Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
borny
post Oct 27 2006, 01:35 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 253

Wild Blossom Meadery is located on the Southside of Chicago. I may be a little biased in my review because I've met the head Vitner and he is a real cool guy and very enthusiastic about his meads. Also, he is a bee keeper and distributor, so most of the honey is collected from, I believe, from the Indiana dunes and other prairies in the Midwest. I've also bought bulk honey from here.

Packaging - Clear, synthic corked 750ml bottles. Simple yet elegant label. Contains sulfites. No visual damage to the bottle. Also, I believe these are packaged at a young age comparitively speaking. (~1year)

Appearance - golden straw color, brillant with some bubbles collecting on the glass.

Aroma - Delicate floral yet grapey aroma with a strong alcohol presence. -after having a taste, I began to catch a unique smell. I've smelled it before, but can't put my foot on it....

Taste - sweet alcohol, but not cloying, up front. Definate honey character and a touch of concord grape(?) sweetness followed by a wash of alcohol and the "typical" mead after taste. The grape flavor continues long after the honey taste disapears.

Overall impression - Balance towards sweetness, but not cloying. Strong dominating honey - wine character. Enjoyable, but not for the weak hearted. I think for someone who is put off by alcohol flavor and aroma might not give this wine a chance. Probably could stand to age a little longer. A little sweet for my taste, but nonetheless I enjoyed it and will definately buy some more.

I feel this mead could hold up to the flavors of a grilled steak or prime rib dinner. This would also go nice with a Thanksgiving meal.

**disclaimer** I'm an ametuer taster and I've just begun to taste professional meads at a regular interval. I've had many meads, mainly by homebrewers though. I also don't have any formal training or experience in tastings and I realize my palate may not be as refined as others....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2018 - 04:50 PM