Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
erichonour
post Dec 22 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,500

I'm drinking my first bottle of Bell's HopSlam right now. It's actually a bit on the tame side as DIPAs go, or at least this bottle is. It pours pretty clear if you avoid the yeast at the bottom, as I did. Little in the way of head, even with a pretty vigorous pour, but what's there lingers, with some decent lacing down the side of the glass. The nose is subdued as DIPAs go, but smells of pungent, strong hops. The taste is quite bitter, but is actually more in balance than Bell's Two-Hearted IPA, I think. The malt backbone is very strong and helps to offset what really are a large dose of hops.

This beer is currently scoring a 91 on BeerAdvocate.com. While the first review lauds the beer highly, I tend to agree more with the next several reviews, whose gist is, "it's very good, but not among the absolute best DIPAs out there." That's as opposed to my feelings about their Two-Hearted, which are that it is one of the absolute best IPAs I've had to date.

EH
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AleWifeIndy
post Feb 4 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #2

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 7,703

QUOTE(erichonour @ Dec 22 2006, 10:31 PM) *
I'm drinking my first bottle of Bell's HopSlam right now. It's actually a bit on the tame side as DIPAs go, or at least this bottle is. It pours pretty clear if you avoid the yeast at the bottom, as I did. Little in the way of head, even with a pretty vigorous pour, but what's there lingers, with some decent lacing down the side of the glass. The nose is subdued as DIPAs go, but smells of pungent, strong hops. The taste is quite bitter, but is actually more in balance than Bell's Two-Hearted IPA, I think. The malt backbone is very strong and helps to offset what really are a large dose of hops.

This beer is currently scoring a 91 on BeerAdvocate.com. While the first review lauds the beer highly, I tend to agree more with the next several reviews, whose gist is, "it's very good, but not among the absolute best DIPAs out there." That's as opposed to my feelings about their Two-Hearted, which are that it is one of the absolute best IPAs I've had to date.

EH

It's one of my favorite DIPAs because I like the clean citrusiness of it. The first batch tasted like fermented grapefruit juice, it was awesome. I also think the bottle is better than the draft version. I think many people like it because it's so well-balanced, 100+ IBUs and you'd never know it. Doesn't get sweet like DFH 90 and doesn't kick you in the teeth like Ruination (which I also dearly love).

+Quote Post
Stevie
post Feb 15 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #3

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 11,367

As of this particular time Hopslam is one of the best beers I have tasted. It is well balanced for a beer with such a hoppiness. It pours clear and golden yellow. It is a very drinkable beer, unlike some that make you want to quit after the first one. At over 10% it is certainly a good way to keep your buzz with feling the bloat.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 09:54 AM