> Roeselare Blend Options, Sour beer ideas/possible group brew
blktre
post Aug 20 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #496

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,743

Mike, Greg,
Did you guys use a cerviase strain first then the Roselare in secondary like i did myself or did you use just the Roselare. I don't know if i remember mine doing what yours are doing.

This post has been edited by blktre: Aug 20 2008, 10:45 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Aug 20 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #497

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 937

QUOTE(blktre @ Aug 20 2008, 09:09 AM) *
Mike, Greg,
Did you guys use a cerviase strain first then the Roselare in secondary like it myself or did you use just the Roselare. I don't know if i remember mine doing what yours are doing.

My Roeselare was old so I didn't rely solely on it. I brewed a pale ale using 1056, then I recovered the yeast and used it to ferment the Flanders Red. I also added the bugs to primary because I wanted to make sure mine was sour enough. Mine was in primary long enough to actually start forming a pellicle. When I saw it starting to form, I immediately racked and then it took a couple of weeks for it to re-form.

+Quote Post
dagomike
post Aug 20 2008, 10:27 AM
Post #498

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,942

Both of my batches I did Cal Ale as a regular beer, then racked to a 5 gal carboy and pitched the blend. Last year, I didn't notice any activity other than the scummy stuff. This year it's quite active. Both spent two weeks in the fermenter, so donno. Maybe it's a little warmer down there this summer or something. I guess I'll see in a year or so if it's much different.

+Quote Post
Big Harry Deehl
post Aug 21 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #499

Brewmaster

Member No.: 284

QUOTE(dagomike @ Aug 20 2008, 09:56 AM) *
If anyone wanted to do any trades or maybe do a drawing for trades, I'd be up for that. I could maybe spare 3-4 12-ouncers. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/blush.gif)

Sure. I'm game.

I'll be bottling the other batches soon as well.

+Quote Post
OldSock
post Aug 21 2008, 01:54 PM
Post #500

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,420

My first batch got 530 (Westmalle) in primary and Roeselare in secondary, and let me say at 2 years since brewing it is really coming into its own. The plan with the second batch was to pitch a starter of Roeselare into primary, but when it didnít take off I pitched a pack of US-05 and a slurry I built up from LA Red Poppy. Just took a sample of it last night (~4 months) and it is coming along well, but the pedio has pumped out some diacetyl.

In general Iím pretty happy with the results Iíve been getting from aging my sours in better bottles with a standard airlock/stopper. I just bottled my Flanders Pale Ale (inoculated with the oak from my first Flanders Red and dregs from RR Depuration), which was my first try with an oak peg and airlock through a stopper. The usability was a lot higher (no broken carboy, no CO2 beer fountain, no weeping beer etcÖ), but the results donít seem any better than a standard airlock.

+Quote Post
BelgianBoy
post Aug 21 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #501

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,616

QUOTE(dagomike @ Aug 19 2008, 10:21 PM) *
A word of caution here...

Since this thread got bumped, it reminded me to check on my batch from May. Something wasn't right. The beer level was down considerably. I'd estimate about 1/4 - 1/3 gallon was gone. Then I saw the carpet was stained. I thought maybe the carboy cracked, but actually what happened is so much pressure built up it was pushing beer out of oak dowel. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/eh.gif) I approached it like a live landmine and tweaked the dowel and it shot off with an instant head of CO2 on the beer. That was a little scary. This didn't happen last year, so not sure what the deal is. Anyway, may not want to seal up those glass carboys tight...

I am ready to rack to secondary and will use oak chips in the carboys. Anyone have a suggestion on how much oak to use?

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Aug 21 2008, 06:54 PM
Post #502

Brewmaster

QUOTE(BelgianBoy @ Aug 21 2008, 05:27 PM) *
I am ready to rack to secondary and will use oak chips in the carboys. Anyone have a suggestion on how much oak to use?

I used 2 ounces I believe. Iirc, it was 1 oz. med. plus toast American and 1 oz. med. toast French. Note that I used cubes, which I would highly recommend over chips because I plan to leave them in there for quite a while.

+Quote Post
BelgianBoy
post Aug 22 2008, 08:47 AM
Post #503

Brewmaster

QUOTE(MtnBrewer @ Aug 21 2008, 07:54 PM) *
I used 2 ounces I believe. Iirc, it was 1 oz. med. plus toast American and 1 oz. med. toast French. Note that I used cubes, which I would highly recommend over chips because I plan to leave them in there for quite a while.

I bought the hungarian chips fron NB. I will pitch the 2oz cubes into each carboy.

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Aug 22 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #504

Brewmaster

BB, did you get chips or cubes?

Here's a couple of pictures of Teh Funk:

(IMG:http://www.math.fsu.edu/~gmizell/graphics/Funk/Teh%20Funk%201.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.math.fsu.edu/~gmizell/graphics/Funk/Teh%20Funk%202.JPG)

+Quote Post
Downunder Bloke
post Sep 12 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #505

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 4,265

Yeehah!! 3 months after pitching the Roeselare it looks like the critters are finally starting to work. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

Spring arriving down here has helped. Average temps have risen from 60 degrees to closer to 70 and there seems to be more airlock activity. The pellicle formation seems more advanced on one carboy than the other (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sorry.gif) Who knows.

(IMG:http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9089/dsc00087cz9.jpg)

Report back in another 3 months. This sure is a slow process. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sleeping.gif)

Warren -

+Quote Post
BelgianBoy
post Sep 13 2008, 08:47 AM
Post #506

Brewmaster

QUOTE(MtnBrewer @ Aug 22 2008, 11:25 AM) *

I bought the Hungarian cubes from NB. I was surprised that they were cut up from a wine barrel (RED) I was expecting plain cubes. I have no funk in my carboys yet and it has been about 3-4 weeks since I transferred to glass. I added one package to each carboy and I think they were 2 oz packages. I also tossed in about 1/3 oz of Russian River chips from one of their barrell aged beers into each carboy. I will post some pics when I see some action. If you are interested I will trade you a bottle. I plan on drinking around Christmas 2009

+Quote Post
doobahstop
post Dec 3 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #507

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,149

Well, time to pay the piper... It is just about bottling time for me considering my batch went into the barrel around Thanksgiving last year. I have to do a final inventory on bottles and round up Mob Barley, but hopefully all goes well on a weekend soon. Ugh... this is gonna take forever!

+Quote Post
ewanzel
post Dec 10 2008, 02:01 PM
Post #508

Brewmaster

Member No.: 9,191

QUOTE(doobahstop @ Dec 3 2008, 09:55 PM) *
Well, time to pay the piper... It is just about bottling time for me considering my batch went into the barrel around Thanksgiving last year. I have to do a final inventory on bottles and round up Mob Barley, but hopefully all goes well on a weekend soon. Ugh... this is gonna take forever!

Best of luck with this massive bottling job - mine was well received when I took 2 x 750s to the last club meeting. Are you planning to re-pitch in the barrel for a second go around with the bugs? My second generation brown is chugging along nicely - it seems to be progressing a bit faster then the first batch on these bugs.

+Quote Post
doobahstop
post Dec 15 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #509

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,149

I hadn't planned on reusing the barrel right off the jump just because who knows what the bacteria blend is like population wise at this point. I may use the barrel again, but it needs to be cleaned and whatnot first for me to feel comfortable even with another sour beer. But I wouldn't rule it out yet. What size barrel did you use?

+Quote Post
nfo
post Feb 1 2009, 01:21 PM
Post #510

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 11,210

I brewed a Flander's Red back in August, pretty much using Jamil's recipe. I just took my first measurement and tasting, at the 6 month mark, and was a little disappointed - it's pretty clean tasting (isn't that usually a good thing?) with perhaps slightly accented acidity, and the faintest cherry aroma.

The OG was 1.072, and US-05 took it down to 1.025 or so before I pitched WLP-655 Belgian sour mix (but I couldn't really get the US-05 to stop). Now it's at 1.019, and it's in an airlocked Better Bottle in the basement. Never developed a pellicle, floaties, or other signs of activity. Any suggestions on how to bring a little more funk?

I could just let it sit. It's pretty cool in the basement (New England winter), and it may need more time in warmer conditions. However, going by both SG and taste, it's already pretty dry for the style.

I could add fermentables - I was thinking a few pounds of fruit puree would do the trick. That could take a long time, though, and it's possible some of my guys have already quit working (I suppose the brett is probably still going).

I could add fermentables and more bugs - I've read here that it can be good to pitch bugs with additional food. But maybe I need to have a little more faith in the stuff I originally pitched.

Anyone in a similar situation figure out a way to improve things?

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 36 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th January 2021 - 01:19 AM