Total Votes: 2
Guests cannot vote 
borny
post Oct 18 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 253

English mead made is West Sussex, matured in oak barrels. Packaged in clear corked bottles with midevil town on the label and peasants drinking.

Appearance, clear/brillant, straw like hue and still. Thick, with nice "legs."

Aroma, sweet honey with a slight hint of oak. The oak complements the honey notes.

Flavor, sweet honey front that coats the tongue, followed by a oak twinge and mild alcohol presence. Slight acidity level leaving a crisp, but strong honey aftertaste.

Overall impression, This is nice dessert mead. Would go nice with berries and chocolate. I prolly wouldn't buy tons of it, but it would make complete finish to a meal.

I give it a 7....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ScottS
post Oct 19 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 1,340

I tried this mead once. It tasted strongly of sulfites, and oddly, of black pepper. Not worth the money, in my opinion.

I've tried other products from Lurgashall, and they only went downhill from there. I won't buy anything from them anymore.

+Quote Post
borny
post Oct 19 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

It was my impression that if a wine contains sulfites the label would have to mention that....

+Quote Post
ScottS
post Oct 19 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(borny @ Oct 19 2006, 10:14 AM) *
It was my impression that if a wine contains sulfites the label would have to mention that....

Yes, if it is above some low threshold they are required to mention it. However, there is a huge range of concentrations in which sulfites can be used, ranging from undetectable to the tongue all the way to dominating the flavor of the wine. I'm beginning to think that California whites have sulfites as part of the standard flavor profile, and many commercial meads have the same issue.

Did the bottle not say "Contains Sulfites" somewhere?

+Quote Post
borny
post Oct 20 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #5

Brewmaster

QUOTE(ScottS @ Oct 19 2006, 11:32 AM) *
Did the bottle not say "Contains Sulfites" somewhere?

From a brief look, I didn't see it say "Contains Sulfites." I already threw the bottle away and the garbage man came before I had a chance to retrieve it... I guess I don't have a sensitivity to sulfites and wanting to know what you were tasting that you got the sulphur taste. Does it taste like burning matches?

Also, I was doing some research on this mead and apparently they use used whiskey and rum barrels, so the whiskey flavor adds a usual dominate flavor.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th August 2018 - 04:22 AM