 2022 - 02:41 PM