> Wooden Brew Sculpture, a pretty nifty design
Jimvy
post Mar 29 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #16

Brewmaster
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 569

Now that is really slick. Too bad I didn't see that a couple years ago......guess I could always accidently burn mine down and start over (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gnef
post Mar 29 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #17

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,663

do you have any plans for that? i'm sure people would be interested in being able to make copies (including me!)

+Quote Post
twilliams
post Mar 29 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #18

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 7,006

OK now you must post plans for us w/ zero talent in taking a picture and building from them. Must have measurements master (in my best Igor voice) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Lagerdemain
post Mar 29 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #19

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,024

Tell ya what, I wouldn't even attempt to build such a stand without a very accurate miter saw and drill press! It wouldn't hurt to have a good source for straight lumber too. Good luck finding straight and true lumber at Home Depot or Lowe's or the like.

+Quote Post
HenryHill
post Mar 29 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #20

Homebrewer

Member No.: 8,746

Nice, clean..minimalist plan. NO drawbacks. Sure, add a swing down type of leg lock on main and lower levels to prohibit inadvertant (staggering...) leg movement, but it ROCKS. I've been wanting to do basically this very same thing, without the welder and the horizontal bandsaw having to help.

Straight lumber is what ya shoots yur eye down the corner of. Avoid all that is not. If you have to grab thru a bunch, that's what you have to do, no matter what you build. This design is quite forgiving, though.

Try folding up your 2 x2 square tube sculpture for when you have a big Halloween party! What would you rather look at, bare titties or iron? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

Thanks Vanderbeer, the gesture will stay with me; thanks for sharing. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
WinkyDowBrewing
post Mar 29 2007, 07:44 PM
Post #21

Brewer

Member No.: 8,104

I think registering a patent is somewhere around $5K-$10K, but regardless you should design some plans and recoup the cost you got hit with to build the 2...and maybe make some more cash for ingredients etc. I think what you've got is something that lots of brewers could use...not big and bulky like most sculptures, very functional, and easy to store out of the way for an apartment or otherwise small abode...I could definitely see myself brewing on something like this.

+Quote Post
St_Francis
post Mar 29 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #22

Homebrewer

Member No.: 5,239

VanderBeer can back me up on this but I am half of the team that designed/built this thing.

I know we had plans (a sketch) for this thing at one point...heck I think I even did it in AutoCAD...yep there it is in the Homebrewing directory.

What I do not have anymore is the BOM (bill of material for those non-engineer types) for all of the misc. stuff that went into it.

If people are really interested maybe WinkyDowBrewing is right and we could make a couple of dollars by selling the plans for a nominal fee. That don't seem very homebrewer like, though.

My fellow designer has often suggested that we add some leg locks but I have maintained that the weight of the keg plus the grains/water (say about 100lbs) makes the force needed to move one of those legs rather significant. It wouldn't be hard to do...just hasn't been done.

Like VanderBeer said... you can stand on all of the platforms...the top tier is for the HLT...the middle is for the mash (the higher one for a simple infusion style, the lower one if you want to attempt a decoction...also works great for the propane stand)...the BK goes on a stand of the ground. Everything was set up for a half barrel keg setup that would be fully gravity feed. We tried to keep the HLT as low as possible so we wouldn't need anything more than a small step ladder to get the water into the HLT with buckets (if we have to).

BTW: everything for the stand came from Lowe's and we only used ordinary tools for the job.

+Quote Post
erichonour
post Mar 29 2007, 09:31 PM
Post #23

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,500

QUOTE(St_Francis @ Mar 29 2007, 09:24 PM) *
VanderBeer can back me up on this but I am half of the team that designed/built this thing.

I know we had plans (a sketch) for this thing at one point...heck I think I even did it in AutoCAD...yep there it is in the Homebrewing directory.

(snip)

BTW: everything for the stand came from Lowe's and we only used ordinary tools for the job.

Right on, man -- excellent work! I have to say, I think it would be awesome for you guys to distribute the plans free of charge, or perhaps on a shareware basis. Of course, as a composer, I'm all about intellectual property rights, so I'd totally understand if you want to try to get some bucks off your work. But I agree that there's something essentially "homebrew" about posting the plans on a website somewhere and telling other homebrewers "there it is, knock yourselves out!"

Anyway, I'm definitely looking at those pics and thinking of doing some carpentry this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif)
EH

+Quote Post
werper
post Mar 29 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #24

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,898

QUOTE(St_Francis @ Mar 29 2007, 09:24 PM) *
My fellow designer has often suggested that we add some leg locks but I have maintained that the weight of the keg plus the grains/water (say about 100lbs) makes the force needed to move one of those legs rather significant. It wouldn't be hard to do...just hasn't been done.

That's a REALLY nice collapsible stand design! Thanks for sharing it here. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

I have no doubt that the stand is very sturdy and strong and a leg would need to take a serious blow to kick it out (or in). But as I'm sure my fellow brewers here can attest to, Murphy loves brewers 'cause we're so easy to f@#k with! If something can happen to your brewery, eventually IT WILL. 5-10 gallons of boiling hot water or wort that is elevated is nothing to play around with - it could be a SERIOUS and painful disaster - or worse if say it's a child or pet that got doused. At the very least it's a heck of a mess, so IMHO I'd want to make it as safe as it can possibly be. With a couple extra pieces of wood to lock the legs in place, you may have just designed the next generation of portable, collapsible brewing sculptures - Great Job! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
tileman
post Mar 30 2007, 09:51 AM
Post #25

Brewer

Member No.: 3,882

I have been collecting bed rails for some time now. I now know what they will be used for (if I get it built sometime soon I will post a pic) Thanks and great job

+Quote Post
St_Francis
post Aug 6 2007, 08:14 PM
Post #26

Homebrewer

OK guys! Here are the plans and some added detail pictures.

(IMG:http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/bake3310/IMG_0009-1.jpg)
Here is the "plan". I had it all in CAD but it is a bit difficult to get it here so I made a hand drawing.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/bak.../IMG_0009-1.jpg

(IMG:http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/bake3310/IMG_0006.jpg)
A picture showing how we used two nuts to lock the bolts.

(IMG:http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/bake3310/IMG_0005.jpg)
Side shot of the lower stand.

(IMG:http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/bake3310/IMG_0004.jpg)
Underside shot of one of the two high/low stand and the extra 2x4 that was added for support.

(IMG:http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/bake3310/IMG_0003.jpg)
Detail of the top stand and how the legs lock against the 2x6s.

(IMG:http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/bake3310/IMG_0002-1.jpg)
"ISO" view of the stand.

(IMG:http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/bake3310/IMG_0001-1.jpg)
Side view of the stand.

+Quote Post
sidney porter
post Aug 6 2007, 08:20 PM
Post #27

Brewmaster

Member No.: 733

really nice

+Quote Post
St_Francis
post Aug 6 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #28

Homebrewer

seems like the detail sheet didn't really work all that well. If you are having too much trouble reading it let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting you a high-res version.

+Quote Post
dagomike
post Aug 6 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #29

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,942

Still looks pretty clean! You should see my cart right now...

+Quote Post
Scott Balikian
post Aug 7 2007, 01:06 AM
Post #30

Homebrewer

Member No.: 8,487

I just gotta say how jealous I am of all of you who have garages to brew in. I have a nice and tiny house, one in which even this tiered system would take up half the basement. But it's cool nonetheless. Luckily, my woman loves it when I brew beer, so I get the kitchen all to myself.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2020 - 01:48 AM