Total Votes: 9
Guests cannot vote 
bob_the_botanist
post Apr 18 2007, 06:31 AM
Post #1

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,278

So what do we think about the hopstopper. I have one and love it when it works, but hate it when it doesn't, which is like 50% of the time. Customer service is excellent and the maker stands beside his product with a money back if not satisfied deal. Still don't know why mine doesn't work all the time, but I hear about people making mods to their hopstopper all the time.

This post has been edited by MtnBrewer: Apr 18 2007, 03:45 PM
Reason for edit: Poll changed from multiple choice and order of poll entries inverted
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
csbosox
post Apr 18 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Member No.: 5,347

I have used mine for a couple batches and I love it so far. I brewed a 10G IPA this weekend with 8.5oz of hops and I had a nice, clear, fast drain of my keggle. It left a pint or two of liquid in the bottom which was mixed in with all the hops and some hot break nastiness. I sure like this better than trying to siphon beer out of the brewpot and getting my auto-siphon clogged with hops. I had some problems, at first, getting a good vacuum going due to the sight tube, but with a little help from the company, I was able to get it worked out. The hopstopper was easy to remove for cleaning. It was expensive, but it is well made, tons bigger than a bazooka t, and worth the price if it continues to work well, which I am confident it will.

+Quote Post
budbo
post May 19 2007, 08:49 AM
Post #3

Group: New Member
Member No.: 9,196

I have been using mine about a year it is great! I have never had any issues with it, I drain the keggle using a wort wizard that creates enough suction to only leave a 1/4 cup or less of wort in the keggle.

+Quote Post
Billhev
post May 21 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #4

Homebrewer

Member No.: 68

Let me first say that I've only brewed one batch with my new hopstopper...It was an American Hefe and used all pellet hops (4 oz in 10 gallons). It started cloudy but cleared very quickly, then I had crystal clear wort for about 9 gallons...then it clogged with about 1 gallon left in the pot. I did get about another 1/2 gallon using an autosiphon but it was pretty cloudy/hoppy. It is an easy product to use and did a good job overall. I may have to adjust my "water needed" in promash to account for the extra wort left in the pot, I had been under the impression that it would leave less liquid when complete.
Bill

+Quote Post
reddog
post Jun 19 2007, 12:53 AM
Post #5

Stewart

Member No.: 4,638

Anybody ever try the hopstopper with a pump? any problems or things to look out for?

+Quote Post
johnsma22
post Jun 19 2007, 01:14 AM
Post #6

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 5,457

QUOTE(reddog @ Jun 19 2007, 01:53 AM) *
Anybody ever try the hopstopper with a pump? any problems or things to look out for?

Yes, I used my HopStopper with a March pump for the first time last thursday. It worked better than it ever did by gravity alone. It only left a couple of pints behind! The most important thing to keep in mind when using a HopStopper is that the compression fitting must be made up tight. If not, and there is an air leak, when the wort reaches the level of the compression fitting the siphon will be lost. I have the stainless model and the compression fitting really had to be cranked down in order to crimp the ferule down tight onto the ss tubing.

+Quote Post
reddog
post Jun 19 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #7

Stewart

Member No.: 4,638

Good feedback on the compression fitting. Would it make better sense to have the brass/copper setup instead of SS? I prefer SS but if the Hopstopper is going to have problems with the seal maybe I need an alternative.

+Quote Post
johnsma22
post Jun 19 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #8

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 5,457

The only time the compression fitting with my SS one needed to be cranked down really hard was the first time. Well, for me it was the second time. Because the first time I didn't do it hard enough to really "set" the ferule onto the hard stainless tubing and I ended up loosing my siphon with more than a couple of gallons left.

Now that the ferule (2 piece ferule for stainless) is set hard onto the tubing, it only takes a normal tightening to seal it up. So if you really want stainless, don't hesitate getting it. Just make sure the ferule is set in good after your first time tightening.

+Quote Post
Thirsty
post Jul 1 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Member No.: 9,246

No issues very glad I bought this. $ batches down so far with it, and got every drop of wort I could. The ball valve needs to be opened a little more than usual to get my same pump flow, but the siphon holds fine and true.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2018 - 06:22 PM