Guests cannot vote 
ScottS
post Oct 19 2006, 07:51 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 1,340

Order it here.

This is the flagship of Redstone's more traditional mead line - 12% ABV and still. They have many flavor variations of this mead that I haven't tried. All can be found at the link above.

This is one of the more unpleasant commerical show meads that I've tried. Heavy and harsh on the tongue, with a sulfite kick that slaps you in the face. I drank 1/2 the bottle and dumped the rest.

I definitely would not buy it again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Dec 17 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 937

Interesting since Redstone doesn't use sulfites.

+Quote Post
ScottS
post Dec 18 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(MtnBrewer @ Dec 17 2006, 07:59 PM) *
Interesting since Redstone doesn't use sulfites.

Really? I'm going to have to dig out my bottle and check.

If not, obviously I'm mistaking the flavor for something else.

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Dec 18 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #4

Brewmaster

QUOTE(ScottS @ Dec 18 2006, 08:43 AM) *
Really? I'm going to have to dig out my bottle and check.

If not, obviously I'm mistaking the flavor for something else.

Yep. They do use potassium sorbate in some of their meads though. I'm not sure if that can cause the same taste you experienced.

+Quote Post
Oskaar
post Dec 19 2006, 03:10 AM
Post #5

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 4,618

I reviewed the Redstone Mead for gotmead.com and I'm not overly impressed with it either.

Here's a link to the review.

The flavor I think you're experiencing is a byproduct of the Montrachet yeast when it is not dosed correctly with nutrient, and the fermentation proceeds unmanaged based on my experience with Montrachet yeast. There are some wine yeasts that translate wonderfully to mead making (71B, D47, D254, K1, RC212, etc.) but I don't feel that Montrachet is one of them. I know a number of people who have stopped using it.

There is a distinctive "burnt plastic" flavor in that mead, and at the time I wrote the review I felt it could age out, however based on recent tastings this has not been the case. The flavor still presents strongly from front to back and only fades with a lot of swirling and air time. To an impatient drinker like me, it's highly unattractive in that respect. It does have some nice undertones, but that polyvinyl flavor just kills it for me.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

+Quote Post
wayneb
post Feb 3 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,313

Interesting - I tried various Redstone products, including this one, at a tasting a couple of years back in Boulder, and I detected none of the harshness or Phenolic overtones that you guys tasted. I wonder if they've changed the recipe and/or pushed a faster fermentation by overdoing the nutrient. I still use Montrachet yeast for my heavier SG meads, because I prefer a natural stop to fermentation rather than using sulfites, and when a high alcohol content and residual sweetness are present in the result, the phenol overtones do eventually age out -- but it will take a few years. Montrachet is definitely not the yeast to use when you want the result to mature and smooth out quickly!

+Quote Post
wayneb
post Aug 12 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #7

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,313

QUOTE(wayneb @ Feb 3 2007, 09:34 PM) *
Interesting - I tried various Redstone products, including this one, at a tasting a couple of years back in Boulder, and I detected none of the harshness or Phenolic overtones that you guys tasted. I wonder if they've changed the recipe and/or pushed a faster fermentation by overdoing the nutrient. I still use Montrachet yeast for my heavier SG meads, because I prefer a natural stop to fermentation rather than using sulfites, and when a high alcohol content and residual sweetness are present in the result, the phenol overtones do eventually age out -- but it will take a few years. Montrachet is definitely not the yeast to use when you want the result to mature and smooth out quickly!

OK - I'm replying to my own post because I've learned a lot about how to properly treat Montrachet yeast in the past 6 months. I've now used Red Star Montrachet with a staggered nutrient addition profile, and the difference in fermentation kinetics is nothing less than amazing! Very quick fermentation (less than 3 weeks), to complete dryness from a starting gravity of 1.125, and NO phenolic off-flavors or aroma.

After 25 years of meadmaking, I still have much to learn!!

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Aug 13 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #8

Brewmaster

Wayne do you know what their nutrient addition schedule is (or if they even have one)? I keep meaning to ask when I'm there but always forget.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018 - 10:33 PM