IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules PLEASE READ Before Submitting Recipes for Review
12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Community Spring Ale, Final Recipes, Base Malts, International Hops, Kolsch Yeast
just-cj
post Feb 5 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,655

So, here we go with the final recipes for the BrewBoard Community Spring Ale for 2007. I made some adjustments in the recipes, based on posted comments and PM messages I received -- anyone who wants to make substitutes can look back at the previous threads (just do a search for "Community Spring") for ideas. I'm looking forward to reading all about the beers you guys make with these. Thanks everyone!

====================

Community Spring Beer, all-grain
5.5 gallons
OG = 1.055 (@75% efficiency)
IBUs = 40 (but with emphasis on hop flavor and aroma)
Color = Golden (~7-8 SRM)

Grains
2.0 pounds Maris Otter Pale Malt [sub: Golden Promise]
2.0 pounds Vienna Malt
3.5 pounds Munich Malt
2.0 pounds Pilsner Malt
2.0 pounds Light Wheat Malt [sub: Rye Malt -or- Oat Malt]

Hops, Super HopBurst
1.5 oz Amarillo (8.5%) first wort hops (calculates as 20 min addition) [sub: Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Columbus]
1.25 oz East Kent Golding (5.0%) 15 min [sub: US Golding]
1.25 oz East Kent Golding (5.0%) 10 min [sub: US Golding]
0.75 oz Saaz (5.0%) 5 min [sub: Sterling]
0.75 oz Saaz (5.0%) end of boil [sub: Sterling]

Yeast
White Labs 029 German Ale/Kolsch -or- Wyeast 2565 Kolsch

Mash grains at 150-155F (lower for more fermentable drier beer, higher for less fermentable malty beer) for 60 minutes, sparge to collect enough wort to allow for 5.5 gallons after a 60-minute boil. Add first wort hops as soon as runoff begins and follow other hopping as above. Chill to 60F after boil, oxygenate, and pitch a large yeast slurry. Ferment at ~65F for 7-10 days (FG ~1.013), transfer and cold condition for ~4 weeks.

====================

Community Spring Ale, partial-mash
5.5 gallons
OG = 1.055 (@60% efficiency)
IBUs = 40 (but with emphasis on hop flavor and aroma)
Color = Golden (~7-8 SRM)

Grains for partial-mash
1.0 pounds Vienna Malt
2.0 pounds Munich Malt

Extract
3 pounds light DME
1 pounds amber DME
2 pounds wheat DME [option: add 1 pound Rye Malt to partial-mash, reduce wheat to 1.5 pounds]

Hops, Super HopBurst
1.5 oz Amarillo (8.5%) first wort hops (calculates as 20 min addition) [sub: Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Columbus]
[Note: After doing partial mash, add first wort hops to brewpot and steep at ~150-160F for 30 min. Don't remove hops before boiling.]
1.5 oz East Kent Golding (5.0%) 15 min [sub: US Golding]
1.5 oz East Kent Golding (5.0%) 10 min [sub: US Golding]
0.75 oz Saaz (5.0%) 5 min [sub: Sterling]
0.75 oz Saaz (5.0%) end of boil [sub: Sterling]
[Note: Partial-mash hopping assumes a partial boil; if doing a full boil, use hopping amounts from all-grain recipe]

Yeast
White Labs 029 German Ale/Kolsch -or- Wyeast 2565 Kolsch

Mash grains in 1 gallon of water and hold at 150-155F for 60 minutes. Recirculate runoff through grains one or two times until most grain particles are filtered out of runoff. Rinse grains with around 1 gallon of 170F water. In brewpot, add first wort hops and steep for ~30 minutes, then add wheat DME, top off, and bring to a boil. Do not remove the first wort hops, they should remain in the brewpot throughout the boil. With 10 minutes left in the boil, add remaining DME. After boil, chill and top off to 5.5 gallons. Ferment as in all-grain recipe.

====================

Edit: Forgot the yeast -- duh! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/withstupid.gif)

This post has been edited by MtnBrewer: Mar 8 2007, 05:32 PM
Reason for edit: Because CJ said so
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
azmtnbiker
post Feb 5 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,896

I think the 2565 leaves the beer a little more fruity/tart compared to the 029. I like the 029 more for an alt/kolsch type beer. It seems to leave the beer cleaner with more malt/hop character. Just my 02.

Looks like an intersting beer. It will be interesting to see how the beers turn out.

+Quote Post
Salsgebom
post Feb 5 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,763

Looks good. This will be my first community beer attempt.. really looking forward to it! Flavorful base malts, a hoppy finish and relatively clean yeast- it should turn out just fine. I wont be using any substitutions, I'll mash on the sweeter side and using Wyeast. Good Luck everyone!

+Quote Post
Pseudolus
post Feb 5 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,641

Partial mash question: I can mash about 7.5 lbs of grain. So I'll be mashing all of the AG's munich and vienna. The wheat can easily be obtained via DME (typical wheat DME is ~50/50 wheat/2-row, right?). So I have two more pounds of grain I can work with - either British Pale (my LHBS doesn't carry MO, I think their British Pale is a Muton's product) or pilsner malt. Flavorwise, what might I be better off with?

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Feb 5 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

I'd say you'd be better off with the British Pale -- it has a more robust flavor to me than pilsner malt. So, I'd go with the Pale Malt, Munich, Vienna and then enough wheat DME to get you to the required gravity.

+Quote Post
Pseudolus
post Feb 5 2007, 08:43 PM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,641

Maybe I should add just a pinch of pilsner. I was the guy that made you include it in the grain choices to begin with. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

Anyway, FWIW, here's what I've come up with as a "meso-mash" version (bigger than a partial, not quite AG):

Community Spring Ale - 2007

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 4.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.00
Anticipated OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.61
Anticipated SRM: 6.8
Anticipated IBU: 44.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
38.9 3.50 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
22.2 2.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
22.2 2.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
16.7 1.50 lbs. Wheat DME England 1.044 7

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.50 30.3 First WH
1.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 6.6 15 min.
1.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 5.0 10 min.
0.75 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 5.00 2.5 5 min.
0.75 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 5.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch

+Quote Post
jimdkc
post Feb 5 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #7

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,503

Great looking recipe! I like the hop distribution in this version much better.

Thanks again, CJ!

Jim

+Quote Post
sdeweese
post Feb 5 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #8

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,077

I brewed our Spring Ale yesterday following the all grain recipe to the best of my ability except for the yeast, which I subbed a slurry of WL 007/500 because I had it and ready. Came off at 1.053, one of the lowest OG I've done in a long time. The hydro sample was not dissimilar to an Ofest I brewed a few months ago. If all goes well with the fermentation I hope to include it in the February pass.

just-cj: you worked your fanny off on this one more than the Winter Ale-I can only guess how many hours you spent on this thing-but it's been worth it for me to watch the evolution.

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Feb 5 2007, 10:23 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Hey, no problem -- I thank everyone who provided input, either in the threads or by PM, and especially those who provided greatly needed critiques of the preliminary recipes. I kind of lost my way on this one, but due to the community's effort, I think the end result is one of the best we've done. Now I just have to get my yeast ordered up and fit this in the brew schedule somehow.
Came off at 1.053, one of the lowest OG I've done in a long time.
How does this compare with your usual efficiency? I dropped the efficiency for the recipe down to 75%, so it should come in right around 1.055. Just wondering, in case we have to make some adjustments in the amounts of grains.

+Quote Post
dime0000
post Feb 5 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,872

sweet - i may brew this as the next beer.

I may do some subbing, though. Hope no one minds (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif) This may be the beer I make for a more "global" crowd, being that it's going to be golden. The daughter's birthday is coming, and so is Wrestlemania (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/hehe.gif)

That'll mean a little lowering of the IBUs. May even make that OG in the high 40s too.

I'll probably mash in at the lower end of the spectrum - 148 to 150.
I'll give that hop schedule a try - i've never done a hop burst, let alone a super one.

I'm a cheapy, so i may just use plain old Rahr American 2 row instead of the Marris Otter and the Pilsner..
Finally - I may actually plop in Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale instead. I have a mason jar full of it. Gotta keep that yeast going.

This post has been edited by dime0000: Feb 5 2007, 10:53 PM

+Quote Post
sdeweese
post Feb 5 2007, 11:35 PM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,077

QUOTE(just-cj @ Feb 5 2007, 10:23 PM) *
Hey, no problem -- I thank everyone who provided input, either in the threads or by PM, and especially those who provided greatly needed critiques of the preliminary recipes. I kind of lost my way on this one, but due to the community's effort, I think the end result is one of the best we've done. Now I just have to get my yeast ordered up and fit this in the brew schedule somehow.
How does this compare with your usual efficiency? I dropped the efficiency for the recipe down to 75%, so it should come in right around 1.055. Just wondering, in case we have to make some adjustments in the amounts of grains.

Actually, the 1.053 was closer to the number than I had anticipated. My efficiency runs pretty low compared to the average on this board (usually around 65-67%) and I normally make up the difference in additional grains. However, because of the multiple types of grains here I didn't want to add surpluses in the wrong direction so I played it straight. I think your 75% to reach 1.055 out of 11.5 lbs. of fermentables might have been a bit conservative. I plugged the recipe into ProMash at 75 and it came up as 1.063.

+Quote Post
Travis
post Feb 5 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #12

Brewer

Member No.: 771

Thanks CJ. I upped the amounts to my typical 65% effeciency and 6 gallons and got it all worked out in promash. I am guessing I will lose some serious worth with nearly 6 oz of hops!

This will be my first use of Kolsh yeast. I hope I can brew this one in a couple weeks with a very healthy starter!

Great work!
Travis

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Feb 6 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #13

Brewmaster

QUOTE(sdeweese @ Feb 6 2007, 01:35 PM) *
I think your 75% to reach 1.055 out of 11.5 lbs. of fermentables might have been a bit conservative. I plugged the recipe into ProMash at 75 and it came up as 1.063.
Thanks for checking that! EVERYONE, before you brew this up (if you're doing the all-grain version), check the recipe with your normal efficiency and adjust the grains as necessary. This is supposed to be a fairly light and easy drinking beer, and if it turns out more like an IPA-strength, that doesn't fit what we set out to do.

+Quote Post
wermerj
post Feb 6 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Member No.: 6,926

This recipe's looking good. I've got a brew lined up for tomorrow, but if I can find the kolsch yeast at my LHBS then I'll brew this on thursday. I'm excited as it's my first attempt at FWH.

+Quote Post
Salsgebom
post Feb 6 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #15

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,763

QUOTE(Pseudolus @ Feb 5 2007, 08:25 PM) *
So I have two more pounds of grain I can work with - either British Pale (my LHBS doesn't carry MO, I think their British Pale is a Muton's product) or pilsner malt. Flavorwise, what might I be better off with?

Muntons pale is Marris Otter.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2020 - 11:06 PM