> Roeselare Blend Options, Sour beer ideas/possible group brew
blktre
post Feb 26 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #16

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE(Smooch @ Feb 26 2007, 11:49 AM) *
Just out of curiousity, could you use a freshly emptied bourbon barrel? I've seen the full barrels on line for as little as $95.

I'd think it would be easier to clean and treat a whiskey barrel than would a wine barrel given the tannins. Plus, the whiskey actually acts like a sanitizer. Not sure about the flavor effects though.

yea, you can use one. The problem w/ a freshly dumped 1st run whiskey barrel is a lot of the whiskey flavor will come thru into the beer. Not good in this deal. A second run whiskey barrel works pretty well. Our current sour beer came from a 2nd run whiskey barrel. Id like a red wine or port barrel just for the chance of getting some of those flavors to pull thru into the character of the sour ale...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cdh
post Feb 26 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #17

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 2,332

I had great luck with Roeselare applied to B3's Fire in the Hole grain bill, hopped to about 24 IBUs with Hallertauer. It took about 9 months to be tasty, and keeps getting better.

I also have another sour project in a keg with the bugs hopefully going crazy now a few months in. Here's what I brewed for that one:

2.5 lb. Belgian pale
2.5 lb. Belgian Pilsner
2 lb. American Vienna
1 lb. American Munich
.25 lb. Belgian CaraMunich
.5 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
.25 lb. Belgian aromatic
.25 lb. Belgian Special B
1 lb. Flaked corn
.25 lb. Torrified wheat
.5 lb. Flaked oats
.25 lb. Honey Malt

Mash high... 155ish.

1 oz Willamette at 60 and another at 15, 1 oz debittered at 60
S-33 dry yeast
Then the dregs from a couple of bottles of the earlier batch of Roeselare'd Fire in the Hold added.

+Quote Post
shaggaroo
post Feb 26 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #18

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 3,944

QUOTE(blktre @ Feb 26 2007, 09:15 AM) *
Yea, this would be so cool. But finding a barrel will be tuff. In Sparrows Wild Brews he goes into depth about scraping the inside of the barrel to be able to get down further into the wood where the little buggers we want live. Also talks about barrel care. Im thinking about scraping the barrel when i get one!

Sounds like a good idea blktre. There's a local orchard that has some used bourbon and wine barrels, so we were thinking of getting the wine barrel, though we haven't decided whether it will live at his place or mine.

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Feb 26 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #19

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 937

Barrels are a good idea (not so sure about bourbon barrels) but I think they're going to be out of reach for most of us in this group brew.

+Quote Post
blktre
post Feb 26 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #20

Brewmaster

QUOTE(MtnBrewer @ Feb 26 2007, 04:53 PM) *
Barrels are a good idea (not so sure about bourbon barrels) but I think they're going to be out of reach for most of us in this group brew.

I agree, so therefore, id like to discuss other fermentation practices concerning this project. I wonder if prolong plastic secondary will be helpful in the slow addition of o2, similiar to o2 introduction from a oak barrel, which should help the sour character of this beer??

+Quote Post
tjthresh
post Feb 26 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #21

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,283

QUOTE(blktre @ Feb 26 2007, 05:52 PM) *
I wonder if prolong plastic secondary will be helpful in the slow addition of o2, similiar to o2 introduction from a oak barrel, which should help the sour character of this beer??

Oxygen

The above link, about halfway down, goes in to a nice little speach on what to use as a fermenter.

This post has been edited by tjthresh: Feb 26 2007, 09:30 PM

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Feb 26 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #22

Brewmaster

QUOTE(blktre @ Feb 26 2007, 05:52 PM) *
I agree, so therefore, id like to discuss other fermentation practices concerning this project. I wonder if prolong plastic secondary will be helpful in the slow addition of o2, similiar to o2 introduction from a oak barrel, which should help the sour character of this beer??

I was discussing this with John Landreman at a party yesterday and he brought up the same point. He's excited about getting some of this yeast and trying it out.

+Quote Post
blktre
post Feb 26 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #23

Brewmaster

QUOTE(MtnBrewer @ Feb 26 2007, 11:12 PM) *
I was discussing this with John Landreman at a party yesterday and he brought up the same point. He's excited about getting some of this yeast and trying it out.

Im dumb...........whos John Landreman? I like his thinking!

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Feb 26 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #24

Brewmaster

QUOTE(blktre @ Feb 26 2007, 09:26 PM) *
Im dumb...........whos John Landreman? I like his thinking!

You don't know who John Landreman is?!?!

+Quote Post
blktre
post Feb 27 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #25

Brewmaster

QUOTE(MtnBrewer @ Feb 27 2007, 12:16 AM) *
You don't know who John Landreman is?!?!

Nope, i live in my own misspelled world. I only come out of it when i want to share a beer ive made.

+Quote Post
doobahstop
post Feb 27 2007, 12:14 PM
Post #26

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,149

QUOTE(Pseudolus @ Feb 24 2007, 08:00 PM) *
I thought that this was going to be available again in April as part of the VSS series. Are some places getting it already? Where? I would love to not have to wait that long. Thanks!

I guess I will be waiting until then, I didnt realize it will be released in April.

Jeff, Ontario Orchards has used wine barrels? Or is it somewhere else? How much are they going for?

+Quote Post
shaggaroo
post Feb 28 2007, 02:20 PM
Post #27

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 3,944

QUOTE(doobahstop @ Feb 27 2007, 12:14 PM) *
Jeff, Ontario Orchards has used wine barrels? Or is it somewhere else? How much are they going for?

Andy, yes Ontario Orchards... I think Casey said something like $50?? And I think we'll be going the used red wine barrel route because the wine barrels have some brettanomyces character in them whereas the bourbon barrels do not... and as we would all agree brettanomyces = tasty beer *yum*

+Quote Post
hiddendragonet
post Mar 1 2007, 03:55 PM
Post #28

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,234

I am in! This will be my first sour beer, although I have a clone of Orval aging currently.

I am interested in the methodology. Are we going with Roselare from the get-go, or just in secondary? It matters because if it's just secondary, then I can use my normal fermenter for primary. This is desirable for me, although if it means the beer won't be as good well then I'll just have to buy another fermenter to set aside.

Thoughts? Recipes? Sparrow's in BYO seem a pretty good starting point?

+Quote Post
doobahstop
post Mar 1 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #29

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,149

It appears that there are a few ways we could go here. We could do the regular kind of group brew where we all brew about the same thing. Some pholks are talking about using barrels for aging, others cant go that route. Im definitely going to look for a barrel and if they are $50 for a used red wine barrel an hour from my house, I am getting one!

One idea that I had was to make a few different beers within a week or two that will all be fermented with the Roselare. I would be interested in trying a pale version, a red version, and perhaps a dark version. The red would probobly be in the oak barrel if I can get it, and I would most likely use oak chips for the pale and dark. I think the pale interests me the most though. The only pale sour beer (besides gueze or Orval or my sour super saison) that I have ever tried was the Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza (or something like that). It was quite interesting, so I wouldnt mind trying it myself.

I also wonder how rye would fare in these sorts of beers... perhaps instead of a dark I could try a rye, or include rye in the dark.

As an update on the yeast, I was told that I would have this stuff by next week, info via Beers of the World via Wyeast. We shall see. Perhaps they are releasing it early due to demand?

+Quote Post
caskconditioned
post Mar 1 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #30

Brewer

Member No.: 4,090

QUOTE(doobahstop @ Mar 1 2007, 02:24 PM) *
One idea that I had was to make a few different beers within a week or two that will all be fermented with the Roselare. I would be interested in trying a pale version, a red version, and perhaps a dark version.

A pale flanders(?) - very interesting idea. I may have to do the same. I have x2 extra carboys I can devote to that beer - maybe I'll try the wood stopper on the carboys.

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2020 - 01:53 PM