Total Votes: 7
Guests cannot vote 
WinkyDowBrewing
post Mar 10 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #1

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,104

The turbo charged version of Dog Fish Heads' - Raison de' Etre. This has many similar fruity notes to it as its weaker counter part. Boasting I think 20% ABV definitely gives a strong alcoholic nose with a slight warming sensation on the back of the throat. Very sweet, almost over powering to help boost that ABV up and beyond. This beer definitely can be aged for a very long time to mellow the flavors out. The raison flavor is appropriately subtle much like the Etre version. I thought this was a nice beer to try, but was a bit overwhelmed by the residual sweetness. I might get another bottle to age 5-10 years and see what happens then, in the meantime I will stick to the more mild Etre version.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jimmy James
post Apr 4 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 8,449

I had the Raison d'Etre last time I stopped in at the Gaithersburg taproom. It also was very sweet, more so than I like. Perhaps if I let my glass warm up a bit some other flavors (besides sweet) would have come through. I did finish the glass, so it wasn't all bad, but then I switched gears.

+Quote Post
hullabrew2
post Sep 11 2007, 01:30 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 9,753

QUOTE(WinkyDowBrewing @ Mar 10 2007, 10:35 AM) *
This beer definitely can be aged for a very long time to mellow the flavors out.

I had the good fortune to be able to try this on tap at the Rehoboth Beach, DE brewpub. It's a great beer, but the drinker needs a very specific taste in beer to be able to drink this. First a taste for Belgian strong darks is needed, and second a tolerance for a very alcoholic flavor. This one is a sipper for sure. I drink many very high ABV beers and this one was even strong for me. That's not to say I didn't love every sip! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif) I think with age the alcohol taste would mild and this would be one excellent beer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2018 - 11:49 PM