Guests cannot vote 
ScottS
post Oct 19 2006, 08:03 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 1,340

Order it here.

This is the most expensive commerical mead I've seen, at $50 per 500 ml bottle for the young mead. It seems they've got it priced so that it goes up $10 per year as it ages.

I've only tried the 2001 Blackberry Reserve, which is sold out. I've tried two different bottles of it.

The first bottle was pure heaven - silky mouthfeel, pleasantly sweet, strong blackberry flavor. The whole thing was a blend of pure heaven, exactly what a good sweet melomel should be. My friend and I kept the bottle for about a year afterwards - smelling it was almost as good as drinking the stuff in the first place.

The second bottle was good, but not as good. It seemed more watery and a bit flat in taste. I was surprised, as I believe Redstone made this stuff all as one batch. Why there was variation from bottle to bottle, I don't really know.

I'm going to score it an 8, which I'd consider to be an average of the two bottles I tried.

I have not tasted the 2002 Red Raspberry Reserve or the 2003 Boysenberry Reserve. As far as I know, they are using the same methodology for these two vintages, so I would be surprised if the end product varied significantly from the 2001 vintage.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Dec 17 2006, 08:10 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 937

I didn't get a chance to try the 2001 before they sold out. But I was at the meadery yesterday and sampled the 2002 Red Raspberry and 2003 Boysenberry.

The 2003 had a nice honey nose up front that gave way to an aroma that was very reminiscent of a good Beerenauslese Riesling. The fruit was more saturated than in their other melomels and it was also intensely sweet. There seemed to be plenty of tartness from the fruit to back up the sweetness. The only place I noticed much honey character was in the aroma. The fruit flavors seemed to overwhelm the honey.

The 2002 was much more intense than the 2003. The aroma was similar to the boysenberry but the fruit was more up front. It was bursting with raspberry flavor and well-balanced. Dessert-in-a-glass. The price for this puppy is now $60 but I was tempted to buy a bottle.

Incidentally, the 2004 will be a cyser. Also, they are fermenting a super reserve that they're trying to coax up to 18% ABV.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018 - 10:33 PM