just-cj
post Mar 17 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,655

Palisade
New Medium-alpha Hop
Last year over on the NB board, we did Palisade hops as a weekly hop discussion, but there was little input because the hop was so new. There is more information out about it now, and I remember reading that some people here were using them so I thought it would be interesting to gather our collective thoughts. I got some in a hop grab bag that I picked up from a guy on eBay, and I found them to be very interesting.

To get started, here's the info I was able to find on Palisade from Yakima Chief and other sources.
Palisade
Origin/History: Palisadeā„¢ is an aroma type cultivar bred by Yakima Chief Ranches.
Agronomics: Good pickability of a medium size cone.
Brewing Quality: Used for its aromatic properties and moderate bittering.
Maturity: Medium
Alpha acids: 5.5-9.5%
Alpha:Beta ratio: 1.0
Beta acids: 6.0-8.0%
Cohumulone: 24-29% (% of alpha acids)
Total Oil: 1.4-1.6 (mls. of oil per 100g)
Myrcene: 9-10% (as % of total oils)
Caryophyllene: 16-18% (as % of total oils)
Humulene: 19-22% (as % of total oils)
Farnesene: 0% (as % of total oils)
Storage: good
==========
Alpha: 9-10%
Comments: New higher alpha Willamette replacement
Possible Substitutes: Unknown as of yet
Use: British Ales, American Ales
Source: Rooftop Brew
==========
For those of you who like to experiment, this is a new hop on the market and is bred from Swiss Tettnanger. At 8.3% alpha acid it's a medium-bitter hop and has a flavor and aroma similar to a noble hop. They also remind me of a much smoother version of Chinook.
Source: Culver City Homebrewing
==========
Fairly recent American cross of Tettnager and open pollenation resulting in a moderate alpha hop with good aroma characteristics. (Alpha acid 6-10% / beta acid 4-7%)
Source: Wikipedia
==========
Palisade walks the line between bittering and aroma with alpha acids just under 10%. It has a soft, clean finish with characteristics similar to Willamette.
Source: Midwest Supplies

Personally, I didn't find them anything like Willamette. I made a Palisade single-hop pale ale, and it had kind of perfumey aroma and a very mild flavor to them. The bitterness, even though it was calculated at 40 IBUs, was very very smooth to the point where I felt that the beer was underbittered. I would like to try them again, but haven't been able to find whole Palisade since getting that grab bag.

So, does anyone out there have experience with Palisade hops? Commercial brews that use them (I think Rogue or some other west-coast brewery makes a beer with them)? Questions? Comments? Whatever?

Hops and Hop Oils FAQ
List of Previous HOTW

This post has been edited by just-cj: Mar 17 2007, 08:40 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chez
post Mar 17 2007, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Member No.: 1,587

I have not tried Palisade, and have barely heard of it. Cool...a new hop for us to bench-test! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Lagerdemain
post Mar 17 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,024

Never used them, haven't seen them made available at Hops Direct or Freshops or any of the local LHBS. Frankly, if they're even relatively similar to Willamette, I see no reason to bother.

+Quote Post
lowendfrequency
post Mar 17 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,913

I have't tried them as of yet, but would definately consider some experimenting if they were available.

+Quote Post
bobjohnson
post Mar 17 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 2,404

If I rememeber right, they were called for in the 60 Min DHF clone from BYO last year. Nobody from around hear could find them. Be interested to hear what anyone has to say about them or where to get them.

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Mar 18 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Try the links above for Culver City and Midwest -- it seems like they have them.

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Mar 19 2007, 04:18 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

I can't believe that more people haven't tried this hop! Come on, where are all you Palisade brewers?!?!? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Japhmi
post Mar 19 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #8

Brewmaster

Member No.: 999

My LHBS had information about them in a recent newsletter, so I could pick some up. It just hasn't worked itself into my brewing schedule yet.

+Quote Post
Marc Rehfuss
post Mar 19 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #9

Homebrewer

Member No.: 5,410

I used them once in an IPA about a year or so ago. Bittering was either Magnum or Warrior, and Palisade was my flavor and aroma hop (and dry hop). I was unimpressed. The flavor came out vaguely citrusy, but mostly earthy and sweetly floral. No bad at all, just not what I was looking for in an IPA. They didn't really smell that great coming out of the bag for me either. I could see these working out for a British style IPA or ESB, or combined with other varieties for flavoring / aroma additions, however.

Marc

+Quote Post
tripel666
post Mar 19 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,899

Never tried them. Have not seen them available though...

This post has been edited by tripel666: Mar 19 2007, 12:40 PM

+Quote Post
BitterBastard
post Mar 19 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,127

I used these last summer to make an APA, and it was great! It had a flavor that was reminiscent of DFH 60, and the aroma gestured in that direction too, albeit my flavor and aroma additions were equal mixes of Zeus and Palisades. It was perfect in an APA I thought, especailly as a flavor/aroma contributor. I bitterred with Chinook, and I was happy I did that. There wasn't a ton of hop aroma, despite having used a lot of my Zues/Palisade mix. I completely agree with everyone who says its a subtle hop, but I think it would be something fun to experiment with for someone who has a standard house APA (maybe even a less agressive IPA) that they want to tweak. CJ said it all, its perfumey, somewhat spicy, and reminiscent of both noble hops and Chinook at the same time, somehow. I would not bitter with it, I think it would be too smooth. Here's my APA recipe with it, if anyone is interested:

Easy Speakin' Ale
10 Gallon Recipe

2.00 lbs. Maris Otter Pale
0.50 lbs. American Caramel 60°L
0.75 lbs. Belgian Caravienne
0.50 lbs. Belgian Cara-Pils
13.8 lbs. Liquid Light Extract

1.2 oz. Chinook (Pellets, 11.9 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.7 oz. Hop mix (Pellets, 10.25 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1.0 oz. Hop mix (Pellets, 10.25 %AA) boiled 10 min.
1.0 oz. Hop mix (Pellets, 10.25 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1.0 oz. Hop mix (Pellets, 10.25 %AA) boiled 1 min.
Hop mix = 50% Zeus, 50% Palisade

Yeast : WYeast 1098 British Ale

+Quote Post
AleWifeIndy
post Mar 19 2007, 05:50 PM
Post #12

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 7,703

QUOTE(bobjohnson @ Mar 17 2007, 11:52 PM) *
If I rememeber right, they were called for in the 60 Min DHF clone from BYO last year. Nobody from around hear could find them. Be interested to hear what anyone has to say about them or where to get them.

I think somebody figured out Hopslam has Palisades in it, too. Haven't tried it, but my LHBS has 2 oz plugs. On my list for the future.

+Quote Post
knipknup
post May 10 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #13

Group: New Member
Member No.: 8,266

I received some of this from a Hop farm in Idaho. Definitely floral, not citrus. However, very good. I'll be using up the last of it these next two weekends.

+Quote Post
kysmith
post May 10 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,662

I have also seen it in DFH clones. Not tried it but planning on it sometime this fall.

+Quote Post
Jeff Meyers
post May 12 2008, 07:51 AM
Post #15

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,298

Clippery City / Heavy Seas uses Palisades as a feature finishing hop in their IPA along with a small amount of Simcoe. It is one of the best IPA's I've had in a while.

It is very floral.

The only place I've been able to get some is thru an American Hop plug dealer. Consequently, they were very expensive.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th July 2020 - 07:49 AM